DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Josh Taylor
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 09:18

Watched the Taylor v Catterall fight last night on a Sky Channel. Taylor was obviously not at his best and the Englishman probably edged it. Catterall was spoiling the fight by holding at every opportunity but the three Sky Sports, English commentators, were gushing so much over their man, having him win virtually every round and awarding the victory to him well before the end of the fight, that it came as somewhat of a pleasant surprise to see Taylor retain all of his belts. Why did Sky Sports have three utterly biased English commentators for a world title fight in Glasgow?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Josh Taylor
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 09:37

No way did Taylor win that fight. Yes, Catterall was literally hanging on over the last few rounds, but that’s because he had built up a healthy lead ( or so everyone thought ) and was making sure not to get knocked out with a sucker punch.
Disgraceful decision. One judge gave it to Taylor by three points 🤷🤷🤷

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 27 Feb 09:38)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 09:52

I would have to agree Raymie that by all tangible measures the Englishman came out on top but considering the completely biased commentary team`s gleeful comments and the fact that Catterall was spoiling the fight at every opportunity and warned by the referee many times, I couldn`t avoid a slight feeling of satisfaction at the (very likely corrupt) outcome.

It`s the Scotsman in me!!!

Post Edited (Sun 27 Feb 09:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 10:02

I don`t watch a lot of boxing but with this one not being pay per view I tuned in. Not seen Taylor fight before but thought with the hype surrounding him and the praise he has received he was the real deal. Some have actually said he is the best Scottish boxer of all time and currently the best pound for pound British fighter out there. Maybe he just had a bad night but he was thoroughly outclassed by Cattrall in my opinion (which granted doesn`t mean much with most things but especially boxing). I actually turned off midway through the final round as I didn`t want to see the look on Taylor`s face when he realises he has lost all his titles. Couldn`t believe it when I discovered later he had won the fight.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 10:12

Taylor was no where near his best last night. As said Catteral held on at every opportunity and I think this has swayed the judges as he was stopping the fight constantly in every round near enough. Still though I was shocked when Taylor won. He litteraly done nothing to merit that win. Couple body shots over 12 rounds and he`s won the fight.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 10:14

It wasn`t quite at every opportunity as he spent quite a few of them landing his jab.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 11:18

I love boxing, have done since I was a wee lad and I’m now 63. This decision is right up there with one of the most awful judging decisions I have seen. The gulf on the night was wide and it’s just not feasible that these judges could imagine that Taylor won it. These kinds of decisions turn people away from boxing, the verdict was embarrassing and I hope sincerely that the very least Catterall gets is a rematch - with different judges.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 12:09

The Commentators weren’t biased - they just described what they saw. And what they saw was Taylor getting battered. Catterall isn’t the first fighter to be robbed in Glasgow.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 12:16

Two of the judges were from England. Its not uncommon for the champion and the home fighter to have an advantage on the judges scorecard but this was to the extreme.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 16:43

From my tartan tinted perspective Tad, the commentators were decidedly biased in favour of their man. They never mentioned his holding and spoiling tactics and left it in no doubt who they were rooting for. I turned the sound down after the third round.

But like TOWK, I also turned it off before the end because I thought there was no way Taylor was going to win. After I found out he had, I ran it back and watched the final rounds and the judges scores.

Post Edited (Sun 27 Feb 16:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 19:20

I listened to the commentary on Radio 5. There were two Irish co-commentators who said they were friendly with JT but they were adamant Catterall had won the fight. I also thought the partisan Glasgow crowd was quite subdued throughout so was expecting Taylor to lose especially after he had suffered two points deductions to Catterall`s one. No one could make sense of the judges` verdict but ruled out any suggestion of corruption.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 20:59

The petulant cheap shot at end of 11th that cost him a point even looked like it was out of frustration as he knew himself that the fight was slipping away from him.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sammy_Must_Die  
Date:   Sun 27 Feb 22:50

The fact that JTs corner were telling he needed a stoppage before he went out for the 12th should tell you all you need to know!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Feb 13:36

The British Boxing Board of Control will investigate the scoring in Josh Taylor`s split decision win over Jack Catterall on Saturday.

Scot Taylor, 31, retained his WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO light-welterweight belts against the 28-year-old Englishman but many onlookers at Glasgow`s OVO Hydro believed Catterall should have been declared the new world champion.

The BBBoC said it "will be investigating the scoring of this contest and will advise accordingly". The board does not have the power to overturn the result.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Feb 20:27

What’s the point then? Suspend the judges ? They will claim that’s their interpretation of the fight. Hard to prove otherwise.
It won’t help Catterall

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Mon 28 Feb 20:43

Can’t see too much more than what you would expect from any sporting body here, they need to protect their refs/judges and won’t throw them to the wolves unless something like corruption is proven.

You’ll have publicly something along the lines of ‘the board have reviewed the footage and after discussion with the judges we accept their scores of the fight.

Behind closed doors the judges might be strongly recommended that in future similar rounds should perhaps be judged differently.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 28 Feb 21:50

Everyone just needs to accept the judges decision. Josh Taylor won the fight. FACT. That`s the mark of a true champion, even when it looks like he`s beat, he still pulls a victory out the bag
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 16:29

I see gnashing of teeth all over the papers - a home fighter wins a title defence?
The boxing body decides to investigate?

Not because the adjudged loser is English? No? Really?
Not because their favourite was beaten by a Scot?

I’ve seen many worse decisions:

Roy Jones Olympic final immediately jumps to mind.
Otker vs Reid (another home town decision)
Whittaker vs Chavez
Lewis vs Holyfield

I actually have been involved in a worse decision, but wasn’t a home town one, just seemed like.
Strathearn Hotel, Kirkcaldy, I’m boxing for Cardenden against a guy from Leith Victoria.
I felt that I was winning fairly comfortably throughout, caught my opponent in his own corner, and knocked him out cold towards the end of the last round.
The ref caught the guy falling, half held him up while his second got in the ring, and both slumped him onto his stool in the corner.
Then the bell went!
As the ref hadn’t counted or actually waved the fight off, it went to points, and I lost a majority 59-58, 59-58, 56-60
(‘20 points must’ system in amateur)
One judge gave me all 3 rounds, with a 20-18 in the third
Two Edinburgh judges somehow had me losing two rounds, and didn’t credit the knockdown in the third 🤬

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 17:20

Taylor has offered Catterall a rematch... but at welterweight.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 18:59

On the topic of boxing.

Fury has said his fight against Whyte next month will be his last. Retiring with £150 million in the bank young and healthy was how he put it. Would have liked to see him beat Joshua before he retired but looks unlikely now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 21:57

I wish I had a pound for every time a boxer has come out of retirement. I’d be retired !

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 23:15

Well the other reigning world heavyweight champ is currently helping to defend his homeland. Hopefully we`ll get to see Usyk defend those titles someday.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 08:03

I recall a British boxer, think it was Terry somebody or other, way back in the Sixties or maybe late fifties, saying of an experience in the USA - “ you have to knock ‘em out to get a draw over there!”

Don’t remember which Terry, there were a few of them over the years!

Post Edited (Wed 02 Mar 08:06)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Mar 16:36

That sounds like a right bummer of a decision Luxembourg but at least you were an amateur. Boxing does seem to lend itself to baffling decisions.

The comment about knocking them out to get a draw is apt. The only Terrys I remember are Terry Spinx, Terry Downes and Terry Marsh. There was Terry Venables and while he was a bit of a wide boy, and not a bad midfielder and manager, I doubt if he ever threw much leather.

It would be a pity to see Tyson Fury retire. His fights have never been great spectacles of classy boxing but have never failed to entertain.

Post Edited (Wed 02 Mar 17:20)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Thu 3 Mar 18:37

Quote:

Paralex, Wed 2 Mar 16:36

It would be a pity to see Tyson Fury retire. His fights have never been great spectacles of classy boxing but have never failed to entertain.

Got to disagree with that, much rather see Fury box rather Joshua, Fury is much more skilled in the ring
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 10 Mar 15:24

The British Boxing Board of Control has `downgraded` a judge for his controversial scorecard in Josh Taylor`s fight with Jack Catterall.

The undisputed light-welterweight clash in Glasgow saw Scottish champion Taylor awarded a split-decision win.

Ian John-Lewis scored the bout 114-111 in Taylor`s favour, prompting a review.

The BBBoC denied the official`s scorecard affected the "overall result of the contest", but it took "issue with his margin" of victory for Taylor.

The other two judges marked the contest closer, with Howard Foster going for Catterall by 113-112 and Victor Laughlin giving it to Taylor - who was knocked down in the eighth round - by a score of 113-112.

In a statement, the board said: "Having considered Mr Ian John-Lewis` explanation, the Stewards of the Board decided to downgrade Mr John-Lewis from an A Star Class to an A Class Official.

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 10 Mar 20:49

Way back, many years ago, I had a summer camp job in Maine, near Lewiston where Sonny Liston and Cassius Clay (as he was known at the time of the contest) had had their highly controversial fight in 1965.

I mind going for a haircut and listening to the locals recounting the event - unanimous opinion that it was the biggest “fix” in the history of professional boxing.

Liston went down quicker than a drunk man, if memory serves.

Post Edited (Thu 10 Mar 21:14)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Fri 11 Mar 07:06

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 10 Mar 20:49

Way back, many years ago, I had a summer camp job in Maine, near Lewiston where Sonny Liston and Cassius Clay (as he was known at the time of the contest) had had their highly controversial fight in 1965.

I mind going for a haircut and listening to the locals recounting the event - unanimous opinion that it was the biggest “fix” in the history of professional boxing.

Liston went down quicker than a drunk man, if memory serves.

Liston wanted the pay without the pain
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 11 Mar 08:30

VAR would have proved there was no contact :-)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net