DAFC.net
Home 09 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Take the Gravy Train
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 24 Nov 08:39

Our new Chief Constable, on finding her train from Waverley to her Northumberland home cancelled, commandeers a cop car to take her instead…
Couldn’t she have perhaps organised a taxi share with her fellow traveller, also a senior cop? Not sure what what the total income is but she’s on £249,000!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Take the Gravy Train
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 24 Nov 14:32

Using a work asset for personal purposes - isn`t that a sackable offence? The least she could have done was reimburse the taxpayer for the private expense.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 08:32

You couldn’t make it up…her co passenger was up here as an adviser on police finance and efficient use of resources!
As for the Heid Copper, the old saying “the higher you climb the harder you fall” obviously doesn’t apply in the upper ranks of Scot Gov and its agencies!

Post Edited (Sat 25 Nov 08:43)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 10:20

I didn`t realise Police Scotland was an `agency` of the Scottish Government. In that case, could they not tell them to call off the investigation into the SNP`s finances? It must be costing the taxpayer an awful lot of money.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 10:25

Should never have appointed a candidate from outwith Scotland, there are presumably plenty of suitably qualified and experienced officers north of Hadrian’s Wall.

That aside, residency up here should be a standard condition of service, presumably she’ll be moving to Scotland soon ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 10:43

Would it not be discriminatory to exclude candidates from outside Scotland? I would certainly hope so. Imagine the outrage if Scottish candidates couldn`t apply for jobs in England.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 11:17

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 25 Nov 10:20

I didn`t realise Police Scotland was an `agency` of the Scottish Government. In that case, could they not tell them to call off the investigation into the SNP`s finances? It must be costing the taxpayer an awful lot of money.

The Scottish Police Authority is a Scottish Government agency. Police Scotland sits beneath the SPA.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 11:32

That doesn`t mean the Scottish Government has any influence over Police Scotland`s conduct which seemed to be what Parboiled was implying.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 16:35

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 25 Nov 10:25

Should never have appointed a candidate from outwith Scotland, there are presumably plenty of suitably qualified and experienced officers north of Hadrian’s Wall.

That aside, residency up here should be a standard condition of service, presumably she’ll be moving to Scotland soon ?

She’s maybe waiting on her predecessor moving out of the house at Tulliallan.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 17:02

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 25 Nov 10:43

Would it not be discriminatory to exclude candidates from outside Scotland? I would certainly hope so. Imagine the outrage if Scottish candidates couldn`t apply for jobs in England.

That was tongue in cheek - yes, it would be discriminatory to prevent such applications.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 20:08

Does the fact that she lives south of the border mean she pays less income tax than if she resided in Scotland?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 20:13

Sorry, but a Scottish CC should absolutely reside in Scotland. I wouldn`t apply for a job in Manchester living in Dundee
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 20:34

When you label your colleagues and underlings racists dont expect them not to throw you under the bus at every opportunity.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 21:27

David McNee worked his way up from an officer on the beat in Glasgow to Chief Constable of Strathclyde and was appointed Head of the Met in 1977.
He was nicknamed “The Hammer”, perhaps because he nailed a lot of baddies..

Anyway, just shows that cross border cop head hunting is nothing new.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 22:30

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 25 Nov 20:08

Does the fact that she lives south of the border mean she pays less income tax than if she resided in Scotland?

Id imagine they would pay Scottish tax as its a Scottish business that would be paying them. They’d pay English Council Tax rates though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 22:34

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 25 Nov 20:08

No, she`s paid in Scotland at Scottish rates.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 22:38

Quote:

Andrew283, Sat 25 Nov 20:13

Sorry, but a Scottish CC should absolutely reside in Scotland. I wouldn`t apply for a job in Manchester living in Dundee

I used to work with a guy who commuted to Edinburgh from Hartlepool. Thought he was insane but he loved Hartlepool and didn`t want to move. N.East England has a poor jobs market so it`s not unusual for them to head up here.

In the case of the CO, I`d assume she`ll already have a place up here. She`s probably got a flat in Edinburgh and goes back to Durham on the weekends.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 18:59

Loads of folk travel to work during the week. I worked in London for 3 years when living in dalgety bay, and used to see the same folk travelling down on Monday and back on Thursday or Friday every week…

Anyway I’m interested in the tax thing. I live in Scotland and pay Scottish taxes, but work for a company based in England (well the uk but is anyway), with an English HR and payroll department… so do you pay the tax off where you live, or where you work?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 19:15

According to gov.uk you pay Scottish income tax if you live in Scotland. Your tax code should have the prefix `S` which tells your employer that Scottish tax applies.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 19:16

Quote:

DBP, Sun 26 Nov 18:59

Loads of folk travel to work during the week. I worked in London for 3 years when living in dalgety bay, and used to see the same folk travelling down on Monday and back on Thursday or Friday every week…

Anyway I’m interested in the tax thing. I live in Scotland and pay Scottish taxes, but work for a company based in England (well the uk but is anyway), with an English HR and payroll department… so do you pay the tax off where you live, or where you work?

I`m the same. It`s where you live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 19:26

Also applies if you spend a lot of your time in Scotland for work e.g. staying in a hotel/apartment here during the week and home at the weekend.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 22:11

What if you work offshore but live outwith Scotland?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 22:22

It is where you live that is relevant. Resident in England you pay that rate regardless if you work in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 22:45

So this chief constable is paying a lower rate of tax than someone on her salary who lives in Scotland.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 23:46

Or could have a residence in Scotland that she uses for work and taxes 🤷🏻‍♂️ who knows?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 07:42

Quote:

arpar, Sun 26 Nov 22:22

It is where you live that is relevant. Resident in England you pay that rate regardless if you work in Scotland.

Nope. If you are regularly in Scotland for work, you pay in Scotland. Applies to offshore workers and those staying in apartments up here during the week.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 10:53

Topic Originator: wee eck
Date: Sat 25 Nov 10:43

What, like the outrage that bans MP’s from Scotland becoming PM?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 11:19

You`ll have to explain that to me. If the Tories voted Douglas Ross leader of their party wouldn`t he become the UK PM?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 12:01

Eh?
Gordon Brown was PM, Scottish MPs have held every senior Cabinet post over the years have they not?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 12:08

Anyway back on topic…this woman will as part of her remit be signing off disciplinary sanctions on her staff.
Not a good look to have this misdemeanour on her own record!
And she obviously has a clipe to worry about…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 14:09

Topic Originator: Parboiled like
Date: Mon 27 Nov 12:01

Eh?
Gordon Brown was PM, Scottish MPs have held every senior Cabinet post over the years have they not?

That was before EVEL…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 17:22

Quote:

desparado, Mon 27 Nov 14:09

Topic Originator: Parboiled like
Date: Mon 27 Nov 12:01

Eh?

That was before EVEL…

But you can still be a Scottish MP and PM.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 17:36

A Scottish MP representing an English constituency yes. But having a sitting PM ( representing a Scottish constituency) who is unable to vote on English only issues is hardly ever likely to happen…anyway, semantics….

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 18:52

I don`t see why this is so confusing. If Ian Murray was leader of the Labour Party he would be PM if they were elected at the next Westminster election. It doesn`t matter if an MP is representing an English, Scottish, Welsh or N.Irish constituency. All the leaders just happen to be in English constituencies as far as I`m aware.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 23:01

Quote:

Parboiled, Mon 27 Nov 12:08

Anyway back on topic…this woman will as part of her remit be signing off disciplinary sanctions on her staff.
Not a good look to have this misdemeanour on her own record!
And she obviously has a clipe to worry about…

Still not sure how using a company car is a misdemeanour 🤔
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Nov 09:28

Wasn’t it a road traffic vehicle that was absent from its routine operational duties while diverted to taxi role ?

Not a company staff car.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 Nov 12:30

She actually does have a car and driver at her disposal, goes with the job. The day job.
Anyway, this driver had assumed he was done for the day when she headed off for a train. But using that car for a cross border off duty trip would surely not have been appropriate either?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Dec 20:55

Quote:

jake89, Mon 27 Nov 07:42

Quote:

arpar, Sun 26 Nov 22:22

Nope. If you are regularly in Scotland for work, you pay in Scotland. Applies to offshore workers and those staying in apartments up here during the week.

Not true. It is based on your main residence. www.gov.uk/scottish-income-tax/who-paysClick here

Post Edited (Fri 01 Dec 20:56)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Dec 09:22

Main residence = the one you live in the most. So if you come up during the working week and go back at the weekend.

There are exceptions if it's a family home but it needs evidenced. Being honest, I suspect anyone involved in the police will err on the side of caution.

Post Edited (Sat 02 Dec 09:24)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Dec 12:49

Your main home may be the home where you spend less time if that’s where:

most of your possessions are

your family lives, if you’re married or in a civil partnership

you’re registered for things like your bank account, GP or car insurance

you’re a member of clubs or societies

This might apply to you if you live away because of your work, for example you’re a lorry driver, an offshore worker or in the armed forces.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net