DAFC.net
Home 18 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Ken Buchanan (d)
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 1 Apr 17:53

The death of Ken Buchanan, former light welterweight champion of the world, has been announced. He was as fine a professional boxer as Scotland has produced and was unlucky to face the then unknown Roberto Duran when he lost his title courtesy of an appalling low blow after the bell in the 13th round.

I remember being so proud in the mid 1960s watching Scotland regularly beat England at amateur boxing when we had fighters like John McCluskey, Buchanan, Tom Imrie, Andy Peace (from Ballingry) and the great Dick McTaggart.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Ken Buchanan (d)
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 1 Apr 18:01

Correction: Ken was the world champion at lightweight. It`s hard to imagine that Duran was ever a lightweight.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 1 Apr 18:02

Good post sammer .. He was a special boxer and Human Being .. Dick McTaggert was the reason I Joined the amateur boxing back in the day .. RIP Ken

Post Edited (Sat 01 Apr 18:02)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 1 Apr 18:17

Buchanan was undoubtedly one of the finest boxers these islands has produced but against Duran he was outclassed. Before the thirteenth round low blow (after the bell had rang) he was well behind on points. No disgrace in that, Duran was one of the pound for pound all time contenders.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 1 Apr 20:09

Nice piece from Tom English :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65148580

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 18:59

I worked as a waiter in my uncle`s Edinburgh restaurant on a Saturday evening, when I was a student. This young man came in on his own and I gave him a menu. He asked if he could have the photo of the boxer in the pocket. I explained that it was Ken Buchanan who had previously been in as a customer. He offered me £5 and then £10 but I stood firm. He ordered a meal, ate and left me a £5 tip, which was a lot of money 50 years ago.

When I told my uncle he said "Did you not recognise him? That was Ken Buchanan. He`s a regular customer. Just as well for you, you didn`t take the money - he`d have been annoyed at you." 🙄

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net