DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Gas and Leccy
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 11 Apr 20:48

Wee e-mail tonight from Utility Warehouse that due to the end of the Government price cap on energy my bill has gone up by £57 a month

3 bedroom Bungalow Bill £101 to £ 158 .. just like that.. bottle glass glass bottle

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Gas and Leccy
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Mon 11 Apr 22:40

My previous bills were £78 pm
They have asked me to setup a new standing order for £186 pm

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Mon 11 Apr 22:58

Similar increase here.

Is our investment in renewables having any impact on this? Would the increase be even higher without it?

Environmental positives aside, I would have thought there would be financial benefits to renewable energy generation with it avoiding the swings in fossil fuel prices. It doesn`t really feel like we`re seeing any financial benefit tbh.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Mon 11 Apr 23:39

£92 to £235 for me - over 150% increase. Was previously on a good fixed rate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sammy_Must_Die  
Date:   Mon 11 Apr 23:45

£155 to £280 a month. Absolutely ridiculous.

Further price rises in October too!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Tue 12 Apr 02:31

Renewable energy campaign folks,in my estimation, have been a bit sneaky. They never said bills will be cheaper,just cutting out carbon usage .Bring back north sea gas,oil, and coal,or we will all freeze to bloody death ,next winter. No way a few wind farms, will cover energy usage in Scotland.

Post Edited (Tue 12 Apr 02:50)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Tue 12 Apr 07:40

Quote:

twin par, Tue 12 Apr 02:31
No way a few wind farms, will cover energy usage in Scotland.

Yeah, only 97%...
[BBC]Renewables met 97% of Scotland`s electricity demand in 2020
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SAP PAR  
Date:   Tue 12 Apr 08:04

Challenge them. The price cap has been raised by 54% so your bills/DD’s should increase in line with that (unless you have been on a good fixed rate for a number of years).

They tried to increase mine by 150%, I challenged it and they agreed to raise it the 54%.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Tue 12 Apr 10:01

157 to 293 for me now. Some jump!

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 12 Apr 11:59

As someone on here said already, turning things off wont help as it`s the standing charge that`s increasing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Tue 12 Apr 12:22

Jings, I thought mine was excessive !!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 12 Apr 13:54

And……….there’s another big price rise coming down the turnpike in the late autumn.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew C  
Date:   Tue 12 Apr 13:59

Is it worth taking out a fixed rate? British gas are offering one till next April.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Tue 12 Apr 14:50

Quote:

Andrew C, Tue 12 Apr 13:59

Is it worth taking out a fixed rate? British gas are offering one till next April.

According to Martin Lewis from money saving expert, no. May of changed more recently mind you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Tue 12 Apr 15:52

Wasn`t paying enough but couldn`t change as my supplier went bust and it took 5 months to switch over properly. Jumped from £125 to £300 in order to catchup and price rise.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Tue 12 Apr 15:59

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Tue 12 Apr 11:59

As someone on here said already, turning things off wont help as it`s the standing charge that`s increasing.

Maybe I`m being dense, (it`s been known) but why won`t turning things off help?
I know from my side, that my standing charge has risen around 35p a day so I`m now around £4 a week just on standing charges. To offset that, I`m now not using the power in my garage therefore, what I used to spend on power in there, is now going to the standing charge.
Forgive me if I`m missing something.
Cheers.

The flame still burns
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Tue 12 Apr 18:09

Quote:

Andrew C, Tue 12 Apr 13:59

Impossible to tell....but I got lucky with my fix to March 23, that`s for sure. I was hesitant at the time as it felt high but I decided the certainty was worth more to me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Wed 13 Apr 08:25

Inflation hits 7% in March. Ouch. I suspect my pay won`t be following it in quite the same way....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Apr 09:31

Exactly Ipswichpar and the Lying Cheating Basa`s stopped the triple lock for us auld codgers so we won`t get 7% either

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 13 Apr 18:25

I checked my smart meter and it told me what I am using in real time. I worked it out over a month and told them they wete charging me way too much. They said but it balances over the year. I had to point out that this is the coldest period and I will be using less in the summer months. Im in credit and they were billing me £30 over what im using now with the heating on.
They dropped it £30.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sat 16 Apr 09:40

Buspasspar, don’t forget all those austerity years and years when workers pay was frozen or they got a rise of 1% if they were lucky
Us old codgers outpaced them year after year with full inflation linked pension increases, so stop being a moaning auld git!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Sat 16 Apr 12:53

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 16 Apr 09:40

Buspasspar, don’t forget all those austerity years and years when workers pay was frozen or they got a rise of 1% if they were lucky
Us old codgers outpaced them year after year with full inflation linked pension increases, so stop being a moaning auld git!

He`s every reason to complain it was a tory manifesto promise, along with the fact the old codgers have the 3rd poorest pension in Europe.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 16 Apr 18:38

All`s those years of austerity that got us more in debt.🤦‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Apr 20:32

Topic Originator: jake89 like
Date: Sat 16 Apr 18:38

All`s those years of austerity that got us more in debt.🤦‍♂️

Correct jake89 but served its purpose as the rich got richer and the poor suffered

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 16 Apr 20:49

Aye but remember Jake during the austerity years the government was still spending 10 billion pounds more each month than it was generating. As it is though it is a Tory government that has initiated the biggest public spending splurge since the nation was battling Hitler.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 13:56

From the Guardian newsfeed :-

`Scottish Power’s chief executive, Keith Anderson, told the Commons business committee this morning that the government should introduce a “social tariff” to protect energy customers with pre-payment meters (who tend to be poorer, and who normally pay more for their energy than other customers). He also accused the government of not doing enough to address the problems that huge price rises are causing, and said a “massive shift” in policy was needed.`

He was speaking on behalf of the major power suppliers. Is this how capitalism works? Companies ask the government for support for their customers who can`t afford to pay them for the services they supply?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Apr 14:07

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 19 Apr 13:56

From the Guardian newsfeed :-

`Scottish Power’s chief executive, Keith Anderson, told the Commons business committee this morning that the government should introduce a “social tariff” to protect energy customers with pre-payment meters (who tend to be poorer, and who normally pay more for their energy than other customers). He also accused the government of not doing enough to address the problems that huge price rises are causing, and said a “massive shift” in policy was needed.`

He was speaking on behalf of the major power suppliers. Is this how capitalism works? Companies ask the government for support for their customers who can`t afford to pay them for the services they supply?

Yes, it is. All out power companies are private companies. It`s not their job to resolve social and economic issues. They provide services at set fees for everyone.

If we want a scenario where people effectively pay based on income then we need to either has legislation that forces private companies to do this, or we need nationalised energy companies.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Apr 16:01

So basically the power companies have paid out millions to shareholders over the years, scared that they won`t be able to this year due to customers defaulting?

How many of these companies have foreign owners, where there have been smaller increases, 4% in France I believe?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 23 Apr 23:15

The big power companies resist the suggestion of a windfall tax on their profits because they need to invest to facilitate the transition to renewables but they think the government should provide financial assistance to help the poorest customers with their fuel bills. Presumably they think this can be financed out of taxation but not on their windfall profits? Why can`t they contribute to a fund which they could set up for the benefit of the poorest consumers?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Apr 23:57

Let`s be honest, the idea that profits are made on what is a fairly basic human need is disgusting.

This is capitalism at its best - take the money in the good times, begging bowl to the taxpayer in the bad.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 May 14:51

Wholesale price of gas is now 40% lower than December price. 🤔

But Rishi`s swimming pool will cost £17K a year to heat, which he can claim on expenses, of course!🤬🤬🤬
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net