DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Please be on your guard
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 18 Nov 16:03

I was taking my toddler granddaughter out for her daily walk yesterday morning. We tried to cross Woodmill Road at the pedestrian crossing, at the entrance to St Margaret's and Commercial PS. She pressed the button and we waited for the bleeping green man before starting to cross. An old, white, Vauxhall Astra approached at a fast speed from our left. He's going to have to brake quite sharply, I thought to myself. Not a bit of it. He actually accelerated through the red light. Luckily we hadn't reached the far side of the road and we stopped in our tracks.

I don't know if the police can act on the word of a single eye witness, but I was in a state of shock and didn't have my glasses on, so I didn't get the registration no.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Please be on your guard
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 18 Nov 16:12

Shocking G.G. thank goodness you are both OK
I think you need to get the Police involved

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 18 Nov 16:55

Unfortunately without a reg number there's very little the polis can do.
UNLESS.... there's a rogue white astra driving idiot out there that they know about already of course.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 18 Nov 16:57

My thoughts widtink

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 18 Nov 17:13

No cctv coverage?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Thu 18 Nov 17:30

Happens on a very regular basis & with many different drivers at the Pelican Crossing in Crossford next to the park (marginally more women do it than men which is the surprising thing I notice while trying to avoid my dogs getting splattered).

Tend to just go to the full traffic lights now - which are also an optional stop it seems depending on how close to amber the red was.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 18 Nov 17:32

I can't help thinking that had that been a couple of kids crossing, they'd just have kept on walking, confident that the car would have to stop at the red light. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Even at my age, I've learned a lesson - don't start to cross until you're absolutely sure any cars are stopping.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 18 Nov 18:10

[Post Deleted] - swearing will not be tolerated on this site under any circumstances.
Admin
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Thu 18 Nov 18:10

This is a distressing tale, but it doesn’t entirely surprise me. The fool driving his/her car in this manner shows utter disregard for the safety and well-being of other people, but I’ve started to notice that giving way from a side road is another increasingly rare event. It’s far from the first time I’ve had to brake to allow the emergence of a car from behind a give way line.

I’m pleased that GG and his granddaughter are unscathed, but if this sort of driving goes unchecked, then sooner or later there will be a tragedy to hand.

Post Edited (Thu 18 Nov 18:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 18 Nov 19:37

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/cameras/traffic-light-cameras/

After a quick check on Google maps, the pedestrian crossing has one of the cameras on top of the lights.

If you report them and rough time the police should get Reg plate of van

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.

Post Edited (Thu 18 Nov 19:40)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gopars  
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 19:38

GG I walk my ex`s dog along both Woodmill and Linburn Roads, the speed of traffic especially on Linburn is outrageous given there are 3 schools in the vicinity. I wrote to the local MSP`s (all parties, only Labour and Cons replied) and they contacted the 5-0. Reply from Police was they don`t see a problem with speed on either road!!

Cut me do I not bleed black and white.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Nov 22:38

Linburn Road and Aberdour Road both need traffic calming. Too many grown men in tinky old Impreza's and Type R's. Can tell they have sheds plastered with old copies of Max Power and FHM but live in a suburban 3 bed semi with a wife, kids and mortgage.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 23 Nov 08:19

Quote:

jake89, Mon 22 Nov 22:38

Linburn Road and Aberdour Road both need traffic calming. Too many grown men in tinky old Impreza's and Type R's. Can tell they have sheds plastered with old copies of Max Power and FHM but live in a suburban 3 bed semi with a wife, kids and mortgage.

You appear to know the typical profile well………..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 23 Nov 10:18

My daughter stays opposite St Columbas and has seen a fair few accidents involving youngsters, she says night time it's like a race track!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Nov 16:05

I see them at the school gates most days VEE. Graeme who works in accounts at Lloyds but cuts about in W reg Scooby.

It'll be interesting to see what they do when they inevitably build houses on the St C's and Woodmill sites. One side of Linburn Road already has houses but little in the way of traffic calming. The mini roundabouts are supposed to act as traffic calming but they need something else or regular speed checks.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net