DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Cost of Living Amazon-Morrisons Basket
Topic Originator: Sacha  
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 17:01

About 4 weeks ago I created an order for Morrisions via Amazon. I never processed the order but got a shock when I logged in today and saw these increases to the cost of items in my basket. Has chocolate really increased by 25%?

Cadbury Twirl Chocolate Bar, 4 x 34g has increased from £1.25 to £1.61

Rolo Golden Toffee Centre Chocolate Multipack, No Artificial Colours, 4 x 41.6 g has increased from £1.00 to £1.25

Morrisons Market St Chinese Stir Fry, 320g has increased from £1.20 to £1.29

Morrisons Sweet Chilli Stir Fry Sauce 180 g has increased from £1.10 to £1.20

Cadbury Flake Chocolate Bars, Pack of 4 Bars, 102g has increased from £1.25 to £1.61

Morrisons Cream Crackers, 300g has increased from £0.40 to £0.42

Yorkie Milk Chocolate Multipack 138 G has increased from £1.00 to £1.25

Kraft Cheesey Pasta, 190g has increased from £1.27 to £1.28

Morrisons Free Range 6 Medium Eggs has increased from £1.00 to £1.05

Dairylea 16 triangles, 250g has increased from £1.50 to £2.65

Morrisons Cheesy Slices, 200g has increased from £1.00 to £1.20

Morrisons Garden Peas, 175g has increased from £0.49 to £0.58

Morrisons Chopped Tomatoes, 400g has increased from £0.47 to £0.52

Morrisons Market St White Cabbage, 630g has increased from £0.65 to £0.79

Morrisons Family Bananas, 5 each has increased from £0.79 to £0.89

Morrisons 8 White Mini Tortilla Wraps has increased from £0.90 to £0.99

Morrisons The Best Seeded Loaf, 800g has increased from £1.35 to £1.42

Morrisons Scotch Pancakes, Pack of 8 has increased from £0.70 to £0.74

Hovis Best Of Both Medium White Bread, 750 g has increased from £0.99 to £1.05

Morrisons Milk Chocolate Digestives 300g has increased from £0.59 to £0.62

Morrisons Red Pepper has increased from £0.49 to £0.55

Morrisons Loose Carrots, 1 Each has increased from £0.05 to £0.45

Morrisons Baby Potatoes, 1 kg has increased from £0.89 to £1.09

Morrisons Onions, 1 kg has increased from £0.95 to £0.99

Morrisons Market ST Royal Gala Apples, Pack of 6 has increased from £1.59 to £1.79

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Cost of Living Amazon-Morrisons Basket
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 18:38

Gonna dig up my lawn and start producing loose carrots.

That is obscene !!

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 20:49

Companies in taking the utter p*** out of the public, shocker
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 21:09

Twirls used to be £1 for 4 (two sticks per pack) but are now £1.20 in most places. I think Morrisons are having a laugh.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 9 Aug 07:56

I used to get loads of biscuits for work from Farmfoods, used to get 3 packets of Jammie Dodgers for a pound, now it`s 2 for £1.10. Everything is creeping up everywhere
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Aug 08:32

And it`s those who mind their pennies who will notice the most.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 16 Aug 19:20

I shop weekly at my local supermarket and prices of essential foods are increasing regularly, along with non essential goods. I don`t see how they can justify these increases. It won`t all be down to the retail sector, of course - producers and transport companies will no doubt have increased their prices.

For illustrative purposes. At the end of June, a 1.5kg bag of own brand strong white flour (made from BRITISH wheat) cost 60p. At the end of July it had risen to 80p and subsequently, 90p, 95p and £1. Today it was £1.10. Who knows how much it will cost by the end of the month.

Never mind - as long as the shareholders are raking in record dividends, eh? ☹

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Wed 17 Aug 07:03

20% of items are chocolate, I particularly like start on chocolate’s then go back for more - good work 😂👏🏼

Chocolate is one of the industries having to really increase prices or reduce sizes owing to price of cocoa and reduced crops as well as other cost increases funnily enough.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 17 Aug 08:22

One thing I did notice last night, was an advert on TV, I had to rewind it back to watch it again as I couldn`t quite believe what I had just seen. It was an advert for Marks & Spencer, shot in the style of one of those how is it made TV shows. They were advertising a sourdough loaf, and at the end of the advert it very proudly and prominently displayed the price of each loaf in large text-they were £4 each.

It really made me do a double-take, in a world where every other food retailer seems to be talking about how they are trying to keep prices down they are trying to flog what seemed to me like a very over priced item. Is it just me that thinks this, or am I missing something?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Wed 17 Aug 09:24

Not strictly related to this but was looking at Dominos menu for our local branch as a treat for the kids on holiday and was gobsmacked at the price increases.

Checked our order history from the last time we ordered around 18 months ago and a basic cheese & tomato pizza had went from £14.99 to £18.99 and they`ve also started sneaking in a £2 delivery charge now as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 17 Aug 10:42

With regard to groceries, if you have the time and inclination, it pays to shop around. Different stores seem to sell certain goods more cheaply than others. I have four stores within 20 minutes` walking distance and prices for some stuff can vary quite a lot. For example, 7 loose medium-sized bananas cost £1.89 in Sainsbury`s but about half that in Waitrose. On the other hand Sainsbury`s are cheaper for potatoes and ground coffee. I don`t know if prices are fixed locally or nationally.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 17 Aug 15:56

Quote:

red-star-par, Wed 17 Aug 08:22

One thing I did notice last night, was an advert on TV, I had to rewind it back to watch it again as I couldn`t quite believe what I had just seen. It was an advert for Marks & Spencer, shot in the style of one of those how is it made TV shows. They were advertising a sourdough loaf, and at the end of the advert it very proudly and prominently displayed the price of each loaf in large text-they were £4 each.

It really made me do a double-take, in a world where every other food retailer seems to be talking about how they are trying to keep prices down they are trying to flog what seemed to me like a very over priced item. Is it just me that thinks this, or am I missing something?

Bought one last week from retail park in Kirkcaldy, after 2 days a green mould became apparent, flung out!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Aug 19:54

M&S really is disgustingly expensive compared to other supermarkets
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Aug 08:40

Does anyone think these prices will ever return to anywhere near their previous levels if/when inflation is finally brought under control?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 18 Aug 09:28

"M&S really is disgustingly expensive compared to other supermarkets"

They are not in direct competition with Tesco and Asda etc., for family weekly shopping essentials.

Post Edited (Thu 18 Aug 09:49)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 18 Aug 16:39

I don`t shop at M&S as it is expensive but quite a lot of the stuff I`ve had from there is better than the other supermarkets. That being said it varies quite a bit and on personal taste.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 18 Aug 19:36

lpf .. I think that was the norm at one time .. same with their clothes .. now they are no better quality than Lidl for food or Matalan/Primark for clothes except 3 times the price ..
I see folk around about me get deliveries from Sainsbury ..nearest store 25 miles away .. there is a Co-op Tesco and Aldi in the Town why not shop local ?

To answer G.G.`s question NO we are the victims of profiteering and always have been

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Aug 20:10

I don`t know who, but someone round me gets Waitrose delivery. Nearest Waitrose is Edinburgh or Stirling. We live a short walk from Tesco and Aldi.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Aug 20:14

I think when it comes to food it really comes down to personal taste. Aldi and Lidl have never been as bad as their old reps used to suggest and some of their meats are excellent.

Aldi`s cheap range of knock off beers are for the most part very good, especially the Peroni copy.

Some of M&S`s ready meals have been light-years ahead of the Tesco and Asda equivalents. If you could be bothered going to every different shop you could probably pick up the best of each shop and save money vs the competitors.

Clothing wise for M&S they seem to be trying to compete with some of the designers aimed at younger folk which seems strange as they`re never going to replace other brands amongst the young team. Stone Island won`t be losing any sleep over M&S.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Aug 01:28

Once you get past Aldi and Lidls lack of `big name` brands they really are best for getting your food shop. Only issue is their lack of range that Tesco etc have so it requires 2 shops usually
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Fri 19 Aug 06:23

I`m not questioning the suggestion that companies seek to maximise their profits, that`s what they`re in business to do.

But global wheat production is declining due to climate change and the Ukraine war, while demand rises as people in poorer nations try to improve their living standards to those of the West. Inevitably prices rise.

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), US wheat No.2 Hard Red Winter, f.o.b. Gulf, which sets the benchmark price for global wheat markets, averaged $521 per tonne in May 2022, 76% higher than in May 2021. I don`t expect things have improved since May, or that they will do so any time soon. Hard times are coming ...

In the UK most people can cut down on their discretionary spending - in some countries they will simply starve.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[

Post Edited (Fri 19 Aug 06:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 19 Aug 08:24

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 18 Aug 08:40

Does anyone think these prices will ever return to anywhere near their previous levels if/when inflation is finally brought under control?

Only if we enter a long period of deflation (and that won`t be happening).

The impact of working people (having to work longer) and pensioners who were already close their limits will be significant unfortunately.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Aug 09:27

LPF - Lidl’s range of “knock off” ales are produced by a major UK brewer(s) - Marstons is one, if my information is correct.

Not sure about their lagers, however I would assume German - and they must meet strict German purity laws.

They do a decent wheat beer, however it has too much of the so called hint of banana for my taste.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Aug 16:56

Quote:

Stanza, Fri 19 Aug 06:23

I`m not questioning the suggestion that companies seek to maximise their profits, that`s what they`re in business to do.

But global wheat production is declining due to climate change and the Ukraine war, while demand rises as people in poorer nations try to improve their living standards to those of the West. Inevitably prices rise.

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), US wheat No.2 Hard Red Winter, f.o.b. Gulf, which sets the benchmark price for global wheat markets, averaged $521 per tonne in May 2022, 76% higher than in May 2021. I don`t expect things have improved since May, or that they will do so any time soon. Hard times are coming ...

In the UK most people can cut down on their discretionary spending - in some countries they will simply starve.

"Inevitably prices rise."

The only reason it`s "inevitable" is because all the businesses involved, from producers to retailers, decided to put their prices up because demand outstrips supply. I`m sure they would still make a healthy profit by holding the prices at the pre war in Ukraine levels

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 19 Aug 19:09

Not sure about that GG. Last year your energy supplier would have made about 30 quid profit from your bill. That`s not 30 quid per month, that`s 30 quid profit for the whole year.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Aug 20:46

Lidl used to have a range of ales made by Stewart`s. They were specific to Lidl but I`m fairly sure they were the same as the other beers made by Stewart`s but with different labels.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 00:58

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 19 Aug 09:27

LPF - Lidl’s range of “knock off” ales are produced by a major UK brewer(s) - Marstons is one, if my information is correct.

Not sure about their lagers, however I would assume German - and they must meet strict German purity laws.

They do a decent wheat beer, however it has too much of the so called hint of banana for my taste.

I haven`t tried the Lidl equivalents as there`s not one that close but I`m not surprised that major brewers brew some of the beer. Its like the major sauce producers that do the own brand versions as well as their own. Good to know they`re a decent quality too ill try and check them at some point. Cheers!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 06:36

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 19 Aug 19:09

Not sure about that GG. Last year your energy supplier would have made about 30 quid profit from your bill. That`s not 30 quid per month, that`s 30 quid profit for the whole year.

Yeah, I was referring to the mark up on basic foodstuffs. e.g. Asda`s own brand strong white bread flour (made from British wheat) was 60p in June but is now £1.10. I don`t know how they can justify that. Perhaps with no competition from Ukrainian wheat, they can charge what they like?

As for multinational companies like Shell and BP, they`re posting record profits, so why is fuel so expensive? (Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, as it can help drive down pollution.)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 10:08

LPF,

I believe that Lidl down south will offer different regional craft brewers brands from stores up here - but I expect they punt their “own brand” range across the U.K.

It’s not uncommon for bigger brewers to brew and/or bottlle competitors brands if they have spare brewing capacity.

For example Belhaven produced Calders Cream Ale for a while after the Alloa Brewery Co. closed, they did Innis & Gunn for years until I&G managed to find a brewery of their own. Now they are contracted to produce Deuchars etc. due to the planned closure of the Caley in Edinburgh.

When I worked at Williams Bros. a few years ago they bottled for some of the smaller Scottish craft brewers who did not have a bottling line. They now have a canning line and likely do the same in that market.

Do you have an Aldi locally - they might stock stuff you’d like ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 10:10

Well the lack of Ukrainian wheat certainly means the cost will go up for whatever wheat is left on the market. The price of that wheat was already going to be higher anyway because with the increase in fuel prices it is costing the farmer more to run the tractor and the combine. Then when you factor in the hike in prices of fertiliser, again produced in large volumes by Ukraine which isn`t getting exported, the tight margins that farms operate on are being squeezed hard.
The energy producers (not the suppliers) are making huge profits but it is worth remembering that in 2020 they made record losses. Shell and BP each lost over 15 billon pounds.
Inflation in this country was always going to be rise because of the stupidity of brexit but the war in Ukraine has exasperated it fourfold. I`m struggling like many others to make ends meet and cut backs and sacrafices are having to be made in my household. Of course my sacrafices aren`t as severe and lasting as the ones being made by the Ukrainian people.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 10:52

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 19 Aug 16:56

Quote:

Stanza, Fri 19 Aug 06:23

"Inevitably prices rise."

The only reason it`s "inevitable" is because all the businesses involved, from producers to retailers, decided to put their prices up because demand outstrips supply. I`m sure they would still make a healthy profit by holding the prices at the pre war in Ukraine levels

I`m guessing you didn`t teach economics ... :)

When demand exceeds supply, price increases until there is equilibrium between demand and supply. The End.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 15:53

TOWK and Stanza, I bow to your erudite knowledge of world economics, but I`m not entirely convinced by your explanations as to why we consumers are being royally screwed in both the food and energy sectors.

Take fuel costs. When crude oil prices increase, the cost is immediately passed on to consumers. When it comes down, we`re told that suppliers bought the fuels at the previously higher price, so they can`t pass on any savings straight away and when they do, it`s never the full amount. Even I with my rudimentary knowledge of economics, smell a rat here. Everyone knows Russia is Europe`s main supplier of natural gas, yet according to Ken Clarke, the EU has a much lower price cap than the UK, which still has a significant supply from the North Sea.

As for food supplies, yes transport costs have increased but the price rises, on an almost weekly basis in some cases, is out of all proportion, so it seems to me that there`s a lot of profiteering going on.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 16:10

The supermarkets used to sell bread and milk at a loss to get you through the door and flog you more profitable products.

I’m not sure if they still do that, but it was certainly common practice 20 years ago. I don’t know if that strategy still works today with online competition and some of those impulse purchases they relied on were things like CDs and DVDs which are not such big sellers now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 23:44

I suspect supermarkets did that for the same reason Stagecoach did when they first entered Fife - to kill the competition. Once the competition is gone they can whack the price up to whatever they wish. Basic economics.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 13:16

A lot Aldis food is produced by mainstream producers. Strachan`s ice cream is produced by Mackie`s. They also do a premium shortbread which is made by Dean`s of Huntly.

They do a lot of this sort of thing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 14:24

Most `own brand` supermarket products are just as good as the brand leaders. When I was a student I had a holiday job at Burtons Biscuits and a lot of the stuff they produced was put in different wrappers to suit their customers. Quality control was maybe a wee bit stricter for, say, M&S and the biscuits for them would be more regular in appearance but they were basically the same biscuits as Burtons would sell in their own name at a lower price. I`ve saved a few quid over the years buying `own brand` stuff.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 15:00

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 21 Aug 14:24

Most `own brand` supermarket products are just as good as the brand leaders. When I was a student I had a holiday job at Burtons Biscuits and a lot of the stuff they produced was put in different wrappers to suit their customers. Quality control was maybe a wee bit stricter for, say, M&S and the biscuits for them would be more regular in appearance but they were basically the same biscuits as Burtons would sell in their own name at a lower price. I`ve saved a few quid over the years buying `own brand` stuff.

Agree, eck. I tried Asda`s own brand corn flakes and bran flakes and the only appreciable difference I`ve found between them and their Kellog`s equivalent is the price. It`s not always the case, of course. I once tried a brand of corn flakes called Harvest Morn, but didn`t like them at all.

Happy to try anything once. In most cases the quality is very similar. I used to live next door to a man who worked at the bakery on the Limekilns road. I asked which sliced bread they made there. "All of them" he told me. When I asked him what the difference was among the different brands he replied, "The wrapping." 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 23 Aug 08:27

As an aside. My ex-wife used to work at a chicken packing factory. There were several different lines for different supermarkets.

The staff on each line got the same training.

Each supermarket would regularly do inspections. The only supermarket that did unannounced inspections was ASDA. M&S gave them 2 days notice. Others at least 1 day.

She used to say that no-one wanted to work the ASDA line as they had to maintain a higher standard than elsewhere or they could lose the contract
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Aug 09:29

I know a farmer who did inspections of beef cattle for M&S - very high standards.

For example, one establishment got a fail for a broken asbestos roof panel over where the beasts were housed.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Aug 12:18

A lot of products are exactly the same but different packaging. Some are made in the same factory but differing standards/recipes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 23 Aug 12:42

Wee Eck, I used to be the QA secretary at Burton’s many moons ago!

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net