DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hill walking boots/fitting service?
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 27 Mar 07:55

Can anyone recommend a place where you can go to get properly fitted for a good paper of walking boots?

Doing a series of Munros for charity this year but don’t even own a pair of walking boots and don’t want to spend good money on the wrong pair!

I know you can do this for running shoes but not sure if there’s a hiking equivalent?

Post Edited (Sun 27 Mar 07:56)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hill walking boots/fitting service?
Topic Originator: weeman56  
Date:   Sun 27 Mar 09:06

Tiso`s in Rose Street, Edinburgh fixed me up - although it was quite a few years ago. According to their website they still offer a boot fitting service. They also have a shop in Leith.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Mar 09:32

Cool thanks, will head into embra and have a look
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dafc_1885  
Date:   Sun 27 Mar 19:32

Tiso are a decent shout however can be a bit pricey.

Go outdoors in Leith has good variety and decent pricing however not sure of the offer fitting

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 30 Mar 15:00

Quote:

DBP, Sun 27 Mar 07:55

Can anyone recommend a place where you can go to get properly fitted for a good paper of walking boots?

Doing a series of Munros for charity this year but don’t even own a pair of walking boots and don’t want to spend good money on the wrong pair!

I know you can do this for running shoes but not sure if there’s a hiking equivalent?

Regardless of how well they fit, I seriously recommend you prepare your feet before starting this. Its been a while since I did long hillwalks but in my youth I did 2 day 30 mile races. We soaked our feet in surgical spirit to harden the skin.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: broontroot  
Date:   Thu 31 Mar 17:00

Best bet is to go into a shop and try them on and don`t buy online first , salomon are probably the comfiest boots I`ve worn , usually feel like slippers on your feet and your normal shoe size should be ideal
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Mar 19:25

Thanks guys… going to go into the boot fitting at tiso and see how I get on.

Are there any other shops that do that?

Would be good to get a second opinion so to speak
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 31 Mar 20:33

Shrek par might be able to point you in the right direction.
He used to be a fitting expert... Although more to do with running shoes. But what he doesn`t know about fitting feet into footwear isn`t worth knowing.

Admin
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Thu 31 Mar 21:00

As widtink says done this for 27 yrs for ski/hike and run in my old job. Craigdon mountain sports in edinburgh(near hillend)have good properly trained staff or cotswold (not quite as good). Craigdon sell the Altberg boots which are available in 6 width fittings and are a uk company and many more. Good leather and amazing fit for anything. Strongly recommend a superfeet insole if required and some good quality socks such as bridgedale or smartwool. If you are feeling flush a superfeet custom black insole in a good boot will add 10 miles to your daily walkable distance easily. Good quality boots can also be modified quickly for a better fit on a rubbing bar if you have bunions. If they don`t measure your feet for length width and volume first you are in the wrong shop..... and whatever size you think you are it`s normally not quite accurate and varies brand to brand Go with an open mind and a flexible budget. When you are 40 miles in you will want comfort regardless of cost.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Mar 21:46

Cheers great advice shrek par… will defo visit thanks
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net