DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Off the boil
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 16 Nov 14:35

Just had my 33 old gas boiler annual service. “ Immaculate” said the young engineer from Tommy Graham “they don’t make them like that anymore “

Indeed, I’ve seen engineers come and go into retirement and total cost for parts over the years was one small thingy at £15.

Can’t go on forever though, and I am reading that Scot gov will ban gas boilers in new builds in 2024, (a year earlier than England just to be different), but also replacement new for old from 2025.

I take it If my old one doesn’t conk out before that, I can get a new one just before the ban takes effect?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Off the boil
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 16 Nov 15:35

You cannae beat an old boiler right enough.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 16 Nov 17:30

Ye mean an old Broiler wee eck :-))

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Nov 18:29

Everyone to his own taste, Bpp!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 16 Nov 19:17

Can mind back in the day wee eck before my auld pal Jack helped to establish Marshalls chunky chickens

We bought them with the feathers still on and my auld Gran used to burn them off with lighted newspaper

Ah the memories :-)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 16 Nov 20:41

Getting ahead of yourself. 2024 for new builds. 2025 for new gas/oil boilers is just a proposal at this stage and one that`s unlikely to be supported due to being completely impractical and unaffordable. Similar proposals are being made for other UK nations.

Our boiler is 20 years old. I wouldn`t fancy paying ££££ for a heatpump. If the 2025 proposal is passed then gas fitters will be VERY busy in 2024 unless things like heatpumps or electric boilers are made more efficient.

I looked into replacing our boiler with an electric one when it goes but the costs don`t add up. Electricity is too expensive.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 16 Nov 21:10

Like the “mandatory” multi linked fire alarms…one for the bird brained birds.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 16 Nov 21:28

Quote:

Parboiled, Wed 16 Nov 21:10

Like the “mandatory” multi linked fire alarms…one for the bird brained birds.

If it saves one life it has worked!🤔🚒🚒🚒
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 16 Nov 22:05

And what about these cars with seatbelts and airbags. Elf and safety gorn mahd!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 12:42

Linked fire alarms legislation - Insurance companies not interested, policies not affected, unnecessary panic, householders complied or ignored ignored it, mainly benefited those who exploited the gullibility of those who thought it was mandatory when there was no plan to enforce it

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 12:52

Insurers will almost certainly be interested when it comes to paying out on a claim for a fire in a property that didn`t have these alarms though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 12:57

Council still haven`t done ours despite letters stating they would.
Even had a council guy in the house telling me all about how important it was that it was done asap.....that was ages ago ...nothing heard since.
Probably ran out of money lol

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 15:11

Changed my 13yo boiler and my gas bill dropped by 30%+, don`t believe what a service engineer says about an old system it`ll be totally inefficient against new technology.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 15:47

I changed boilers last September and also replaced washing m/c, cooker and fridge and this year my gas and electricity usage is well down on the same quarter last year.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 16:16

I had it in writing from my home and contents Insurer for the last 34 years that the policy and premium would be unaffected. It was renewed In April this year with a discount.

Yes no doubt a new boiler would be more efficient, the engineer is not a salesman and merely said it was working remarkably well for its age.

If you want to reduce cooking costs get a Ninja multi cooker. Amazingly versatile.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 16:56

Quote:

JTH123, Thu 17 Nov 12:52

Insurers will almost certainly be interested when it comes to paying out on a claim for a fire in a property that didn`t have these alarms though.

Actually they won`t. Unless they put in a policy condition they cannot rely upon it. They have no plans to do so.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 17:02

Quote:

moviescot, Thu 17 Nov 16:56

Quote:

Actually they won`t. Unless they put in a policy condition they cannot rely upon it. They have no plans to do so.

Time will tell....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 17:12

Quote:

moviescot, Thu 17 Nov 16:56

Quote:

Hmmm, I wouldn`t leave it to chance, I got the interlinked alarms and installed them myself, 100 quid all in.
I`d imagine when it comes down to a claim of a few hundred thousand when a house burns down, insurers might be interested why you haven`t taken the necessary safety precautions to protect your home and family
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 17:24

Don`t get me started about home insurance....had a 6 month battle with E-Sure over a damaged suite, only resolved by FOS intervention!

They will try anything to get out of a pay out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 17:46

Until a couple of years ago I drafted home insurance policies. I`m still in touch with the dept.
They are not even looking at this.

Having these fitted will never prevent a fire so for the policy they are irrelevant. They are designed to save lifes not property which is what your fire insurance covers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 19:47

They’re designed to detect a fire in its incipient stages which will allow for a quicker attack and minimise damage. If you think that this won’t be a consideration for an insurance company as to whether they have to pay out £5000 or £300,000 then you’re missing the point.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 23:09

Quote:

dd23, Thu 17 Nov 19:47

They’re designed to detect a fire in its incipient stages which will allow for a quicker attack and minimise damage. If you think that this won’t be a consideration for an insurance company as to whether they have to pay out £5000 or £300,000 then you’re missing the point.

That really doesn`t matter. There is no condition on a home insurance policy to have any of these devices in your home. Without a specific condition no claim can be affected.
The ABI and insurers have already advised that no conditions will be applied to home insurance.

There are fire alarm conditions that can be applied to large mansion style houses but these would have to contact an alarm monitoring company. If these conditions are applied and alarm is not set then this can affect your insurance

Getting a smoke or heat alarm going off and potentially getting the fire brigade out 5 mins quicker is not going to make much difference. Insurers will always tell you not to try and put out a fire by yourself but to evacuate the building.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 17 Nov 23:26

Won`t there be something in the small print about meeting the legal requirements of your location?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 18 Nov 08:08

I have it in normal size print they are not ruddy interested... but for peace of mind those who haven’t got linked alarms and are worried about their policy can always check with their insurer.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Nov 12:23

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 17 Nov 23:26

Won`t there be something in the small print about meeting the legal requirements of your location?

No there isn`t.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Highway_Star  
Date:   Wed 23 Nov 21:02

Replaced our entire heating in 2020. Previous was a mixture of 1960s, 1980s and new hot water cylinder. Boiler was from 1986.

Renewed everything except the water cylinder and header tank.

Also added insulation under the floor.

Gas consumption halved!

A now deceased mate of mine, who was a heating engineer said of our old boiler, it chews through gas but it is utterly reliable.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net