DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Doddie Weir
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 13 Nov 19:12

Tears when I saw how Doddie looked today .. He is fighting the good fight .. surrounded by his beautiful Family .. but my oh my .. sad so sad .. Scotland tried their hardest for him .. but it was not to be .. I`m sure he will appreciate their effort

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Doddie Weir
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Mon 14 Nov 14:22

What a guy. I met him once, his car was in a gorse bush - he`d had to swerve from somebody coming out of a blind junction. He was bending into the drivers seat and stood up when I approached. What a presence! It was maybe four years since I`d last seen him on telly in a Scotland shirt. Of course I had no idea who I would meet and, as I looked at him, and it dawned on me, I said slowly, `You look like .. the .. Scottish .. rugby player .. Doddie .. Weir.`

`Aye that`s me,` he said in a deep voice, and held out a hand.

I tried my best to act like it was nothin`. `Aw - main man.` I said.

`Naw, no really.` He said, humbly.

He said he was on his way to play in an exhibition match, `Wi` Craig Chalmers?` - as if to say - `you`ve heard of him?` Two of my biggest sporting heroes!

Anyway he wasn`t hurt - he was waiting for somebody to come and pick him up.

Afterwards I wished I`d had the composure to think and tell him how much I appreciated him. I`d like to have said, `You`ve given me and my family a lot of pleasure over the years with your efforts for the Scotland rugby team.`

Doddie was always a bit special to me, as one of the very top Scottish rugby players, but to be there with him for a few minutes - as I told my wife - he had such presence, and it`s not just because he`s so big or because I was in awe; what came through was warmth and humility, and he`s got that thing that special folk have - he`s got charisma.

Post Edited (Tue 15 Nov 01:11)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 14 Nov 15:46

An amazing bloke. Given his battle he`s clearly focused on helping others.

Horrible condition.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 14 Nov 16:24

That is a lovely post oautp

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 14 Nov 17:43

Absolutely awful condition. The work he`s doing to raise awareness and money is fantastic. A true inspiration to everyone. Always seems happy despite his situation. I`m sure that`s not always the case but he definitely seems to just get on with it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Mon 14 Nov 18:32

I think it hits home more when you see him and the likes of Rob Burrow who were absolute beasts in terms of phsyical specimen and how it has ravaged their bodies.

My mother in law sadly looks similar now from Parkinsons but that has been a slow but steady decline over 15+ years, the speed and deterioration of the MND is utterly horrible.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Mon 14 Nov 18:42

My father in law got less than 18 months after his mnd diagnosis. He was a very active man and it was horrible to see him deteriorate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 14 Nov 21:27

Sad to see!😮‍💨
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 15 Nov 01:07

Thank you Buspass, I know how you feel about Doddie. Ever since I first became aware of him as a Scotland rugby player, long before he got his tartan suit and started a` the work he`s done for the charity, he was and is, one o` the folk that counted in my life. I was always glad he was in our team, you knew he`d give it everything. When I met him, although his car was off the road in a bush, and he must`ve had a bit of a shock, he was completely calm. In that situation he could have been forgiven for thinking the last thing he needed was a fan bothering him, but he didn`t show any irritation, he spoke to me as if I was an equal, (- me who`s acheived nothin` by comparison -) and he thanked me for seeing he was alright. I think he`s a great man - driven and highly successful but humble.

Something that stood out to me when reading about the foundation is that one of its aims is `Love, fun and hope`

https://www.myname5doddie.co.uk/who-we-are/

Post Edited (Tue 15 Nov 01:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wedge  
Date:   Tue 22 Nov 13:01

Amazing person, met him in New Zealand on the Lions tour just after the announcement and a few times at Murrayfield since, always in fine spirits and even took the p*** out my brother for being large and not tripping and making a hole in the stage at his graduation in Dundee a few months back.

Spoke to two of his sons at half time of the All Blacks game the other week who are a total credit to him. It is incredible the work they have all done to make a positive impact in what is clearly and emotional and difficult time.

I do remember my mrs offering him a handful of a large bag of Haribo to sneak in and use the Murrayfield boxes toilets rather than standing in the long queue, problem is his hands were like shovels and with only 2 gummy bears and a fried egg left she gave him the rest of the bag and was duly suck in. Returning with shortbread from the boxes he made sure she took up to the `cheap seats.` Total gentleman, absolute legend.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 17:38

Passed away sadly.RIP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 17:40

So sad. Horrendous disease.

RIP Big man

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 17:46

Rest in peace big man.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 18:23

So so sad .. RIP Doddie .. you were a giant human being in every aspect Thoughts and deepest sympathy with all your lovely Family and Friends .. you fought the good fight big man

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:14

Another good guy succumbs to this horrific affliction - R.I.P.

I think MND covers a few closely related conditions, including Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, aka Lou Gehrig`s disease in the USA.

The great Jimmy Johnstone was another tragic victim.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:44

RIP Doddie.

A great man in many ways. He always seemed to find the light in every situation.

I hope we manage to find a cure for this and many other conditions soon, and he will have played a part in getting us to that point.

The world will be a dimmer place without his grin lighting things up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ZiggyB  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 22:58

RIP big man just glad you made the Aussie game

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 06:48

I`m not a rugby fan but Doddie transcends all that. He wasn`t just a fine player but an inspirational human being, who`s touched the lives of so many people in such a positive manner.

A man of great courage and determination who never lost his sense of humour, he`ll be greatly missed by his family and all who knew him.

R.I.P. Doddie

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 18:35

One Doddie Weir - there`s only one Doddie Weir...!

I hope it rings out loud and clear next match at EEP.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net