DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 New roof
Topic Originator: babs woodhouse  
Date:   Thu 8 Dec 14:17

does anyone know the rough price of a new roof in the Dunfermline area
3 bed semi detached
i would say probably built in the 60s
I know the prices of everything have went up considerably

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: New roof
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 8 Dec 14:44

Price depends on what you want, slate or tiles.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Dec 14:53

probably slate would look better matching the neighbours

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 8 Dec 19:36

Quote:

babs woodhouse, Thu 8 Dec 14:53

probably slate would look better matching the neighbours

I can recommend JMR Roofing. Mark is a local lad, who runs a small family business. They will do a neat, professional job for a competitive price. He has done mine and those of another 4 houses in my neighbourhood and everyone was well pleased with the work and the price.

I suggest you get him and at least another 2 roofers to give you a quote for tiles and slate.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Dec 07:19

Thanks GG getting a quote from someone today looking around i think most will cost roughly the same
its good to have a personal ref from someone whos actually had work completed and are happy

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 9 Dec 08:39

Quote:

babs woodhouse, Fri 9 Dec 07:19

Thanks GG getting a quote from someone today looking around i think most will cost roughly the same
its good to have a personal ref from someone whos actually had work completed and are happy

Get at least another 2 Babs. I got 4 altogether and the dearest quote was 25% more than the cheapest. JMR Roofing was a bit dearer than the cheapest but I got them to do my roof on neighbours say so. Mark also knocked a bit off his original quote by way of a thank you.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Fri 09 Dec 08:39)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Dec 10:17

Had mine done a year ago, Victorian semi detached with bay window, slates stripped off and replaced by tiles. Guttering and down pipes done, 8 metres of facia, flat roof on kitchen done in the "new" rubberised felt, 3 velux windows replaced .

Was done by a roofer who was at school with my daughter and has his own company, under 15K cash in hand, Velux windows were the big delay!

Absolutely delighted with the job, getting money out the bank is a different story.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Fri 9 Dec 10:55

That seems a very good price LA.

I could recommend Davie Dennis from Alloa. Guy always does great work and has a very good reputation. Does quite a bit of work in fife.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Fri 9 Dec 12:00

On a separate note, unsure if this is a consideration for yourself Babs, but if you are potentially looking at Solar Panels like half of the country at the moment, having these done at the same time as the roof will definitely save you money rather having them done in the future.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 9 Dec 14:02

Might be worth paying a nominal deposit with a credit card even if you pay the balance by other means.That way you are covered by Section 75 of the consumer credit act and are covered for the full value of the transaction up to 30k if anything were to go wrong.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Dec 07:14

Thanks for the advice everyone
Babs

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 12 Dec 13:45

With very old, slate roofs, I assume that its the wood and liners underneath that rot over time and cause the slates to slide down and fall off?

Would it be feasible to strip the roof, replace the wood and felt and then put back the old slates?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 12 Dec 15:43

I`m no roofer but I know you can reuse old slate tiles but the issue will be the condition of them. What I`ve seen online is people cutting down the slate into uniform sizes to reuse.

Not sure how much you`d save having someone have to recondition them all. The video I saw was a guy using second hand ones on a garden room roof.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Dec 17:44

Normally it`s the nails holding them on that rot, my slate roof was over 100yrs old and the lining below was horse hair felt.

Once stripped off the timber below was inspected and no repair/replacement was required, roof was refelted (newer version) then tiled.

I was told that slates go like paper and become very brittle through time, although I saw no evidence of this on my 100yr old slates.

Roof tiles become porous through time as well, though I`ll no be here when they do.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net