DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Cancelled trains
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 22:30

Reminder tonight of why I stopped using the awful Fife service as the train is cancelled. The cancelled train then goes through the station despite being "faulty". I know it`ll have something legitimately wrong but the service to Scotland`s 8th city is abysmal. Piles of Hearts fans pouring out of Tynecastle and finding the only Fife-bound train is cancelled and it`s an hour until the next one to Dunfermline.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Cancelled trains
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 09:05

One solution could be to support your local team?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: oapar  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 11:08

Spot on DBP

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 12:01

What if they grew up in Edinburgh?

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 12:52

I DO support my local team!

I was in Edinburgh for work/pub rather than hanging around Tynecastle. It was actually quite depressing seeing the number of Fife-bound Jambos.

Service is still crap though and was made worse by the torn-faced Hearts fans on the later train.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 13:05

My first job involved daily commute to Waverley, latterly Haymarket. That was over 55 years years ago and the service wasn’t perfect but better than now.

My first experience of rail travel abroad was in Belgium 30 years ago and it was a revelation in every way - punctual, modern, clean, excellent connectivity to bus and tram service etc.

I don’t know what it’s like over there now, but I suspect we haven’t closed the gap much

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 13:23

Regarding the Hearts fans from Fife, I don’t live in the huge housing explosion that’s still going on east of the Town but perhaps many of those travelling fans have relocated over here?
I mean, If I was to move to Morningside I’d still mix with the plebs in the EEP queue before taking up my reserved posh seat…

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 14:53

Train services were bad when I started work in Edinburgh in 1968, dirty trains with no available seats when getting on at Rosyth. Often had to sit on the floor of the guards van, usually playing cards and checking out what was being delivered, fresh caught salmon being one commodity.

Running stock has certainly improved since those days, not so sure about punctuality.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 14:57

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Fri 26 Aug 14:53

Train services were bad when I started work in Edinburgh in 1968, dirty trains with no available seats when getting on at Rosyth. Often had to sit on the floor of the guards van, usually playing cards and checking out what was being delivered, fresh caught salmon being one commodity.

Running stock has certainly improved since those days, not so sure about punctuality.

You`ve just described what it was like in 2019 before the pandemic hit. Probably the same train carriage except it would be new then. You literally had people standing in the area intended to store luggage. Caged in commuters.

At the same time, millions invested in upgrades and new trains for the Edinburgh - Glasgow route to shave a couple of minutes off the travel time. Absolutely no way should it take 40 minutes to go from Edinburgh to Dunfermline QM.

As for the Jambos, I`d hope the majority were ex-Edinburgers. Some of them were grumpy enough to be Edinburgers, though they had just watched their team crash out of Europe.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 15:10

Ah the sixties at Rosyth Halt, if you missed your train on a cold winter morning Willie ( I think that was his name) would get you into his wee ticket office to warm your hands at the fire till the next one was due.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 15:49

Best train service I`ve had was in Perth, Australia. We were all travelling from my relatives house into Perth City Centre then a further bit to Perth Zoo. Think we paid about $3 to get on a bus to take us about 10 mins to the train station, from there we got to the train station and there was a countdown by the second until the train was due, and it was always bang on when it was due to arrive and every 15 mins. Clean carriages and comfortable in the heat. Then we were able to use the same ticket to board a ferry to travel out to an island and back. Would hardly get from Dunfermline to Inverkeithing for that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 17:05

Best train service I`ve experienced was from Denmark to Sweden for a wedding.

Rail station underneath Copenhagen airport with direct train to Malmo, walked a few hundred yards to change for Ystad.

Got a through ticket despite travelling in two different countries.

Only disappointment was not seeing Wallander !!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 17:20

Quote:

Parboiled, Fri 26 Aug 15:10

Ah the sixties at Rosyth Halt, if you missed your train on a cold winter morning Willie ( I think that was his name) would get you into his wee ticket office to warm your hands at the fire till the next one was due.

Oh the memories!👍😮‍💨

But was £1* 7/6p for a weekly ticket and £4*14shillings for a monthly!

137.5p & 470.0 in new money🤔

Post Edited (Fri 26 Aug 17:25)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 20:57

Transpennine express are not my favourite train company at the moment. I have just had an email telling me that part of my return journey on the 25th September has been cancelled. The last three scotland games I have been to some part of my train journey has been cancelled. The excuse is usually that they have a shortage of drivers.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net