DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Qatargate
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 12 Dec 19:40

It appears that buying the 2022 WC may merely be the tip of a giant iceberg.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/10/calls-for-eu-reform-after-five-arrested-in-qatar-corruption-inquiry

It would be a major surprise if Doha`s tentacles haven`t reached the UK as well as the EU.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Qatargate
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Mon 12 Dec 20:11

sportwashing has always been just a bit of sparkle to add to corrupt regimes. Blatant bribery comes easier to them than putting on a World Cup or olympics.

The amount of corruption in the high levels of government is already known, 1 corrupt given and another corrupt government, well let’s all do the maths and see if they are related…

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 13 Dec 06:18

You know what I find odd about this is that these deals would have been made years ago and only seem to be coming to light now. Has someone not been paid what they were offered and are now disgruntled?
The piece in the article about ongoing pressure for migrants rights after the World Cup is finished…. In reality nobody will care and it will go back to normal after the circus has left town and there will be no changes. The time for leverage was before the World Cup was awarded.
I have never been more disenfranchised from what should be an enjoyable tournament of football.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Dec 18:40

This corruption scandal has finally been picked up by the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63975249

Qatar should be shunned by all and sundry, but Europe needs its natural gas if it's going to turn its back on Russia. Fires and frying pans spring to mind.

Post Edited (Thu 15 Dec 06:58)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Wed 14 Dec 19:45

How on earth could the Uk take the moral high ground concerning corruption? Just look at Michelle mone and her husband, and they will just be the top of the iceberg. As a nation since the Tories got in to power , we are as corrupt as any.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Dec 07:06

Quote:

dd23, Wed 14 Dec 19:45

How on earth could the Uk take the moral high ground concerning corruption? Just look at Michelle mone and her husband, and they will just be the top of the iceberg. As a nation since the Tories got in to power , we are as corrupt as any.

Corruption is endemic but that doesn`t mean it shouldn`t be highlighted and those responsible named, shamed and punished, if possible.

You`re not suggesting that the UK media should stay silent because that would be taking the moral high ground, are you? Instances of corruption which are uncovered, should always be reported without fear or favour, those in our own country even more so.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 15 Dec 18:39

GG i think you are being a bit harsh in your response to dd23 He never mentioned the media He is meaning the UK Government .. and the fact that we know of the Mone debacle is purely down to media coverage

He is also correct in that since the Torrie`s came to power we have seen the most corrupt and biggest waste/re allocated tax payers money in mine and your lifetime .. London is the money laundering capitol in the modern western world

The Tory controlled media will only tell us what we need to know just saying

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Dec 19:41

Quote:

Buspasspar, Thu 15 Dec 18:39

GG i think you are being a bit harsh in your response to dd23 He never mentioned the media He is meaning the UK Government .. and the fact that we know of the Mone debacle is purely down to media coverage

He is also correct in that since the Torrie`s came to power we have seen the most corrupt and biggest waste/re allocated tax payers money in mine and your lifetime .. London is the money laundering capitol in the modern western world

The Tory controlled media will only tell us what we need to know just saying

I can`t disagree with any of that BPP and I apologise to dd23 if the tone of my response came across as harsh or judgemental. That was not my intention.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Thu 15 Dec 21:03

No problem GG, I was really calling out the corruption of the Westminster government and stating that they are in no position to take the moral high ground over any other nation.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 15 Dec 23:22

Burn or eat the rich I say. Problem solves
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Dec 06:17

Quote:

dd23, Thu 15 Dec 21:03

No problem GG, I was really calling out the corruption of the Westminster government and stating that they are in no position to take the moral high ground over any other nation.

Cheers, dd. I totally misunderstood your post (showing my age?) I thought you were saying we in the UK are in no position to point the finger at Qatar or the EU, because we`re just as corrupt.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net