DAFC.net
Home 19 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 I could use some help
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 28 May 01:47

Some of you will be aware, through my posts on the "Surgeons: at the edge of life" thread a few months ago, that I had to drop everything and fly to Canada due to my son being in intensive care.

Graeme was a very fit and healthy martial arts and fitness instructor. He got a cancer tumour on his lung which was removed with half of his left lung in January.
Unfortunately he suffered a pulmonary embolism and went into cardiac arrest. He actually died four times and was resuscitated for around twenty minutes.

When we arrived at the hospital in Vancouver he was in a coma. We had a family meeting where we were told there was less than 10% chance of him surviving a week, and if he did it would be in palliative care. The added that they are not in the business of sustaining that quality of existance and we should consider the humane option.

So we prayed.

4 months on, following a battle with the general hospital, Graeme is undergoing extensive rehab at GF Strong in Vancouver. He is learning to walk and talk again. His mind is fully intact but he has apraxia and there is a long way to go with his recovery.

My family and some friends have supported us over the past 4 months but nobody has bottomless pockets so we are planning some fundraising activities including Just Giving.
I am currently still employed by Amazon but I am on statutory sick pay and that may not last much longer.
I have decided to sell my house and contents plus my car, but that will take time.

There is no easy way for a man my age to get a short work permit here but I am looking at options.
If anyone would like to help, here is the just giving link.
Im open to any helpful suggestions for fundraising too.

Thanks all.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/care4graeme?utm_id=108

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: I could use some help
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 28 May 06:39

That`s awful PARot, so sorry to read that.

I had a double PE about ten years ago (both lungs) when i was in my twenties and, at the time at least, was none the wiser and no idea how serious it was.

Terrible situation for you & family, hope everything works out.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 28 May 08:20

What a nightmare you and your family have been living through, pal. I didn`t see your post about surgeons on the edge of life, so that`s quite a shock.

I`d like to help. See the just giving link you`ve posted. Do they not take a good whack of that before you see it? Would you not be better posting your bank account details so that anyone wanting to make a donation could transfer it directly? I`m sure everyone would rather all monies went to you.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 08:24

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Sun 28 May 06:39

That`s awful PARot, so sorry to read that.

I had a double PE about ten years ago (both lungs) when i was in my twenties and, at the time at least, was none the wiser and no idea how serious it was.

Terrible situation for you & family, hope everything works out.

That must have been a scary time for your family too, TAFKA. I hope you`ve made a full recovery. Like most folk, I know very little about medical issues unless they affect me or someone close to me.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 08:44

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 28 May 08:20

What a nightmare you and your family have been living through, pal. I didn`t see your post about surgeons on the edge of life, so that`s quite a shock.

I`d like to help. See the just giving link you`ve posted. Do they not take a good whack of that before you see it? Would you not be better posting your bank account details so that anyone wanting to make a donation could transfer it directly? I`m sure everyone would rather all monies went to you.

I don’t know what they charge GG. My daughter set it up. Im sure it isnt free. I think in the past they encouraged folk to tick a box to include gift aid. The tax break paid the fees if I remember right.

It isn`t easy asking for this kind of help but to be honest I`m well past worrying about pride. I need to be here with him. So.... 800655 00209017 BoS. Graeme Campbell.
I attend all his therapy sessions and I`m learning how to continue his rehab at home.

TAFKA, You are a lucky man. This could easily have been you. I am sure you count your blessings.
It is quite incredible how a life / lives can so suddenly and dramatically change. We need to all treat each other better. We never know when our last words will be our last words. Life is too short and precious to spend any of it in avoidable conflict.

Here endeth the lesson Lol.

Post Edited (Sun 28 May 08:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 28 May 08:58

Worth contacting the Press. They`re pretty decent at reporting on this sort of stuff.

I know you`re not in the country, but get whoever is selling your car to do it privately rather than via one of these ones that`ll give you a price online. You might have to deal with some tyre kickers but you`ll get a much better price.

A local estate agent may be able to cut you a deal too (they can`t do free as some of their fees are linked to fees they have to pay to others).

Edited to add: GoFundMe don't charge fees. They'll ask if you'd like to pay a bit more as a donation to them. This is voluntary.

Post Edited (Sun 28 May 09:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 28 May 11:33

Saddened to hear of this.

I`m sure we`d all like to help.

Email sent, please reply at you convenience.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 May 17:36

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 28 May 11:33

Thanks Vee. I responded.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 28 May 18:30

Quote:

jake89, Sun 28 May 08:58

Worth contacting the Press. They`re pretty decent at reporting on this sort of stuff.

I know you`re not in the country, but get whoever is selling your car to do it privately rather than via one of these ones that`ll give you a price online. You might have to deal with some tyre kickers but you`ll get a much better price.

A local estate agent may be able to cut you a deal too (they can`t do free as some of their fees are linked to fees they have to pay to others).

Edited to add: GoFundMe don`t charge fees. They`ll ask if you`d like to pay a bit more as a donation to them. This is voluntary.

Thanks for all this Jake.
My family are taking care of it all on my behalf.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 28 May 19:38

Yes, in my case it was a DVT clot in my calf after a flight home from Egypt. Broke off and travelled round my system and ended up in my lung(s).

Felt absolutely fine but maybe 3 or 4 days later my mother in law commented on my lips looking blue and wouldn`t give me peace untill i got checked out.

As soon as i phoned NHS24 and the sore leg & long haul flight was mentioned i was rushed into Southern General and pretty much told in no uncertain terms that if i had not acted on my MIL`s instinct i likely wouldn`t have woken up the next day.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 29 May 08:43

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 28 May 17:36

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 28 May 11:33

Thanks Vee. I responded.

It went to spam.

I have replied to your alternative email address.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 1 Jun 10:00

Hi Graeme popped up to my bank and transferred some cash into your account.

With every best wish to your son and all the family.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 1 Jun 15:13

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 1 Jun 10:00

Hi Graeme popped up to my bank and transferred some cash into your account.

With every best wish to your son and all the family.

Much appreciated GG.
Thanks to everyone who has helped.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net