DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Yes/Say no to the SNP
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 16 Apr 18:42

Driving up to Glenrothes earlier and first saw a load of bams with union flags and banners hung over an overpass suggesting say no to the SNP.

On the way back the union flags were being taken down and then at th next overpass was an overpass draped in Saltires and a van promoting a yes vote.

What was interesting was the lack of suggestion as to who to vote for. Don`t vote for the SNP but vote for...??? Vote "Yes" by voting for???
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Yes/Say no to the SNP
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 16 Apr 23:46

I remember being at a Glenrothes roundabout (of which there are many) and seeing the slogan `Scotland free by 93` They looked a miserable bunch in the damp windy country that Scotland is with their sagging banner, but I respected their fortitude. The slogan was politically ridiculous even though I was very sympathetic towards it.

Fast forward to today and little has changed .Freedom is just a word. The reality has to be negotiated. Whether Sturgeon can handle that I very much doubt after her ultra NATO statement today which embeds her with the Azov battalion defending Ukraine as it crushed to death. She should have stayed out out it. She sounds like Zelinsky`s older sister.

Older viewers may recall Ms Sturgeon as being rather cool on NATO and advocating Scotland as a cold water Cuba. That was a long time ago.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 17 Apr 01:49

"Bams"?

Exercising their right to choose?!

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Sun 17 Apr 01:51)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Apr 08:58

Was that you on the overpass, da? 😉

Can do as they please but they`re bams to me. Waving flags with no clear message. As I say, "say no to SNP" but no clear suggestion of an alternative, and "say Yes" but no clear suggestion of who best to vote for.

What would be better would be to focus on what each party is actually going to do rather than a binary union/independence line.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sun 17 Apr 09:02

Edit: moved to Ukraine thread in politics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

Post Edited (Sun 17 Apr 09:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 17 Apr 12:16

Quote:

jake89, Sun 17 Apr 08:58

Was that you on the overpass, da? 😉

No I but I see the "bams" from the other side of the argument every weekend. Only fair that both sides of the debate get to a chance to sit on a bridge and wave silly wee flags at folk passing under at 70mph like it makes any difference whatsoever.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Apr 16:29

Realise I only called the first lot bams but meant both groups. Getting as bad as as "Rangers or Celtic?" level of debate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 17 Apr 17:23

Quote:

jake89, Sun 17 Apr 16:29

Realise I only called the first lot bams but meant both groups. Getting as bad as as "Rangers or Celtic?" level of debate.

I understand Jake. If you’re against one then you’re pro the other seems to be the opinion in our society these days. As you say, it’s been like that with the OF for years now.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Mon 18 Apr 11:47

I watched the SNP political broadcast last week (remote was on another seat and I couldn’t be bothered moving). The entirety of it was some bloke wandering in a field saying how bad the tories are. There was absolutely zip about policy or why SNP are who you should choose to lead. It was an absolute cringe and really quite depressing to see.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigfoot  
Date:   Mon 18 Apr 14:23

The reality is the major parties are using this to bash each other about the state of the union.

Every flyer through my door has been about the next general election and has nothing to do with the local issue upon which local council elections should be fought upon. unfortunately.

Jesus saves, but Kirk nets rebound
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Apr 14:37

It`s utter nonsense. Tell me what you`re doing, not what the other party is/is not doing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Mon 18 Apr 17:41

Have to say the SNP and Labour leaflets here in Hamilton have both been full of policies.
SNP setting out what they have achieved with running the council since last council elections and what they plan should they get a majority of council seats.
Labour have concentrated on the cost of living crisis and policies that are nothing to do with the council and are actually reserved to Westminster.
Not had Lib Dem one yet but expect it to be decent as the local Lib Dem councillor does a lot for the community and is well known and well liked.
Tory leaflet consists of "we are the only party who can stop the SNP" and "we are the only party who can stop another independence referendum" The only policy there was actually one that is council responsibility. They promise to deal with potholes. I seem to recall a Tory council not dealing with potholes because "they act as traffic calming measures" so at least they aren`t as bad as that lot.

Someone mentioned the lack of policies in the TV party political broadcasts. I think its difficult to do that for council elections as policies at council level will not be uniform across all regions.

Post Edited (Mon 18 Apr 17:44)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Apr 21:53

The Labour one round here included some glowing references in it, including one from Andrew Verrecchia...the LABOUR councillor for Rosyth! 🤦‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 19 Apr 09:48

The Tory candidate for our ward put out his leaflet saying it was going to be a close call between Conservatives and SNP - not sure how he came to that conclusion - they have 4 of 18 councillors in Clacks.

I suspect Boris`s indisrcetions at UK level, along with the vacillations of Bobbing Douglas up here will hurt their vote locally.

Post Edited (Tue 19 Apr 09:49)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net