DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dan McCafferty RIP
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 16:54

Sad news one of the greatest rock voices of all time died today aged 76

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dan McCafferty RIP
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 17:44

So Sad

I have not come to worship you
Only flowers at your throne

I have not come to plead or beg
Or to claim what is my own

Oh i know you are the king
And you`ll say what is wrong

I have come to cut you down
And to leave your body dead

RIP Dan

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 18:16

RIP Dan…….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 19:16

RIP Dan.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 8 Nov 19:32

Sad to hear this, a voice I grew up with!😮‍💨🎶🎶🎶
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 10:40

Often think of their early covers band days as the Shaddettes when I walk past the old Belville. They would have to update their set continuously to keep up with the hits of the day, and the hard work brought it’s reward.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 10:51

Saw them at the Glasgow Apollo back in the 70’s and have a few of their earlier albums. Sad sad news , no age at all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 11:38

I know it`s sad when music stars that you listened to growing up, pass away, but it`s magnified in this case, because he was local.

RIP, Dan

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 11:55

Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 9 Nov 10:40

Often think of their early covers band days as the Shaddettes when I walk past the old Belville. They would have to update their set continuously to keep up with the hits of the day, and the hard work brought it’s reward.

Yeah, my memories as well!🎶😮‍💨
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 14 Nov 00:16

Here`s a brief extract from a very detailed obituary in the Guardian :-

McCafferty was born in Dunfermline, Fife, where he attended St Margaret’s school. He had no formal musical training, but in 1965 he joined the Shadettes, who dressed in matching yellow suits and played cover versions of Top 30 pop hits in local venues such as the Belleville Hotel and Kinema Ballroom. Every week the band had to add three new songs from the charts to their repertoire, learning them on Sunday afternoon to perform that night.

The Shadettes had been in existence since 1961, and when McCafferty joined, its members included bassist Pete Agnew and drummer Darrell Sweet. In 1968 Manny Charlton joined as lead guitarist, and in December that year the foursome changed their name to Nazareth, inspired by the Band’s song The Weight and its line about pulling into Nazareth “feelin’ ’bout half past dead”. The reference was to the Pennsylvania town, rather than any Biblical connotation.

With financial backing and management from a local bingo-halls millionaire, Bill Fehilly, the band moved to London in 1970. Their energetic performing schedule brought them a deal with Pegasus Records, which released their debut album, Nazareth, in late 1971. It made little impression, though the band’s seven-minute version of the folk standard Morning Dew allowed McCafferty to demonstrate a vocal range stretching from quiet introspection to heavy-metal howling. The follow-up album Exercises (1972) likewise failed to chart.

The breakthrough with Hair of the Dog kicked off a streak of albums that hit the US charts (including a No 24 placing for Close Enough for Rock’n’Roll and 41 for Malice in Wonderland), though Stateside success coincided with their albums failing to register on the British charts. 2XS (1982) was their last album to reach the US Top 200 listing.

McCafferty features on all Nazareth’s albums up to Rock’n’Roll Telephone (2014), though his COPD meant that he had had to give up live performances in 2013. Also that year, he collapsed on stage at a gig in Cranbrook, British Columbia, because of a burst stomach ulcer.

“I’m sad about it but I just can’t sing a whole set live any more,” he said in 2014. He was replaced as vocalist by Carl Sentance, though was subsequently able to record his third solo album, Last Testament (2019), following on from Dan McCafferty (1975) and Into the Ring (1987).

He is survived by his wife, Maryann, and their sons, Derek and Colin.

William Daniel McCafferty, singer and songwriter, born 14 October 1946; died 8 November 2022

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Mon 14 Nov 08:01

Very interesting, if that is a brief extract the full obit must be quite a read! Must have a look.

As for their versatility in early days, they could belt out current chart hits of various genres, pop, rock, soul, just about anything really. I was a Motown fan and their covers of the Temptations, Isley Bros etc hit the spot for me.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Nov 10:15

Nice obituary, their Kinema and Belleville days were epic, playing the soundtrack of my youth!🎶🎶 RIP Dan 😮‍💨
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net