DAFC.net
Home 24 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Stagecoach bus ticket rises
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 13:41

I’ve been travelling to the Vic in Kirkcaldy these past three weeks by bus (and car) to visit Mither. But today’s afternoon trip has been shelved after I clocked the new price for the EoS day rider ticket ~ £11.00 instead of £9.50. A 15% price rise 😮

I feel sorry for commuters this morning, too.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Stagecoach bus ticket rises
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 20:09

I know people go on about it, but how the hell is public transport so expensive in the UK in comparison to countries in Europe?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 20:38

11 pound for a day ticket seems very expensive. I travel to work by bushere in Bradford. A 7 day pass costs £20 a day pass is £4-50 and you can get a single journey ticket for £2 these are with First bus. I know they get a lot of subsidies so possibly why they are so much cheaper.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 20:48

That seems expensive buffy. I get a return from bus station into Edinburgh bus station for £6.30

Might be more expensive this week if fares increased
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Apr 22:53

It is expensive. This is on their website:

“We`ve removed standard returns from our fares as the best value option is usually one of our DayRider tickets if you`re making two or more journeys on the same day. However, some of our promotional discounted day return tickets are still available.”

A single to Kirkcaldy from Dunfermline is £6.70 therefore x2 = £13.40, so their dayrider at £11.00 is £2.40 cheaper.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Apr 06:57

If that`s the case then I`ll switch back to the train then... Was only taking the bus as it was £6.30 vs about £12, but at a similar cost then the train is about 25 mins quicker each way

Post Edited (Tue 04 Apr 06:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 4 Apr 08:09

I thought Dick Turpin rode a horse
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Apr 08:41

ScotRail (and Trainline) advertising £12.90 for a return Dunfermline to Edinburgh. Ouch!
But as you say quicker, DBP.

The ScotGov were supposed to be removing peak time fares from this month (temporarily) to encourage more passengers to travel. Not sure if this is still happening.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Tue 4 Apr 09:03

Quote:

buffy, Tue 4 Apr 08:41

The ScotGov were supposed to be removing peak time fares from this month (temporarily) to encourage more passengers to travel. Not sure if this is still happening.

When first announced the trial was to be starting sometime between April23 and March24.

Latest I`ve heard is that it is due to start in September.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 4 Apr 13:35

Full-size, self-driving bus services will begin in Scotland next month in what is believed to be a world first. Stagecoach said the route over the Forth Road Bridge would launch on 15 May. The 14-mile route will run between Ferrytoll park and ride in Fife and Edinburgh Park train and tram interchange. Five single-decker autonomous buses will have the capacity for about 10,000 passenger journeys per week.

The vehicles have sensors enabling them to travel on pre-selected roads at up to 50mph. They will have two members of staff on board. A safety driver will sit in the driver`s seat to monitor the technology, and a so-called bus captain will help passengers with boarding, buying tickets and queries.

The UK government said Project CAVForth would be the world`s first full-size, self-driving public bus service. Scottish government Transport Minister Kevin Stewart said: "This is an exciting milestone for this innovative and ambitious project, and I very much look forward to seeing Project CAVForth take to the roads next month. Our trunk road network can provide a wide range of environments as a diverse testing ground, and the ground-breaking and globally significant project will really help Scotland establish its credentials on the world stage."

Stagecoach UK managing director Carla Stockton-Jones added: "We are excited to introduce the UK`s first autonomous bus fleet in east Scotland which is also home to our headquarters and where it all began over 40 years ago. We are proud to be at the forefront of transport innovation with this project that marks a significant milestone for public transport and we look forward to welcoming our customers on board in the coming months.``

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Tue 4 Apr 14:31

Great. A self driving bus that needs 3 staff instead of 1 driver .

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 4 Apr 16:45

The open ended free bus pass for us auld yins and young pups seems hard to justify in light of such rises.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Apr 16:49

Doesn`t it just mean it`s an even bigger benefit for those who qualify?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 06:56

Those prices are wild.
Over here you can buy a GermanTicket for for about 59 euros a month and travel on any regional train, bus, s bahn or tram all over the country.
If you have an employer like mine they pay for it too.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 08:18

Edinburgh tram prices have popped up as well for info, was usually £3.40 for a two way trip in City zone, gone up 40p to £3.80. £1 and 50p rises across the Airport zone as well.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Apr 14:58

Paid £11.80 for return to Edinburgh on train (rush hour travel). Got train about same time as I get on bus and was at my desk about half an hour earlier

If bus anywhere near that price then will revert back to trains
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 11:26

Scottish Government and Scotrail to announce 60% reduction in train fares across Scotland until the 2nd June.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 6 Apr 12:05

Train fares in this country are ridiculous as are the services. I`m too young to remember British rail but the current setup doesn`t work. One company maintaining the rails, another that leases carriages and another that organises the running of services. Whoever thought that up was high as a kite.

My experience is limited to the likes of SNCF but their services seem frequent and reasonably priced.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 11:50

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 4 Apr 16:49

Doesn`t it just mean it`s an even bigger benefit for those who qualify?

The concession bus pass should be restricted in distance - to allow people without a car to make essential journeys to shops etc. Say 10 miles from home, with review for those who live in more remote locations.

Not days out anywhere across Scotland.

I’m struggling to justify our jollies to St.Andrews to be truthful.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 12:55

That would be quite difficult to monitor and administer I would imagine. It`s not just a financial benefit; longer journeys and day-trips can provide social benefits and improve well-being for people who might otherwise be stuck at home.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 14:16

And support local economies where otherwise there would be less visitors.

My mum uses the bus pass to travel and visit relatives she wouldn`t be able to see without it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 18:46

Aye, the free bus pass from over 60s encourages plenty of people to get out and about - often those with no mortgage and plenty of surplus income.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Apr 18:54

Surely restricting the free tickets would mean they`d spend in the actual local economy rather than the local economy of Aviemore or wherever their free ticket takes them?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dumpster  
Date:   Sat 8 Apr 16:58

Free bus for over 60s means other services are losing out. In my view it should be means-tested; it should not be subsidising people who can otherwise afford it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Apr 17:50

Most people who can afford it would drive anyway...

Often implementing means testing costs more than just opening it up
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dumpster  
Date:   Sat 8 Apr 18:06

If above argument is valid is there not a case for making it free for everyone?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 8 Apr 19:19

Different demographic with different travel needs so not the same - eg rich pensioners don`t need to commute at rush hour into city centre
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net