DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Solar Panels
Topic Originator: jackhigh  
Date:   Mon 13 Jun 07:51

I recently bought and moved to a new house in Rosyth with Solar Panels on the roof last September. We have over the last few months after submitting readings only made the massive sum of £28 quid from Good Energy who we submit the readings to....they have advised that our readings are too low and to get our meter checked....We did have earlier in the new year Electric and Gas smart meters installed.....just looking to .net if others have experience of Solar Panels to give advise or who best to ask to check about our Solar Panel meter ie a local firm that might be able to help....we weren`t left much by the previous owners in relation to this.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Solar Panels
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 13 Jun 11:34

Were the previous readings you had when you moved in correct. Did you check at the time?
Apologies if you have already checked this
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jackhigh  
Date:   Mon 13 Jun 16:33

We took a note of the readings when we moved in...the company we provide the readings to are telling us the last 2 readings in March and June seem too low and are advising to get somebody to check the meter...we got the electric smart meter installed in February and wondering if that`s causing us an issue with the Solar Panels..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 13 Jun 22:32

We have panels for about 4 years now.We have the old electric meter with the wheel.If it`s really sunny,it goes backwards, the electric company cannot do a thing about it,as I am not interfering within the meter.Dont believe all you hear,they cannot force you to go for a digital meter.Resist all threats at your door, or on phone,tell them, to do one.

Post Edited (Mon 13 Jun 23:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigfoot  
Date:   Wed 15 Jun 15:26

Kind of hijacking this post as I am wondering if it is worthwhile investing in solar panels.

Thoughts are that it should cut down on leccy bill but by how much?

Are the Feed In Tarrifs static (ie I assume they don`t mirror the purchase price of electricity from a supplier)?

My thoughts are to purchase outright rather than "hire" and allow the installer to to take the Feed In Tarriff. Is this the best way?

The million dollar question roughly how much would an install cost - I have a fairly large house/roof (about 75sqm so about half would be available for solar panels)?

Jesus saves, but Kirk nets rebound
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc01  
Date:   Wed 15 Jun 17:35

Just signed up for it myself and waiting on an install at start of July. Based on worse case estimates my electricity bill will be 0. With some gains to be made by selling back. Not as much as previously. Going rate just now for selling back is around 6p per unit. Key is to use your appliances etc when the panels are generating.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Mon 20 Jun 00:08

Quote:

Bigfoot, Wed 15 Jun 15:26

Kind of hijacking this post as I am wondering if it is worthwhile investing in solar panels.

Thoughts are that it should cut down on leccy bill but by how much?

Are the Feed In Tarrifs static (ie I assume they don`t mirror the purchase price of electricity from a supplier)?

My thoughts are to purchase outright rather than "hire" and allow the installer to to take the Feed In Tarriff. Is this the best way?

The million dollar question roughly how much would an install cost - I have a fairly large house/roof (about 75sqm so about half would be available for solar panels)?

It really depends on the energy profile of your household ie habits of usage. Having solar panels fitted alongside a storage battery at the moment seems to be the way forward. The idea is that instead of the excess generation from the solar during the day (in particular the better days and peak months) it is stored in this battery backup to be used in the evening. There are also a few tariffs out there that you can jump on to charge up the battery in the winter at a cheaper rate. The fit payments aren’t great now, although they are still there. I’m speaking to Alba Heat and Power at the moment and they have been very helpful!

Post Edited (Mon 20 Jun 00:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigfoot  
Date:   Thu 7 Jul 12:45

Cheers for the reply AlterPar.

Will have a bit more of a look.

Jesus saves, but Kirk nets rebound
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Thu 7 Jul 12:53

Decent resource to give hall park estimates, came up as about £6k for solar for me which is less than expected but to add a battery was £5k which was more. Still researching but main motivation will be my electric car but not sure if that means I will need a new wall charger for it as I have an old Polar charger which is pretty basic.

https://www.homeenergyscotland.org/reduce-home-energy-bills-tips-support-funding/

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net