DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 New community cinema project
Topic Originator: Diabolik  
Date:   Mon 10 Apr 20:43

I`ve been working with Fire Station Creative in Dunfermline on a new a monthly film night, something I think the town centre has been sorely lacking.

We`re hoping to show a range of films, from classics to newer releases. We`ve got some great plans and some exciting special guests lined up (including a Scottish filmmaking legend). But we need the first few screenings to go well to prove it`s financially viable.

Our screening next week is Alfred Hitchcock`s masterpiece of suspense, North by Northwest. It`s a great venue where you can grab a drink from the bar and settle down for this absolute classic.

If you love a good movie night, or frankly just want to support something new and interesting happening in our "city" centre, you can grab some tickets here. All support for the project is appreciated.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fsc-film-club-north-by-northwest-tickets-586087632887

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: New community cinema project
Topic Originator: Highway_Star  
Date:   Tue 11 Apr 20:16

Good luck!

I was working with the previous community cinema venture, on the technical side.

They aimed high, DCI compliant (which means the possibility of new release content). I obtained a projector, server and audio decoder. And then CV19 :(

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 11 Apr 20:49

Was that the one planned for the Watt and Dewar building? Thought that looked like a cracking idea.

Hope the venture FSC works out. Would be great to have films back in town again.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Diabolik  
Date:   Tue 11 Apr 21:32

Thanks! Was sorry that venture didn`t work out, I`d been following the progress.

While we can`t replicate a "proper" cinema experience at the Fire Station, they`ve invested in a new 4K laser projector and speakers. And what we might lack on the technical front, I`m hoping people with enjoy the atmosphere. It`s a nice venue and people can settle down with a drink from the bar. I`ll be giving the film a live introduction too.

Just hoping it can get enough support to show there`s at least an audience for this kind of thing in the town.

Post Edited (Tue 11 Apr 21:37)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Apr 08:58

That`s a great way to hopefully build an audience. With that established the case can be made for funding to do bigger and better things.

The public meetings and level of support previously showed there IS a demand for cinema in Dunfermline which isn`t the Odeon. In terms of price, location, atmosphere and programming. Especially with the demise of the Filmhosue in Edinburgh and the Cameo in Edinburgh now being really just an extension of CineWorld, at least in terms of it`s program. (I was a projectionist there in the 1990s. Compare the eclectic program then, with now. Makes me really sad)

The kit I aquired is still safely stored. Who knows, maybe it will live again?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Apr 09:02

Jake89, the plans for the W&D building are really the Alhambra`s. Initially we looked at a building on the New Row but the lease was onerous. The Alhambra offerd to host, at least temporarilly.
The projector was then moved into the theatre where it was tested out and worked well. It`s still there, in the original projection room from the building`s cinema days.
Getting it up there was quite an effort, it`s not a small machine!
It could be used there, or with lots of effort, moved.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 12 Apr 11:34

Alhambra used to be a great cinema back in the day, seemed to be so much bigger than the Regal.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Apr 11:55

The size of the Alhambra may be prohibitive but being able to show films during the day when shows are in the evening could be a good use for the building.

Odeon are 100% at it. I`m pretty sure the Kino cinemas are around half the price. Okay, you don`t necessarily get all the fancy stuff, but an independent shouldn`t really be cheaper than a multinational that has greater negotiation and buying power.

It`s just a shame they ripped the middle out of the Robins cinema.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 12 Apr 12:22

That`s an issue with the Alhambra, just as it is with the Edinburgh Festival Theatre. When do you get 1000 od bums on seats regularly?

Totally, Odeon have no competition around here. Perth to the North, Edinburgh to the South, Falkirk/Stirling to the West and Glenrothes/Leven/St Andrews to the East. That`s a lot of punters. Oden actually have much higher overheads than the likes of Kino, but it`s basically racketeering. Vue can do seats for a fiver!

100% on the old Robins/Orient Express/Cinema House building. I worked there in the early 1990s (Jurassic Park, Cliffhanger, Falling fown era). I was in it recently, there is nothing left of the cinema. Should never have been allowed, FC should be ashamed.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Apr 18:22

Was the unit in the retail park that`s being done up at the moment considered? It`s been sat empty for years but looks like work is happening now they`ve leased the Dreams unit to TK Maxx.

Fife Council probably had their hands tied with Robins as really it could only be used as a cinema and there were no operators interested. I was pretty young at the time but my recollection is the original hope was for a bigger cinema on the co-op site but there was a falling out with the developer and the council ended up buying the land and carrying out the demolition. They still own it but seem obsessed with creating a square.

I`d much prefer a cinema in the centre than the Odeon. Nothing wrong with the Odeon but it`s getting a bit tired now (25 years old?) and the ticket prices are obscene.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 Apr 15:47

Retail units like the one you mention, they come with hefty rental and Fife Council`s astronomical business rates.

You`re right about the old Co-Op site, that would have been ideal. At that point no one was opening town centre cinemas though.
That tide has turned. Look at Everyman, Parkway, Curzon.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ghoulz  
Date:   Fri 21 Apr 00:05

There was a couple of months in 1922 when Dunfermline was served by 5 separate city centre cinemas! ... The Olympia / The Cinema House / The La Scala / The Palace Kinema and The Alhambra offering a total of 5761 seats ... not to mention another 900 in Rosyth!

Your friendly neighbourhood Ghoulz.

The Whole Story of The Famous Kinema Ballroom
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net