DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 City status - Improvements?
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 5 Jun 10:41

Dunfermline should get its wee note from the Queen soon advising that the toun is now a city. What will it mean though?

I was quite impressed to see so many tourists in Dunfermline when I was in town (I`ll never stop saying "in town"!), but walking up the lower end of the high street was pretty miserable. I don`t mind charity shops but the Boots and Poundstretcher units are complete eyesores. Add in the awful "gap site" and that end just looks hideous, which is a shame as it`s a route to the beautiful City Chambers and Glen.

20 years ago it was suggested to redo all the paving, lampposts, signage, benches etc around the High Street, New Row, Douglas Street etc. This (obviously) came to nothing.

Then 10 years ago a new study came out suggesting new retail units on the gap site and a civic square. This involved a lot of repaving of the high street too.

Then last year another square was suggested at the gap site with the Mercat Cross moving down a bit.

Will any work to improve the high street ever come to fruition? The new signage is great and the efforts of various independents has really improved things, but what are the council going to do about the state of the street? They keep going in about Dunfermline growing so fast but how do you get people spending the day in Dunfermline rather than heading to Edinburgh? I doubt many people in Dunfermline are spending all their money in Multrees Walk and are likely buying what they could just buy in Dunfermline anyway. So how will the council make the city centre more appealing to attract people in and keep them coming back?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: City status - Improvements?
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 5 Jun 10:56

I’m originally from Edinburgh and always called going into the city centre, going into town…

But the town certainly needs a shot in the arm to make it more appealing - perhaps less “big” shops or chains and more independent places and leisure / entertainment spots.

Was in burnt island and yesterday and they’ve got some good shops that aren’t the usual lot and nice cafes etc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 5 Jun 11:10

Too busy doing and re doing the prom in Kirkcaldy, also their High Street!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 5 Jun 12:15

More independents would help but also supporting the ones we already have. I really hope people get out and support the Little Shop of Heroes, which appears to be really struggling right now. Get in and get some graphic novels!

The changes in Kirkcaldy are needed but it feels like they`ve tweaked and tweaked and tweaked in Kirkcaldy and still not got it right in terms of the prom.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 5 Jun 13:32

The prom in Kirkcaldy needs the car park and mercat flattened along with the old Woolies and turned into a decent retail leisure area along the front.

Dunfermline high street should encourage the independent retail and restaurant businesses and turn it into a area people would travel to go to.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net