DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Manny Charlton
Topic Originator: southernpar  
Date:   Thu 7 Jul 09:06

Sadly passed away on Tuesday, the heart of early Nazareth.
RIP Manny.

robert mcbride
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manny Charlton
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Thu 7 Jul 09:45

Didn’t realise how influential he was. Good guitarist on his day.

RIP Uncle Manuel.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Thu 7 Jul 11:02

I recall seeing the band in the Belville in the swinging’ Sixties. Did some great Motown covers!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 7 Jul 16:48

Superb Band back in the day RIP Manny

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Thu 7 Jul 17:52

Never even heard till I saw this.Used to be up at his house in Cowdenbeath doing stuff on his computer a long long time ago.Really nice guy.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 7 Jul 18:03

Remember them as the Shadettes playing the Kinema, doing the covers, too big a noise for the Belleville, early 70's!

RIP Manny😪

Post Edited (Fri 08 Jul 11:00)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 8 Jul 07:34

Nope, they played at the Belville first. I was there doing the Watusi...still get a twinge when I bend doon!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 19 Jul 23:37

He warranted an obituary in the Guardian:-

Hair of the Dog was the 1975 album that put the Scottish rock band Nazareth into the big league, and it was their first to be produced by the band’s guitarist and arranger Manny Charlton, who has died aged 80. It gave them a Top 20 hit on the US album charts and a Top 10 US single with their version of the Everly Brothers’ Love Hurts.

But Hair of the Dog also proved to be a different kind of landmark for Charlton. When, in the late 1980s, the then little-known band Guns N’ Roses were working on material for what would become their debut album, Appetite for Destruction, their vocalist, Axl Rose, instructed their record label, Geffen, to “get me the guy who produced Nazareth’s Hair of the Dog”. The title song, with its fat, swaggering beat and raucous chorus of “now you’re messin’ with a son of a bitch”, was one of Axl’s all-time favourites.

At the time Charlton was working on Nazareth’s 1986 album, Cinema, but despite the poor quality of the live tapes Guns N’ Roses had sent him he agreed to fly to California to meet them. “If we liked each other, and I liked their music, it was possible that I’d produce for them,” he recalled. He did like them, and they got on well enough to make demo recordings of 25 songs, including the standout tracks Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle. But production duties with Nazareth meant Charlton had to fly back to Europe, and Appetite for Destruction ended up being produced by Mike Clink. It has now sold more than 30m copies.

“They were just a bunch of young guys living their rock’n’roll dreams and having the time of their lives,” Charlton reflected. “I never foresaw that they would become one of the biggest bands in rock history.” He was never paid for his work on the demos, but they were included on a reissue of Appetite for Destruction in 2018, while Guns N’ Roses’s 1993 album of cover versions, The Spaghetti Incident?, included their version of Hair of the Dog.

Charlton was born in the Andalusian city of Línea de la Concepción in Spain, to where his Scottish mother and father had emigrated in the late 1930s. During the second word war, when he was two, his parents returned to their home town of Dunfermline.

As a youngster he was inspired by the sounds of early rock’n’roll, which led him to learn the guitar before busking on the Dunfermline streets and then playing with a variety of local groups. He met future Nazareth bandmates Dan McCafferty (vocals) and Pete Agnew (bass) while playing in the house band at the Kinema ballroom, and the three of them formed the Shadettes with drummer Darrell Sweet.

continued in next post

Post Edited (Tue 19 Jul 23:42)
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 19 Jul 23:40

The Shadettes wore matching yellow suits and played cover versions of Top 30 hits, but all that changed in 1968 when they altered their name to Nazareth (inspired by The Band’s song The Weight, whose opening line is “I pulled into Nazareth, I was feelin’ about half past dead”). With guidance from their manager, Bill Fehilly, a Scottish bingo-halls entrepreneur who also went on to look after the affairs of the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, they moved to London in 1970 and released their debut album, Nazareth, the following year.

Neither that record, nor its follow-up, Exercises (1972), made much of an impression, but the tide began to turn with Razamanaz (1973), produced by Roger Glover of Deep Purple, with whom Nazareth had been touring. By now the hard-hitting but melodic Nazareth sound was becoming discernible, and the album reached No 11 on the UK album chart, while spinning off the Top 10 UK hit singles Broken Down Angel and Bad Bad Boy. Loud’n’Proud (1973) did one better on the UK album charts by reaching No 10, and their rocked-up version of Joni Mitchell’s This Flight Tonight was a No 11 single.

The band’s prospects looked promising, and it was with their their sixth album, Hair of the Dog, that major international stardom beckoned. It was recorded in nine days at Escape Studios, a converted oast house in Kent, and as well as the title track, featured some of the band’s most enduring songs. Imaginative cover versions were a Nazareth trademark, including Tomorrow’s 1967 psychedelic nugget My White Bicycle, a No 14 hit. There they delivered a strikingly delicate treatment of Randy Newman’s bar-room ballad Guilty while making Nils Lofgren’s Beggars Day sound apocalyptic. The US version of Hair of the Dog contained the band’s grand and dramatic version of Love Hurts, an early specimen of the “power ballad” genre arranged by Charlton and sung with heartrending intensity by McCafferty. It gave them a Top 10 hit in the US and charted around the world, helping the album to sell more than 2m copies internationally. Hair of the Dog proved to be the platform for a string of successful albums, including the US Top 30 album Close Enough for Rock’n’Roll (1976), though the magic was waning by the time they released 2XS in 1982, which was their last album to reach Billboard’s Top 200 album listings. Charlton’s last album with Nazareth was their 17th, Snakes n’Ladders (1989), after which he quit. “There were just too many personal problems in the band during that time,” he reflected. “We should never have been in the studio at that point and I’ll take my share of the blame for all the bullshit that went down.”

In 1998 he moved to Texas, where he formed the Manny Charlton Band, with whom he recorded a couple of albums. He also made a string of solo albums, from Drool in 1999 to Solo in 2016. The compilation Creme de la Creme – A Best Of was released in 2018. In 2021 he celebrated his 80th birthby recording a new version of Nazareth’s 1976 song Telegram, a saga of the life of a touring rock musician.

He is survived by his daughter, Vicki. He was divorced from his wife Isabel.

Manny (Manuel) Charlton, musician, born 25 July 1941; died 5 July 2022

Post Edited (Tue 19 Jul 23:44)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 20 Jul 13:29

He left those demo tapes in his shed when he moved from his house in Cowdenbeath. I wonder whatever happened to them? Also, his mum was Spanish, not Scottish. Pretty sure his dad was Spanish too. I wonder where information like this comes from.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Wed 20 Jul 15:04

Thanks for posting that Wee Eck.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 20 Jul 16:11

No problem, ML. I didn`t know anything about the guy myself but thought it was a fascinating life.

GZ, if neither of his parents was Scottish why would they come to Dunfermline I wonder? Also, Charlton isn`t exactly a Spanish name.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 20 Jul 19:16

Born in La Linea, which is pretty near Gibraltar - possibly his father was working in Gib, maybe something to do with the naval base.
My brother used to live in La Linea and I spent a bit time there, not for the feint hearted
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 05:24

His step dad was Scottish. Air Force if I remember correctly. His mum was definitely Spanish. They were my grandparents.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: scottda  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 19:30

His parents used to be our next door neighbours, down in Brucefield. His mum Anita was definitely Spanish. Nice family.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net