DAFC.net
Home 25 June 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Sycamore
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 29 Sep 09:57

What on earth would possess anyone to go out with a chainsaw in the middle of the night to cut down a beautiful, 300 year old tree?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66957589

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Sycamore
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 29 Sep 11:46

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 29 Sept 09:57

What on earth would possess anyone to go out with a chainsaw in the middle of the night to cut down a beautiful, 300 year old tree?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66957589

HS2 going that way?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 29 Sep 12:25

Chop down one tree in Northumberland and it`s national outrage. Chop down a million in the Amazon and it barely works up a shrug of the shoulders.
Be interesting to see the motivation behind what led to this youth doing this. He went to a lot of effort for to commit this vandalism.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 29 Sep 12:37

Total bewilderment here

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 29 Sep 13:49

Rumours on X of
1/ a wind farm application nearby and the tree was “in the way” and also
2/ that he had recently been sacked by the National Trust and filmed the felling for his Snapchat account.

Beautiful tree, I’ve sat under it when walking Hadrian’s Wall a good few years ago.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”

Post Edited (Fri 29 Sep 16:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 29 Sep 14:02

I was fairly sad to read of this. I`ve never been there but it looked beautiful and I can imagine how it must have meant a lot to many people.

I`d imagine that there would be more to it than a piece of mindless vandalism. For one thing, it looked a big, thick trunk, I`m sure it would have taken a fair bit of skill with a chainsaw to bring it down safely.

How often do we see things like buildings on sites awaiting planning permission going on fire, at the hands of teenagers, possibly coaxed into doing it by unscrupulous developers
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 29 Sep 15:03

Two of my Friends have their own tree business .. Ive worked with them and watched them .. To cut a tree down as neat as the pictures show takes a great amount of skill and knowledge .. I don`t think thats any 16 with a chainsaw .. from his dads shed .. It would have to be a large commercial chain saw to do that to a tree of that size It also has to be cut both sides and wedges driven in to get it to fall the correct way and not on top of you .. Buffy`s post saddens me if true time will tell

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net