DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Rock slapped
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 10:27

Bleary eyed glimpse of a “Will wallops Rock” headline this morning....jings! Will Young smacks the Rock in the kisser! Wow!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rock slapped
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 12:07

Deserved it tbh but probably not wise to do it in front of an audience. Even if she didn`t have a medical condition it still wasn`t a very funny joke in the first place.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 12:49

Will Smith - not Will Young who is a different guy entirely!

It was a bizarre incident. At first it looked like Smith had taken it as a joke and his violent reaction seemed staged rather than spontaneous. It seems to have become standard practice now for the hosts at the Oscars to wind up the audience.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 12:51

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60897004

Completely OTT reaction from Will Smith. It was a joke, perhaps not in great taste, but many comedians have made a career out of edgy jokes.?

The Academy surely can`t condone that from Smith? Will they have the balls to take the Oscar off him?

Post Edited (Mon 28 Mar 12:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 13:53

Hopefully Will doesn`t find himself on the front row of a Frankie Boyle show

I don`t think Rock can have any real complaints. He was out of order.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 14:25

so is that the answer then ipswich is it? hear something you don`t like then resort to violence and intimidation?

no excuse for that behaviour?

i`m assuming his teary apology also was directed towards the person he assulted?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 15:38

There has been regular targeting of Smiths’ marriage by gossip columnists and awards-show hosts for some time for its “open” nature; as recently as two weeks ago, Bafta host Rebel Wilson said: “Personally I thought his [Will Smith’s] best performance in the past year has been being OK with all of his wife’s boyfriends.”

Was Rock`s joke the straw that broke the camel`s back?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 16:25

Quote:

DBP, Mon 28 Mar 14:25

so is that the answer then ipswich is it? hear something you don`t like then resort to violence and intimidation?

no excuse for that behaviour?

i`m assuming his teary apology also was directed towards the person he assulted?

I didn`t say it was right....just that he shouldn`t be surprised that some people respond in that way.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 17:45

So where does it end then… What if I say something against a religion, guess I shouldn’t be surprised if I’m blown up?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 18:12

You need to find something better to do than asking daft questions. Read a good book and learn something new.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 18:42

Quote:

DBP, Mon 28 Mar 17:45

So where does it end then… What if I say something against a religion, guess I shouldn’t be surprised if I’m blown up?

That`s quite the escalation!

I believe the saying goes "play with fire and you`ll get burned". Rock`s joke wasn`t funny and he got a slap. Personally, I think Smith was out of order too, but you can`t say he wasn`t provoked. Hopefully they can both reflect on their actions and move on.

Smith`s career will be badly affected by this nonsense.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 19:25

I like to question things and take arguments to their final conclusions

I don’t think anyone deserves physical violence for something they say just because someone doesn’t like it

Post Edited (Mon 28 Mar 19:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 19:25

All looked very staged to me.... Neither Smith or Rocks career will be harmed in any way regardless.
Probably the exact opposite.
Its "Hollywood" remember.
No such thing as bad press

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 28 Mar 22:49

What a pair of fannies

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 29 Mar 08:23

Wonder what the reaction would have been if Jada had got up off her chair and smacked him.

She was not impressed with the "joke". Joking about someone`s health is not acceptable. Would he have joked about someone who had cancer or lost a limb?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 29 Mar 08:54

Would Rocks have made such an unacceptable joke about his family or relatives etc ?

Both were in the wrong, and two wrongs don’t make a right - but cause and effect here.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Mar 09:13

Smith has apologised but it does include a remark about not joking about his wife`s condition. I`m sure we`ll see a similar statement from Rock and it`ll all be forgotten about until next year.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 29 Mar 09:22

He laughed when the joke was told but I think he then felt guilty when he saw the hurt on his wife`s face. That blew the fuse. It wasn`t the way to handle it but comediens need to realise there are red lines.
They may be different lines in different settings but the pro should know when too far is too far. Pity he didn`t find the composure to just go up and ask him to apologise.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 29 Mar 09:44

Rock now saying he never knew about Jada`s illness.

This makes it worse for me as it could easily have been a much more serious condition such as cancer.

Smith should have handled it better though. A walk up to Rock and a little word off mic with a request for an apology would have been the way to handle it. Heat of the moment though!!!

Never found Rock to very funny anyway.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 30 Mar 08:12

All looked very staged to me.... Neither Smith or Rocks career will be harmed in any way regardless.
Probably the exact opposite.
Its "Hollywood" remember.
No such thing as bad press

You are spot on widtink :-

Rock has yet to comment publicly on what happened at the Oscars or Smith`s apology.
However, tickets for his upcoming comedy shows have reportedly skyrocketed in Sunday`s aftermath.
One live event ticketing site, TickPick, said on Monday that it sold more tickets the previous night than it did in the past month combined.
A spokesperson also told CBS that prices for an upcoming Rock show on Wednesday in Boston rose from $46 (£35.16) to $411 (£314).

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 30 Mar 08:30

Never found him funny. I can`t even listen to him for long.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net