DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Weird building designs - Littlewoods/Primark
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 6 Dec 23:32

For whatever reason I`d never paid much attention to the two floors above ground level of the Primark shop. There`s no upstairs and no connection from the adjacent buildings. Having looked up the plans it turns out these two floors are actually...nothing! It`s literally a void space that presumably only exists to make it look like the buildings are a consistent height.

Another oddity is the height of the building once you reach the back. As it`s on a hill it ends up being quite a tall building. Presumably the back area and floors below basement level are used for storage. Seems a hell of a lot of storage for one shop though.

Perhaps I`m going down a rabbit-hole of "what`s that for?" but I`m also wondering why Bob and Bert`s never bothered with upstairs in their Dunfermline unit. It looks like they actually painted the upstairs before ripping the stairs out. Is there another access? What`s up there now?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Weird building designs - Littlewoods/Primark
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 7 Dec 01:24

Perhaps the lower floor is also for staff - a canteen perhaps? Bound to be lockers etc too.

When the new coffee shop went in across from it I was telling folk ir was Bert and Ernie’s until I saw its sign outside 😂

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”

Post Edited (Wed 07 Dec 09:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gwh18  
Date:   Wed 7 Dec 03:46

Can’t remember the layout of the building. I’m sure the staff canteen was below the public one. Used to hide up on the roof to avoid working. Think there was some storage but the only access was by a staff lift. I can’t recall clearly though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Dec 09:09

Would be weird if it was completely empty. There can`t be access from either side so must be stairs to it on either side of the building.

Was the public canteen where the kids part is downstairs? I can only ever remember that being Iceland but the Iceland was a relatively new addition. Then they added Index upstairs before it ultimately failed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 7 Dec 09:24

Index was sold to Argos for info..
Argos also bought the name incase they ever wish to use it.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 7 Dec 18:40

Didn`t realise Index went to Argos. I`d assumed it just ceased to be. Argos is an interesting one. It`s effectively the bricks and mortar version of Amazon. It shouldn`t work but does.

Surprised to see Shoezone is closing. I didn`t think it would ever close.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 7 Dec 21:44

Gutted about Shoezone. Lovely staff who are devastated too.
It’s the only - for me - affordable and well made shoe shop in town.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bowie  
Date:   Thu 8 Dec 19:33

Upstairs in Bob and Bert`s can be accessed from the roof of the Kingsgate, or at least it was when it was McDonald`s.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Thu 8 Dec 22:36

I took a look and it seems like there a lift and stairs to the upstairs but it`s staff only and the part that was publicly accessible is blocked off.

I`m just astonished that ShoeZone is shutting! I don`t get how that`s possible. ShoeZone is like the cockroach of the retail industry.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 33Par  
Date:   Sun 11 Dec 19:20

Upper floors of Littlewoods etc was Council offices. Door was on New Row just before where the job Centre was.

Marootsmin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Dec 20:27

Don`t think so. The council offices were above the shops next door (currently Caffe Nero, Pandora and Shoe Zone). There appears to be nothing above Primark apart from a void.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Mon 12 Dec 11:37

I worked in the Littlewoods building when Iceland was at the back by the restaurant. It certainly is a strange building.

At the back right hand corner was a staircase down to a huge staff canteen then down to a loading bay on Canmore street.

There was a lift in the same corner down to the loading bay but it didn`t go any further up than high street level. I don`t recall ever seeing steps up either but assume there must be access somewhere even if it is a void.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Tue 13 Dec 15:54

I suspect the purpose of this facade, as suggested by Jake in his op, was to preserve the continuity of traditional sky line/height of the High Street.
If the store had a flat roof just above the entrance there would have been an unsightly gap. Like a big pulled tooth!
Anyhoo I know an ex manager there so I will ask him.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 13 Dec 17:26

Quote:

Parboiled, Tue 13 Dec 15:54

I suspect the purpose of this facade, as suggested by Jake in his op, was to preserve the continuity of traditional sky line/height of the High Street.
If the store had a flat roof just above the entrance there would have been an unsightly gap. Like a big pulled tooth!
Anyhoo I know an ex manager there so I will ask him.

Wouldn`t be Norrie R?🤔
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net