DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Fod Arms
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 16:43

Now just a pile of rubble. Such a shame to see one of the oldest buildings in Halbeath left to rot. Now to be replaced by a Stephen`s drive through.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Fod Arms
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 23:56

It’s been needing to come down for a while. Looked unsafe from the outside.
I don’t recall ever being in it or as Hotel Roma.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: maradona86  
Date:   Sat 14 Jan 09:55

Was on the Fod Arms DAFC supporters bus many a time during the 90s, also remember Stuart Adamson turning out for the Fod Sunday league team. Unfortunately was on a downward spiral when the last owner took over and turned in into the Hotel Rona. Similarities of The Auld Toll to the Olive Tree.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 14 Jan 11:18

Quote:

maradona86, Sat 14 Jan 09:55

Was on the Fod Arms DAFC supporters bus many a time during the 90s, also remember Stuart Adamson turning out for the Fod Sunday league team. Unfortunately was on a downward spiral when the last owner took over and turned in into the Hotel Rona. Similarities of The Auld Toll to the Olive Tree.

Was that not the same owner? Who does own it now, you would have thought they would have taken better care of their investment
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 14 Jan 13:12

Same guy who owned the Fod/Hotel Roma owns the Auld Toll/Olive Tree. It got permission a couple of years ago to be converted to a flat upstairs. Being honest, the whole building probably needs demolished.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 15 Jan 05:26

Quote:

jake89, Sat 14 Jan 13:12

Same guy who owned the Fod/Hotel Roma owns the Auld Toll/Olive Tree. It got permission a couple of years ago to be converted to a flat upstairs. Being honest, the whole building probably needs demolished.

It is one of the oldest buildings in the city. Historically significant too.
It needs fixed up.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 Jan 08:49

There`s been a building there since at least the 1850s but then many older buildings have been destroyed by their owners or are uneconomical to repair. The building would look nice if taken back to brick and all the "additions" removed. That`s up to the owner though. It`s had planning permission for over two years to convert to a home.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 15 Jan 14:08

Quote:

jake89, Sun 15 Jan 08:49

There`s been a building there since at least the 1850s but then many older buildings have been destroyed by their owners or are uneconomical to repair. The building would look nice if taken back to brick and all the "additions" removed. That`s up to the owner though. It`s had planning permission for over two years to convert to a home.

I would have thought it was older. I thought it was the toll house for medieval Dunfermline. Should be listed, protected and proper maintenance enforced.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 15 Jan 14:28

It`s shown on 1850s maps but hard to tell if it`s the same building. The planning application suggested 1890s.

The plans are incredibly poor IMO. The flat would have two sizeable living rooms, an enormous kitchen and two tiny bedrooms.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 Jan 16:54

Quote:

jake89, Sun 15 Jan 14:28

It`s shown on 1850s maps but hard to tell if it`s the same building. The planning application suggested 1890s.

The plans are incredibly poor IMO. The flat would have two sizeable living rooms, an enormous kitchen and two tiny bedrooms.

I was speaking to a chap in his garden along Abbey Park Place. Nice chap, retired solicitor. He told me his house was the second oldest in habited building in Dunfermline. The oldest is down opposite the Bank of Scotland building near the Petrol Station apparently
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 Jan 17:59

That`s the Rhodes and is over 300 years old apparently. It`s definitely older than the Auld Toll.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 Jan 19:05

From the Herald newspaper
“`The Rhodes`, in the town`s Brucefield area, dates back to 1695 and is reckoned to be the oldest continually inhabited building the area.

Still a family home, the B-listed house was built by local landowner William Walker at the end of the 17th century on the site of an older dwelling.

Few details remain of the first building to occupy the ground - which is near the first resting place of the body of King Robert the Bruce - but it was said to be the home of the "keeper of the Roods and Alters" at Dunfermline Abbey. “

I thought it had been the site of a brewery but I can’t find mention of it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 Jan 20:25

Cheers Buffy, that`s an interesting bit of background on it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 15 Jan 20:28

My suspicion is it wasn`t actually a toll house, or wasn`t the original toll house. There was one around there as it`s recorded that there was one in St. Leonard`s in the early 1800s. It`s hard to tell with the mock Tudor B&Q additions, but I don`t think it looks 200 years old and it`s not listed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1885thepars1885  
Date:   Mon 16 Jan 06:14

Auld Toll was just a name given to the building, it has nothing to do with tolls historically.
Was called Jennie Rennies Tavern and run by Jennie Ronnie and her familyin the mid 1800s.
The current building is a total mess and a sad reflection on the current owner.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KirklistonPar  
Date:   Tue 17 Jan 17:54

The date in the outside of the building says 1891 going by what I can see. I’ve enjoyed many a pint in the Fod Arms when I used to attend Lauder College years ago.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Wed 18 Jan 14:28

Aye KirklistonPar, I to spent many a Thursday there on `day release` in the early 80s. They had cracking bar lunches and a good pint. I was under the impression it was a coach stop on the Mail road.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 07:29

The 2 posts above this one suggest that Lauder College was a mighty hard shift for the students of yesteryear......🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 11:00

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 20 Jan 07:29

The 2 posts above this one suggest that Lauder College was a mighty hard shift for the students of yesteryear......🤔

To be frank though, that`s the way it should be when you are a student, mornings for learning then afternoons for leisure. Best days of your life
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Digs  
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 16:32

The Auld Toll has is just another example of that guy ruining a perfectly nice building. It was a great wee pub, and used to be haunt of a few of the teachers from DHS at lunchtimes, Davie Thomson to name one.

I used to deliver papers to The Rhodes, it was the first house on my route. The Daily Mail if memory serves. Always got a decent tip off them at Christmas though.

Stair Maistreas na Beatha
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 11:55

Quote:

red-star-par, Fri 20 Jan 11:00

To be frank though, that`s the way it should be when you are a student, mornings for learning then afternoons for leisure. Best days of your life

Wasn`t massively into mornings back in my student days...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 22:27

Far from the oldest building. I own a building that was built in 1649, and I’m sure that’ll not be anywhere near the oldest.

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 23:50

Quote:

AlfonzoBonzo, Sat 21 Jan 22:27

Far from the oldest building. I own a building that was built in 1649, and I’m sure that’ll not be anywhere near the oldest.

1649, where is this building? Dunfermline?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 23:58

Limekilns

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 02:35

Wikipedia on Limekilns
“The oldest building in the village is The King`s Cellar, a large property which can be traced back to 1362. It has served many different purposes throughout its long life, notably as a store house, school, library and chapel. It is currently employed as a Freemasons Lodge and is generally not open to the public.”

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parnott  
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 10:53

Quote:

Digs, Fri 20 Jan 16:32

I used to deliver papers to The Rhodes, it was the first house on my route. The Daily Mail if memory serves. Always got a decent tip off them at Christmas though.

You are correct about the Daily Mail! 😆 I did that route from 92-96
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars232  
Date:   Sun 22 Jan 19:40

Quote:

Parnott, Sun 22 Jan 10:53

Quote:

Digs, Fri 20 Jan 16:32

You are correct about the Daily Mail! 😆 I did that route from 92-96

It was a lady called Nancy that lived there at that time. She and/or her husband were doctors. A lovely lady, was in her company many times.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net