DAFC.net
Home 18 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Pathetic
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 12 Jan 10:49

I`m just back from a short trip to Italy, where I was visiting close family. The return flight was almost full. Everybody wore a face mask, except a woman sitting across from me. She held a glass of water in her hand while she watched a film on her tablet, but never actually got round to drinking from it. She finally put a mask on when she visited the toilet shortly before our plane began its descent.

None of the cabin crew challenged her flaunting of the rules throughout the journey. I suppose I could have done a Victor Meldrew myself, but I`d probably have received a mouthful of abuse.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Pathetic
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 12 Jan 11:16

Apologies GG as this has nothing to do with your post but I noticed last Thursday, would have been the 6th, I noticed a full card of Serie A games being played. Some at lunch time, some in the afternoon and some in the evening. Is the 6th a national holiday in Italy or was there another reason for these fixtures taking place though a `week day`.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 12 Jan 11:39

It`s the Feast of the Epiphany on 6th January, which I think is a national holiday in Italy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 12 Jan 12:15

GG - From anecdotal reports on travel websites etc. it seems that many passengers are nursing snacks and drinks over much of the duration of a flight in order to avoid facemasks.

Travelling close together in an enclosed aluminium tube is a major challenge for combatting infection, even with facemasks.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 12 Jan 12:21

Welcome home G.G. Its been awfy quiet on here :-)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Wed 12 Jan 12:30

If she has a drink she is adhering to the rules and not flaunting them. If the rules leave loopholes then people will exploit them so even if not in the spirit she has actually done nothing wrong. Unless the rule changes to make eating and drinking a time frame then people will do this so if that makes others fret then like anything else they should assess their own risk appetite.

I’ve been on a more than a dozen flights since things opened back up and people do this on every single flight.

Aside from that, unless everyone is wearing N95, KN95 or KF94 masks as opposed to the rubbishy bits of fabric then they are not doing much anyway

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ring-in-the-new-year-wearing-n95-masks-a-simple-one-layer-cloth-mask-does-not-provide-nearly-enough-protection-11640632847

Post Edited (Wed 12 Jan 12:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Jan 14:12

Quote:

P, Wed 12 Jan 12:30

If she has a drink she is adhering to the rules and not flaunting them. If the rules leave loopholes then people will exploit them so even if not in the spirit she has actually done nothing wrong. Unless the rule changes to make eating and drinking a time frame then people will do this so if that makes others fret then like anything else they should assess their own risk appetite.

I’ve been on a more than a dozen flights since things opened back up and people do this on every single flight.

Aside from that, unless everyone is wearing N95, KN95 or KF94 masks as opposed to the rubbishy bits of fabric then they are not doing much anyway

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ring-in-the-new-year-wearing-n95-masks-a-simple-one-layer-cloth-mask-does-not-provide-nearly-enough-protection-11640632847

The point I perhaps failed to get across is that the woman WASN`T drinking from her glass, but merely holding it in her hand on the folding table in front of her, while she watched a film on her tablet. She may have had an initial drink but the glass remained half full for the best part of 2 hours, so she was taking the p!ss in my humble one. It didn`t make me fret in the least, btw, but it did irk me that she should show so little regard for the rules and her fellow passengers.

FWIW, all the other passengers appeared to be wearing FFP2 masks or similar as they are mandatory on public transport and in airports in Italy. I didn`t see anyone wearing the surgical masks you allude to. The fact that you`ve seen lots of other passengers doing the same thing doesn`t make it OK, imo. I wonder if the woman has any link to the Tory party "elite", as they clearly feel that the rules and laws they pass for us plebs, don`t apply to them.

I`d like to have read the article you linked but I couldn`t open it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 12 Jan 17:53

At the risk of being accused of being pedantic I would point out that she was possibly `flouting` the rules not `flaunting` them.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 12 Jan 20:39

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 12 Jan 17:53

At the risk of being accused of being pedantic I would point out that she was possibly `flouting` the rules not `flaunting` them.

Nothing pedantic about it, wee eck. I meant "flouting" but contrived to write "flaunting". I was tempted to play the wee foreigner card but there`s been enough dishonesty for one day at Westminster, so I`ll come clean and admit that I do know the difference between the two verbs.

I`ll stop short of an abject apology or an offer of resignation from this forum. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 12 Jan 23:00

If I were you I`d wait for the outcome of the official inquiry before committing myself, GGR.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net