DAFC.net
Home 27 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Grand National
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 15 Apr 21:59

Three horses died this year, and distressing videos appearing on social media of the incidents, the event needs to be stopped or heavily reformatted to make it safer.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Grand National
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sat 15 Apr 22:21

Not a dig at you Berry I`ve seen that headline but three horses didn`t die in the National, one horse died Hill Sixteen who came down at the 1st. Two other horses walked into the horse ambulance and were receiving care.
I`m not going to defend this years race as it was as hard a watch as I`ve seen and I`ve been watching racing since I was 5, so for over 40 years now.
What is really frustrating is the garbage spouted on various media regarding Racing and the Grand National about a subject they know little about.

As for the animal rights protests, they have a right to protest but how clueless is it to affect the animal they are trying to protect. The horse that died was the one who was most affected by their antics, this horse has jumped round those fences twice before and never fallen in his life.Yet the delay to the race saw him get wound up and "hyper" according to his trainer, he was the first taken out the paddock when the delay was announced in an attempt to calm him down.He has got himself so wound up he`s charged into the 1st fence and barely taken off. The trainer is under no illusions the delay contributed to the horses fall.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 15 Apr 22:38

No dig taken mate.

I’ve read it was Hill Sixteen during the National however also Dark Raven and Envoye Special that were raced earlier in the weekend event, perhaps should’ve made it clearer.

The two taken to the ambulance were in addition and were Recite a Prayer and Cape Gentleman.

I’m not an avid horse racing watcher but recently enjoyed watching and having a flutter on Cheltenham but the National has just got progressively worse and more difficult to watch.

The Animal Right protests are well intentioned but absolute naivety in how they went about it and have no doubt it played a crucial part in the horses demise.

Doesn’t fully account for the others unfortunately and those in previous years though.

I’m not against horse racing, by all accounts the horses are well bred and taken care of but that race is unnecessarily dangerous and really needs to be looked into, and think it is bound to happen after this weekend.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 15 Apr 23:57

Horse racing in general needs banned. It`s cruel to the horses, and encourages gambling, which is a blight on many sections of society. In the next 20 years it`ll disappear, it`ll go the same way as bullfighting
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 00:03

We should definitely ban horse racing so these horses are not born for their own safety.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 00:54

I`d be surprised if horse racing has stopped in the next 20 years, its the third most watched sport I believe in the uk.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 12:07

“ The horses are up for it, they’re itching to go, they know it’s a race and that’s what they’re here for” says one of the owner toffs.
Oh no they ruddy don’t!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 12:37

Quote:

Topic Originator: Parboiled like
Date: Sun 16 Apr 12:07

“ The horses are up for it, they’re itching to go, they know it’s a race and that’s what they’re here for” says one of the owner toffs.
Oh no they ruddy don’t!

You`ve clearly never worked around horses.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 12:37

Was in the Glen today and loads of ex racing greyhounds being walked (which are really the lucky ones who made it out of racing and found a rescue organisation, as opposed to being euthanised)...

Anyway got me thinking, what happens to race horses when their career ends through injury or age?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 12:49

Quote:

Was in the Glen today and loads of ex racing greyhounds being walked (which are really the lucky ones who made it out of racing and found a rescue organisation, as opposed to being euthanised)...

You probably saw me, the owners are also "the lucky ones" I`ve had to provide less documentation for a mortgage before than I did for my ex-racer.

Quote:

Anyway got me thinking, what happens to race horses when their career ends through injury or age?

Age tends to be seed or pasture, injury is a bit different for any equine, not just racehorses. The emotional toll on a horse facing a lengthy recovery sadly means getting put down is the only option.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 14:12

Horse racing, in all its forms has never interested me, apart from a few very rare small bets in my younger existence.

However, it`s a fair sized economic industry (for want of a better term) and employs a decent number of people across the spectrum involved.

Banning it would be unrealistic, never going to happen - but it could be made significantly safer I reckon,

The GN is just over 4 miles long - that`s a helluva distance to expect a beast to run and jump with a rider.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 17:11

No I’ve never worked around horses. But if they’re that bright why do they need someone sitting on them to tell them what where and when?
I read somewhere they just gallop like crazy because of herd instinct, running away from danger.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 16 Apr 18:27

Well done on the people who saved the greyhounds. They`re not a popular rescue choice and they`ve often had a challenging life. Unfortunately, few people have the space to take on an ex-racing horse.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Mon 17 Apr 15:30

The idea of whipping and striking an animal in an attempt to win some kind of competition I find barbaric.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Mon 17 Apr 18:28

Me too EET.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 18 Apr 15:47

I like going to the races and have no doubt the horses are well looked after. However, the grand national can be really tough viewing - case in point this year where the two stray horses went flying through the rails at one of the fences and then another decided against jumping a fence, impeded another and its jockey ended up flying over the fence himself.

Also, the trainer of Hill Sixteen isn`t doing his own argument any favours. If the horse he trained was so wound up because of the delay and couldn`t be calmed then he had the option of withdrawing it. He didn`t, sent him out hoping for the best and suffered a fatal injury 30 seconds after.

Was the decision to run the horse made in the horse`s best interests?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 18 Apr 18:02

Good Post DA-go

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 19 Apr 07:29

Aye you can`t argue with much of that especially the point on withdrawing the horse
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net