DAFC.net
Home 25 June 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Food for thought
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 22 Sep 19:39

A recent study found the following obesity levels:

USA: 36.2 (although another study puts it at 37.7)
UK: 27.8
Mexico: 28.9
Canada: 29.4
Ireland: 25.3
France: 21.6
Spain: 23.8
Italy: 19.9
Germany: 22.3
Japan: 4.3
World average: 13

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Sun 24 Sep 12:22)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Food for thought
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sat 23 Sep 08:28

It`s really frustrating how you`ve not posted them in some kind of numerical order, ascending or descending. Come on man.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sat 23 Sep 09:29

Im surprised the UKs is so low, when you consider the BMI calculators levels of inaccuracy.

Im a 34 year old, 6 foot, male that weighs 14 1/2 stone and classed as overweight, verging on obese, when theres only a limited % of fat on my body (mainly round my hips and belly). I think for my stats (age,height etc) Im meant to be 11 stone something to be optimal weight……

I don’t look obese or overweight either. I look the right size for the stats. Always wary of these things 😂

To get a real perspective of it you would need to do full BMIs/fat checks/scans of everyone in the country, then probably rewrite the script for the calculators to be more accurate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 23 Sep 11:14

You soond just fine Dave_1885 😍

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Sat 23 Sep 12:03

Who ate some of the pies? Who ate some of the pies?

You slightly overweight b——-, you slightly overweight b———

Dave ate some of the pies.

Post Edited (Sat 23 Sep 15:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Sep 12:18

Quote:

EastEndTales, Sat 23 Sept 08:28

It`s really frustrating how you`ve not posted them in some kind of numerical order, ascending or descending. Come on man.

I posted them they way they appeared on my news feed, mate. Feel free to rearrange them yourself. 😀

BTW, you`re considered obese if your BMI is 30+. A better definition of obesity is that you`re overweight to such an extent that you`re compromising your health and life span.

Eta. Are you Betty and Jack's grandson, Dave1885?

Post Edited (Sun 24 Sep 12:22)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Sep 13:40

Quote:

Tad Allagash, Sat 23 Sep 12:03

Who ate some of the pies? Who ate some of the pies?

You slightly overweight b——-, you slightly overweight b———

Dave ate some of the the pies.

I will be eating one at 2:50 today Tad :D

Nope GG, that wouldnt be me!

I just think its crazy the way they judge these things (which hasnt changed in 17 years since I was at college btw), then you get the new “body positivity” that actually PROMOTES obese bodies as “healthy and glowing”…..its mental to me!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 23 Sep 18:15

I don’t think it’s about promoting obesity; imo it’s about accepting people as they are.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 23 Sep 19:20

Quote:

buffy, Sat 23 Sep 18:15

I don’t think it’s about promoting obesity; imo it’s about accepting people as they are.

I agree theres a way to accept how some people wish to live, and that obesity is not always something that can be caused by physicality (metabolisms, medical issues etc) BUT there are some campaigns that do promote unhealthy body types as being a good thing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 23 Sep 19:50

Quote:

Dave_1885, Sat 23 Sep 09:29

Im surprised the UKs is so low, when you consider the BMI calculators levels of inaccuracy.

Im a 34 year old, 6 foot, male that weighs 14 1/2 stone and classed as overweight, verging on obese, when theres only a limited % of fat on my body (mainly round my hips and belly). I think for my stats (age,height etc) Im meant to be 11 stone something to be optimal weight……

I don’t look obese or overweight either. I look the right size for the stats. Always wary of these things 😂

To get a real perspective of it you would need to do full BMIs/fat checks/scans of everyone in the country, then probably rewrite the script for the calculators to be more accurate.

I don`t know where you got your figures from but im a 61 year old 5 fit 8.5 male and I`m informed that I should be 11.5 stone.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sat 23 Sep 22:25

Adolphe Quetelet, a Belgian astronomer, mathematician, statistician, and sociologist (notice the lack of any medical credentials), devised the basis of the BMI between 1830 and 1850 as he developed what he called "social physics". Quetelet himself never intended for the index, then called the Quetelet Index, to be used as a means of medical assessment.

Using BMI as a guide almost every rugby player in the world would be classed as obese or clinically obese.

BMI is not and should never be considered a medical measurement.
It`s a pity that it`s been hijacked as such.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Sep 22:52

Quote:

PARrot, Sat 23 Sep 19:50

Quote:

Dave_1885, Sat 23 Sep 09:29

I don`t know where you got your figures from but im a 61 year old 5 fit 8.5 male and I`m informed that I should be 11.5 stone.

Going on the NHS BMI calculator, Id need to drop at least 10 kg to even be in the top range of a “healthy” body weight. Its a really bad way of doing it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Sep 12:37

I don`t know why I quoted BMI as a %age in the OP units are actually kg/m2. I wholeheartedly agree with Dave 1885 that this is a somewhat random and unreliable measurement as an indicator of obesity.

Of course, people who are on the beefy side are going to take some comfort in that. In my humble one, a more reliable method would be to undress down to your birthday suit and look at yourself critically in the mirror. If there are things you should be able to see when you look down but can`t because your gut is blocking your view, you perhaps need to reassess if you think you`re fine. 😞

I remember a Scottish journalist jocularly claiming, "I`m not overweight, it`s just that for my weight I should be 7ft 3. 😁

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Sep 12:46

There’s a great book called “Scale” by Geoffrey West that includes an explanation of the fundamental flaw of BMI as a health metric.

The definition of BMI is your weight (in kg) divided by your height (in metres) squared.

But as we exist in 3 dimensions, it would make more sense to be your weight divided by your height cubed.

The result is that BMI will overdiagnose tall people as overweight. For example, basketball player Lebron James is overweight according to BMI.

Post Edited (Sun 24 Sep 14:50)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 24 Sep 16:05

But athletes have always had measures… It’s a rule of thumb for’ normal people’
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 26 Sep 17:42

Quote:

DBP, Sun 24 Sep 16:05

It`s not a rule of anything. It`s a random calculation invented by a guy with no medical testing
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 26 Sep 17:46

It`s a nonsense measure tbh. They use it in school and identified my youngest as overweight. He`s a scrawny wee thing so no idea how they came up with it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Sep 22:55

Waist measurement is probably a better predictor of health outcomes than BMI.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 27 Sep 11:16

I know the Pars have a sports scientist who regularly checks the players` weights. Any player who comes in as overweight may be asked to reduce his calorie intake and/or be given extra training.

I`m sure each player`s ideal weight will have been worked out with scientific precision. I very much doubt that BMI is considered - I`ll try to find out. In years gone by, athletes used to have "pinch tests" to calculate their body fat as a percentage of their total mass. I don`t know if this practice is still in use.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Wed 27 Sep 13:10

"If you can pinch an inch", as they used to say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 27 Sep 13:58

Quote:

moviescot, Tue 26 Sep 17:42

Quote:

DBP, Sun 24 Sep 16:05

It`s not a rule of anything. It`s a random calculation invented by a guy with no medical testing

It isn’t a fact hunt that came up with that calculation, is it?

Ok so the old ones are the worst….
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 29 Sep 03:47

I am fat. Far too fat. I don`t need a chart or any formulae to tell me I should lose at least 3 stone.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net