DAFC.net
Home 24 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dementia Friends
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 09:51

On the way down to Heathrow on the coach I had guy sit next to me. He started chatting to me about his footballing prowess when he was young. Quite a bawheid I thought, until he said a few more things that led me to realise he had dementia.

In between snoozing he chatted away repeating himself and coming up with evermore fanciful stories. Occasionally he got a bit worked up and a wee bit agressive at what he percieved to be bad driving from other traffic on the motorway.

If I hadn't realised the issue I might have changed my seat.
I worked with my wife for a couple of years, pre-covid, doing art sessions in care homes. We were booked solid from Feb to Christmas but the homes closing due to covid ended the business.
In that time I got a lot of invaluable experience in dealing with dementia sufferers which helped me understand and assist this guy.

If you would like to know a bit more about dementia and become a dementia friend. Follow this link.
You can attend a meeting or just watch a few short videos. Its not about becoming an expert. Just some info on how you can recognise the symptoms and maybe make a difference to someones life on occasion.

https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk/WEBArticle?page=become-dementia-friend

Post Edited (Mon 12 Sep 09:54)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net