DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 HMV
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 5 Sep 16:30

Reopening in the Kingsgate fairly soon. What I don`t understand is why or how? It`s been a while since I was in an HMV but last time I was in it was primarily CDs, DVD/Blu-ray and games with a smattering of books, novelty mugs, posters and t-shirts.

How are HMV surviving (and expanding!) when everything is going digital?

I`ll be honest, I welcome physical media. I find it depressing that my kids will likely never buy a physical album. Even their games can simply be downloaded rather than bought from a shop. I miss the cover-art and notes on physical media. I even miss swapping floppy discs on some of the really old games I had as a kid.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: HMV
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 5 Sep 18:41

Jake I think there is now more demand for all the old physical media than ever
My 16 year old Granddaughter and her pals are all buying vinyl
There is a shortage of new stuff as the pressing studio`s cant cope
Oh aye and cassettes are making a comeback as well

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 5 Sep 19:32

I miss third base that was just to the north of the bus station. Was a great wee shop for vinyl.
At the moment i buy most of my vinyl from Europa music in Stirling.
If anyone on here is old enough to remember Europa music in Dunfermline (just round the corner from the west end of the glen bridge heading up to dmc)...europa music in Stirling is owned by the guy who had the Dunfermline stores brother.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Sep 20:08

That`s superb if correct. Though I have to say tapes were and still are guff. Their only real benefit was being pretty robust.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 5 Sep 20:33

I was in the HMV store on Princes Street the other week, it wasn`t a patch on what it used to be with regard to the selection available, but things have changed and I guess they are finding their niche. It had a couple of rows of CDs, DVDs and Vinyl but not massive amounts. They did have plenty things like Record Players, Bluetooth Speakers, headphones etc. A lot of what they did seem to offer was stuff like Hello Kitty, Anime things, T SHIRTS, Marvel Graphic Novels etc. I would say mostly aimed at the teenage market than people seriously enthusiastic about music. Definitely the place to go if you want a Tin Box with Motorhead or ACDC socks. FOPP has about 4 times more CDs and loads more vinyl. Vinyl is very popular these days, I see FOPP were selling 2 Vinyl Albums for £40 like it was a bargain
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Mon 5 Sep 21:32

Quote:

widtink, Mon 5 Sep 19:32

I miss third base that was just to the north of the bus station. Was a great wee shop for vinyl.
At the moment i buy most of my vinyl from Europa music in Stirling.
If anyone on here is old enough to remember Europa music in Dunfermline (just round the corner from the west end of the glen bridge heading up to dmc)...europa music in Stirling is owned by the guy who had the Dunfermline stores brother.

Ewan`s daughter was in my class at school. Lovely family, believe they are celebrating 30 year anniversary in the very near future. Not sure if thats inclusive or just for the Stirling store (he started off in Alloa originally before moving to Stirling).

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Mon 05 Sep 21:37)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 5 Sep 21:55

Yeah he was telling me that his better half wanted to have a wee break away just before Christmas. ... But he`s not having it.
Busiest time of the year in retail 😂
He's been in Stirling for 30 years and was in Alloa for 10 years before that.

Admin

Post Edited (Mon 05 Sep 22:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Tue 6 Sep 09:03

First LP/album from first wage was the Beatles Help!.

Over the years I built up a fair but by means huge collection. After going cd I took bags of vinyl to a record fair only to find a load of folk tramping forlornly around also trying to offload their vinyl. In the end only sold a couple of Mrs P’s classical records for not very much and only after close examination for condition.
The rest went in the bin.

What I have read recently is that despite it being overtaken by other platforms over the decades nothing beats vinyl for the quality of sound. Will we now see loads of folk tramping forlornly around the record fairs with bags of cd’s?

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 6 Sep 11:25

The whole vinyl sound quality thing is exaggerated imo. Most records nowadays are recorded and edited on a computer so that will have the best quality (not MP3). I think the sound quality thing comes from the warmth from a vinyl. Digital solutions are naturally quite cold. It`s a bit like how your old arm chair will be comfier than a bespoke chair designed to offer you peak comfort.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Tue 6 Sep 13:30

I’m a bit deaf anyway, selectively so according to Mrs P, so I doubt If I would know the difference. I have seen the reference to “warmth” before though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 6 Sep 16:16

My son`s pal is selling all his vinyl through various sites, he has valued his collection through an app. and reckons about 50K.

He is selling alphabetically and is up to F, I think, so far 20K has been realised.

He has a first edition of Revolver which is valued at 7K on its own.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 6 Sep 17:19

Some of the original first pressings go for silly money LA .. but to get that money the album, insert/cards, sleeve etc, have all to be in mint condition

The price difference is huge if all is not mint

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 6 Sep 17:20

It’s Our Price I miss fae the Kingsgate and oor Rasta used to work there. He was one o the reasons I went in ~ always a guid blether plus I think I may have been the only customer buying BtVS videos. I think it changed to Virgin Music after then?

My sister is reclaiming her youth in nineteen canteen with a record player and some fabby vinyl.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Sep 18:01

It became a Virgin sub-brand like V-music. I have distant memories of it changing over.

HMV opened a temporary store where Boots is I think. This will be a proper one. It looks like it`s going to be where Burton and Dorothy Perkins were (over two floors). Hopefully something fills Debenhams as that end of the Kingsgate is miserable. I still don`t know why that extension was signed off with no natural light. The original Kingsgate is filled with light yet that end feels dark as there`s no windows.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 6 Sep 18:44

The dance music selection downstairs in the old HMV was fairly well curated for a mainstream store. Spent a fair whack in there back in the day then it was up to Cockburn Street for Fopp, Underground Solushun and round to Bass Generator records. Happy days.

Couldn`t afford to do that now as vinyl prices are even worse than they were back then.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 6 Sep 18:57

I mind the music department downstairs in Boots 😂

I thought a cinema complex would look good in the former Debenhams ~ on site parking etc.

Looking forward to HMV.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 6 Sep 19:16

Anything making a comeback like this can only be good news IMO.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Sep 19:35

Cinema unlikely given the situation with the likes of Cineworld. Agree it would be great to see in that space.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net