DAFC.net
Home 25 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Car Insurance Tip
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 30 Apr 06:29

I thought I`d share this with my fellow Pars fans.

Mrs Riva and I share a car as we`re both retired and only use it sparingly. I retired first so I put her down as the main driver, which resulted in a significant saving on our annual premium. It`s been quite steady during these last 10 years but our renewal letter for the next 12 months contained a hefty hike. (I couldn`t decide if it was the fault of the energy crisis, the war in Ukraine or Brexit.)

I went on the website of the same insurance company we`ve used for about 30 years and completed an application form for us with me as the main driver. Well, whadda you know? It`s £100 cheaper than the quote in the letter...... 🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Car Insurance Tip
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 30 Apr 09:24

Just to check something GG. My wife and I take year about being the main driver on the car insurance. The reason for this is that we both had a full no claims history but that only continues if you have a recent history of having a policy. If you haven`t had an insurance policy for more than two years your no claims goes back to zero.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Roger Daltrey  
Date:   Sun 30 Apr 10:39

If you keep using the same insurance company year on year, they`ll almost certainly try to sneak your prices up while discounting new business/customers.

If you don`t shop around at least every couple of years, they will just take advantage of the repeat business/loyalty.

I`d have thought the price difference was less about who was the main driver and more about the new vs. renewal quotes process.

Call them and say you`ve found a cheaper price online with another company and they`ll almost certainly try to reduce the renewal quote.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 30 Apr 12:14

Never ever accept their renewal quote. I called my insurer to tell them to cancel my renewal. Lo and behold they were able to drop the price by £86 as I was a "loyal customer". I`d been with them a year and was calling to cancel but I`m "loyal" 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sun 30 Apr 14:14

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 30 Apr 09:24

Just to check something GG. My wife and I take year about being the main driver on the car insurance. The reason for this is that we both had a full no claims history but that only continues if you have a recent history of having a policy. If you haven`t had an insurance policy for more than two years your no claims goes back to zero.

Yes but if you are a named driver on a policy with no claims most insurance companies will give you no claims bonus.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 30 Apr 19:23

Quote:

jake89, Sun 30 Apr 12:14

Never ever accept their renewal quote. I called my insurer to tell them to cancel my renewal. Lo and behold they were able to drop the price by £86 as I was a "loyal customer". I`d been with them a year and was calling to cancel but I`m "loyal" 😂

That`s exactly the same amount to the penny that they knocked off mine. Was it admiral?

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 30 Apr 21:32

Any time you get a renewal quote for any insurance, phone up and say it’s too expensive. You’ll get money off for the price of a phone call

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 1 May 21:35

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Sun 30 Apr 19:23

Quote:

jake89, Sun 30 Apr 12:14

That`s exactly the same amount to the penny that they knocked off mine. Was it admiral?

Hastings but they`re all owned by a small number of parent companies.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 1 May 21:51

Used Hastings since 2018 and always phone up to challenge my renewal and have always been given a significantly lower quote.
This year £78 off renewal.
Last year £89.
Year before £112.
I thought everyone done this lol

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 3 May 13:43

Hastings are not an insurance company per say. They are an intermediary. Their car insurance is underwritten by Advantage Insurance Ltd who are based in Gibraltar.

I would advise everyone to check who underwrites their insurance. A lot of well known names can be underwritten by offshore companies you will never have heard of
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net