DAFC.net
Home 20 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Insurance Claim
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 15:59

Some idiots in Glasgow must have been bored last week for they panned in some shop windows and then smashed the windscreen of my son`s car. There are also some scratches on one of the doors. His insurance has advised him that the car is not economical to repair and have therefore offered him the average price for a car of that make, model, age and mileage - minus the £400 excess, giving him just over £7k.

The car is mechanically sound and he can`t quite believe it would cost that much to repair, but what other choice does he have?

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Thu 29 Jun 16:00)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Insurance Claim
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 16:42

GG you would need to check some of the buy cars websites to get an idea of what its worth .. I cannot see where a new windscreen and a door respray would be uneconomical ?? The last door respray plus fixing a slack mirror cost me £250

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 16:59

Are they offering him a settlement and allowing him to keep the car?

If they are then he could repair it and keep it for himself or sell it on (declaring it`s a repaired write off)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 17:14

Quote:

jake89, Thu 29 Jun 16:59

Are they offering him a settlement and allowing him to keep the car?

If they are then he could repair it and keep it for himself or sell it on (declaring it`s a repaired write off)

The way the email is worded, it`s a cash settlement only. I didn`t realise a lower sum + cash is an option. Does that depend on the Insurance company?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 17:16

Quote:

Buspasspar, Thu 29 Jun 16:42

GG you would need to check some of the buy cars websites to get an idea of what its worth .. I cannot see where a new windscreen and a door respray would be uneconomical ?? The last door respray plus fixing a slack mirror cost me £250

My lad`s been on AutoTrader and says that`s the kind of money cars like his are on sale for.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mr Mac  
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 17:19

Parts supply seems to be badly affected by the impact of Covid (still) and Brexit doesn`t help either; I`ve heard a few cases where the hire car costs are far greater than repair costs.

If your son does as to keep and repair themselves make sure parts are available!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 29 Jun 18:33

Insurance company will technically own the car and if the damage is a minor as it sounds it will be auctioned off, repaired and re-sold as a Category D by someone who has the time and resources to invest getting it back on the road

Quite a lucrative gig these days especially how bad the new car market still is post covid.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 00:43

Does a write off screw his insurance premium next renewal more than getting it repaired?

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 06:25

Quote:

Berkey, Sat 1 Jul 00:43

Does a write off screw his insurance premium next renewal more than getting it repaired?

That depends on whether your no claims bonus is protected or not. Mine is, which means I pay a slightly higher premium and can have up to a maximum of 2 claims in a calendar year without losing my no claims bonus. It`s worth paying because I get the maximum discount. (9 years+) Remember it`s a no claims bonus, not a "no blames" one.

Thanks to everyone who replied with helpful advice. My son is minded to take the money and buy a newer car. It takes all the hassle out of getting the car repaired etc.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 08:10

I also protect my no claims bonus but I do wonder about that as even with the a no claims period under your belt you will still be asked if you have made a claim in an X number of previous years. So you could have the nine plus years no claims protected but will still have to disclose ,for example, that three years ago you did in fact make a claim. I`m sure that gets taken into account by the insurer when calculating your quote.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sat 1 Jul 18:04

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 1 Jul 08:10

I also protect my no claims bonus but I do wonder about that as even with the a no claims period under your belt you will still be asked if you have made a claim in an X number of previous years. So you could have the nine plus years no claims protected but will still have to disclose ,for example, that three years ago you did in fact make a claim. I`m sure that gets taken into account by the insurer when calculating your quote.

It will get taken into account by any new insurer and could affect the starting price of any insurance. Your current insurer will however give your new insurer proof of bonus at your 9 years.

It`s actually a good way for insurers to keep you loyal since they staying premium of a new insurer will probably be higher when the take into account your claim
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net