DAFC.net
Home 17 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 How the world changes
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Tue 11 Jan 16:59

This Urban Dictionary`s a laugh. I looked up `Help ma Boab`; as expected it says it means something like `Goodness Gracious!`

Then it gives another meaning:

`The Scottish term `help ma` boab` refers to something owned by the individual, which requires help... The `boab` ... is the sausage shaped piece of the human anatomy which is found in the male gender of the species.`

Uses: as in, `I need yi tae `help ma` boab`

No sh**!

Never mind the washing machine instructions, how tae fathom my `energy account` (used tae be plain `gas` and `electric`) or what tae dae wi` a `smart meter` that doesny work, even plain English - or Scottish - is a minefield these days.

I`d better no say, `Help ma Boab` any more!

Post Edited (Tue 11 Jan 17:00)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: How the world changes
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 11 Jan 17:30

Urban dictionary is filled with nonsense.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 11 Jan 17:58

In Donegal Fermanagh way they used to call a baby’s milk bottle the boaby…

Had to tell them to stop using it when I was there
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Tue 11 Jan 21:16

Ref: jake89
Date: Tue 11 Jan 17:30

>>Urban dictionary is filled with nonsense.

It is.

I think I`ll go on speakin` in the auld way. There was a few strangers passed me in the street on New Years day and they said, `Happy New Year` to me. I was so stunned, I could only grin. Secretly I longed to respond - and very nearly did once - `Lang may yer lum reek!` Ma courage failed me - I thought, naw - they`ll think yer glaikit.

They`ll never know how I appreciated that wee bit human kindness and connection; as they walked past, they probably just saw me smilin` an` thought - `He`s glaikit`.

Post Edited (Tue 11 Jan 21:25)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net