DAFC.net
Home 04 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 11:49

Surprised the Press hasn`t picked up on this (or did and I missed it). The Rosyth-Zeebrugge ferry is returning next spring. Freight only initially.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 17:10

Probably because it`s a positive story and brings Europe a bit closer to Scotland.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 18:53

Turns out the Press DID report it but it was more of a "could", "may" type article whereas the Record seems clear it IS returning.

It`d be good if this kick started work on the Scarborough Muir land. I know they got huffy when their plans for houses and restaurants were turned down (probably because it`s next to the poo factory!) but they have permission for a load of industrial and office buildings.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 10 Nov 08:38

Quote:

jake89, Wed 9 Nov 18:53

Turns out the Press DID report it but it was more of a "could", "may" type article whereas the Record seems clear it IS returning.

It`d be good if this kick started work on the Scarborough Muir land. I know they got huffy when their plans for houses and restaurants were turned down (probably because it`s next to the poo factory!) but they have permission for a load of industrial and office buildings.


Yet there is no demand whatsoever for office space and little for industrial, but a huge demand for housing.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Thu 10 Nov 10:49

From the Record article:

"A statement from DFDS and Ptarmigan Shipping reads: “Ptarmigan Shipping and DFDS have signed an agreement with the intention to further investigate the possibility for a new ferry route between Rosyth and Zeebrugge with a target date being early 2023 for freight.

"This is all subject to the support we can get from the market and stakeholders, which will be our focus during the next few months. A further study is being carried out regarding the passenger business.""

It`s still a maybe

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 10 Nov 12:55

Quote:

PARrot, Thu 10 Nov 08:38

Quote:

jake89, Wed 9 Nov 18:53

Turns out the Press DID report it but it was more of a "could", "may" type article whereas the Record seems clear it IS returning.

It`d be good if this kick started work on the Scarborough Muir land. I know they got huffy when their plans for houses and restaurants were turned down (probably because it`s next to the poo factory!) but they have permission for a load of industrial and office buildings.


Yet there is no demand whatsoever for office space and little for industrial, but a huge demand for housing.


Not the type of housing they would be building and also land that was never zoned for residential use. Who`s buying a home next to the sewage works?!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 10 Nov 16:38

Some very dodgy ammunition out there as well, as kids we were finding hand grenades there some 60+ years ago!

They never went off though!💥😲

Post Edited (Thu 10 Nov 16:39)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 11 Nov 09:42

Quote:

jake89, Thu 10 Nov 12:55

Quote:

PARrot, Thu 10 Nov 08:38

Quote:

jake89, Wed 9 Nov 18:53

Turns out the Press DID report it but it was more of a "could", "may" type article whereas the Record seems clear it IS returning.

It`d be good if this kick started work on the Scarborough Muir land. I know they got huffy when their plans for houses and restaurants were turned down (probably because it`s next to the poo factory!) but they have permission for a load of industrial and office buildings.


Yet there is no demand whatsoever for office space and little for industrial, but a huge demand for housing.


Not the type of housing they would be building and also land that was never zoned for residential use. Who`s buying a home next to the sewage works?!


I remember the smell that used to come fro. There but nowadays I don`t smell anything when I pass by.

The estate being built north of Baldridgeburn, joining on to Wellwood is another matter. With the wrong wind the stink from the tip is very noticeable.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
-
 Re: Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 11 Nov 12:29

There`s still a smell when you go over the bridge. I know this because the kids without fail will ask who`s farted. I know they supposedly did work to contain the smell but it`s definitely still there.

I`m genuinely surprised by the houses at Wellwood. It`s reeking up there and sometimes as far as Townhill and Lassodie. The plans indicate they`ll build up towards the old Rennie`s depot so some of those houses will be getting pretty close.

Last time I was up they seemed to have a lot more sheeting, but don`t think that would mask any smell, just stop stuff blowing away. I believe some of the smell comes from capturing the gasses that are then fed into the district heating system.

I suspect the bigger point with Rosyth is that the land was sold at industrial use value and the suspicion would be that SM are trying to make a quick buck by getting the zoning changed and selling it on. They`ve currently got approval for a number of units down there but don`t seem to be doing much. Last I read they were speculatively building a sizeable warehouse on the basis of Rosyth being made a Green Port.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 11 Nov 12:37

That area smells like eau d’brockville.
I had friends from Asia visiting Scotland visiting and had to explain it was the poo farm when passing it. No way people could live there. It cannot be healthy.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: Wedge  
Date:   Tue 22 Nov 13:08

Forth Ports are keen to support but nothing concrete in place and no real commitment. DFDS run a competing established service from Newcastle so have no real intention to make this particularly competitive. 86% of the Newcastle ferry traffic is destined to cross into Scotland.

The viability will be dependant on subsidies from Holyrood who politically need a direct link to Europe but that may provide the stability the route needs. Major haulage contracts with Ferry routes tend to be over 10/20 years meaning the route needs to be considered stable and wait until renewal points to win tonnage.

That said a huge pressure on HGV driver numbers and the avoidance of a couple days driving north to south does make even a slightly more expensive freight route more competitive. Ireland has shown that it can be very successful if commitment is made to a decent service, one that would be very good for local businesses.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 22 Nov 14:57

Newcastle ferry is to Amsterdam rather than Zebrugge but agree potential route duplication. I`m sure some of this will relate to capacity. If the Newcastle-Amsterdam route is undercapacity, it wouldn`t make sense to potentially redirect some of that traffic via Rosyth. On the other hand, if it`s busy and could be busier (are some hauliers utilising rail instead?), an alternative makes sense. There`s also the addition of obvious issues around the southern ports.

Subsidies will definitely come into it though.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Rosyth ferry
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 22 Nov 19:40

I remember when the ferry`s first started at Rosyth after the north wall and T berth were bought by forth ports ...iirc they ferries were heavily subsidised and when the money ran out they didn`t last much longer ...then there was freight ferries run by dfds for a while but that didn`t last long.
Will this time be any different ?

Admin
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 


Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:
   
 Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net