DAFC.net
Home 09 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 R.I.P. Lester
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 27 Dec 19:38

Unfortunately I heard today that my old colleague Lester Leitch passed away. On Christmas day.

You may know Lester from the Carnegie baths. He was there before the 1979-1982 renovations. He probably brought down some of your clothes baskets when you didnt get out when your time was up.

Lester didn`t have an easy life but he made the most of it. Plagued by illness through kidney failure he had several transplants.
He would get to a point where he could hardly see, then he would get a transplant and win gold medals for running and swimming in the transplant games.

I benefitted a lot from his wisdom at work. Always encouraging and never a bad word to say about anyone.

He never complained about his illness and rarely missed a day at work.
He will be missed, but he has earned his rest and his new body.
Im sure if there are Olympics in heaven he will be in training.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: R.I.P. Lester
Topic Originator: Bouncer  
Date:   Thu 28 Dec 02:45

I remember him giving out the prizes at a 5 a side tournament I played in about 45 years ago.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SusieQ  
Date:   Thu 28 Dec 07:23

Sad news Graeme. Always remember him giving me random tasks when I started at Carnegie, claiming he had "to keep (me) on (my) toes!"

Never said or done with malice, but a twinkle in his eye!

RIP Lester 🫶

COME ON YE PARS!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 28 Dec 07:34

So sad to hear this. Lester was a classmate and a good friend to me in both primary and secondary school. We went to many Pars games together both home and away, even when the club went through a very poor time in the 70s and early 80s.

As Parrot says, Lester was a true gent and not one for self-pity. He always made light of his illness and played badminton and 5 a side football as a young man, before setting up and managing Burgh Royal, a Rosyth based team in the Dunfermline & District Sunday League. We lost touch for a number of years after I was married and it was quite a surprise when he walked into the changing rooms of Kinross HS at the end of the Loch Leven half marathon. That was the only time I heard him swear when he learned that I had finished 4 mins in front of him in a time of 96 mins. Tbh, his time in his condition was a far greater achievement than mine, but he didn`t see it that way.

Lester`s knowledge of football was encyclopaedic, as was his knowledge of horse racing. He introduced me to World Soccer, a monthly magazine, to which I subscribed for almost 50 years and to Ladbroke`s, to whom I lost a good bit of money for about 6 years in the 70s.

RIP Lester.

Eta. Graeme, please post the funeral arrangements once you know them.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Thu 28 Dec 21:09)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Dec 19:47

Will do.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jan 15:40

Hi GG Lester`s funeral is on Monday 15th January at 10 am at St. Margaret Church then the cemetery at 11.15 am.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 4 Jan 16:33

Quote:

PARrot, Thu 4 Jan 15:40

Hi GG Lester`s funeral is on Monday 15th January at 10 am at St. Margaret Church then the cemetery at 11.15 am.

Cheers, Graeme. I`ll let our school mates know.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net