DAFC.net
Home 27 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 My First School
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 07:48

My family emigrated to Scotland in 1960 and I was enrolled at Aberdour PS. It was situated on the bend between the village`s High St and Main St, next to the railway line. I vividly remember standing on the bridge, marvelling at the giant puffs of steam as the locomotives passed underneath, but I can`t picture what my first school looked like and I can`t find it on T`internet. It was knocked down and turned into a little garden when a new school was built near the Silver Sands in 1967. does anyone have a pic or link to the original building?

Nostalgia ain`t what it used to be, huh? 🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: My First School
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 09:08

G G Was it the one for boys with behavioural problems ? Hillside I think it was called :-o))

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 09:17

You clearly were into Thomas the Tank Engine GG !!!

Is there a local history interest group on Facebook - there is a fairly active one here ?

Post Edited (Fri 12 Jan 09:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 12:25

Quote:

Buspasspar, Fri 12 Jan 09:08

G G Was it the one for boys with behavioural problems ? Hillside I think it was called :-o))

You`re a bit old to be a cheeky pup, BPP. 😜

That school is still there, I think. It used to be St John Bosco`s back then, but was closed down after some pretty serious allegations were made about the Salesian Fathers who ran it. Some things never change.....

How come a Clackmannan boy knows about such a school? It wasn`t exactly on your doorstep? Hmm. 🤔

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 12:33

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 12 Jan 09:17

You clearly were into Thomas the Tank Engine GG !!!

Is there a local history interest group on Facebook - there is a fairly active one here ?

Aye, I was completely fascinated by the steam engines back then and just round the corner from the school there was a toy shop in the High St. It had an extensive rail network in the window and a couple of trains (Triang Hornby?) constantly going around it.

Many a lunch hour did this wee boy stand there with his nose pressed against the glass, knowing full well he could never possess these magical trains, because his parents were too poor and their priorities were for life`s essentials.... 😒

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 12:38

GG Think this could be your school .. I am not on face book so don`t know if this link works

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?

Post Edited (Fri 12 Jan 12:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 14:24

Went out with a few girls that were formerly Aberdour Primary after they enlisted at Woodmill Junior High!🤔😲👹🙈😜
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 14:26

GG Check your EEB messages

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 16:51

Was it bombed in the war, GG?

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 16:54

Quote:

buffy, Fri 12 Jan 16:51

You are definitely a cheeky pup! 😜 Either that or history wasn`t your best subject. I went to Aberdour PS from 1960-63. It definitely wisnae a pile o` rubble. 😀

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 16:58

Quote:

Buspasspar, Fri 12 Jan 14:26

GG Check your EEB messages

Cheers BPP. I`ve just done that and I thought the big hoose was the school. Now I realise the big hoose was... a big hoose. 😆

After enlarging the pic, I`ve realised the "church" I had no recollection of was in fact the school. 🤣😂🤣

Auld age disnae come itsel......

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 17:01

😂
Is it no aboot time we had another dotnet gathering, especially afore some o ye pop yer clogs

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 18:06

Quote:

buffy, Fri 12 Jan 17:01

😂
Is it no aboot time we had another dotnet gathering, especially afore some o ye pop yer clogs

I could easily fall out with some folk on here. 😠

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 18:06

Ye could be right buffy .. I have managed to send GG a picture of New Aberdour in Aberdeenshire :-o)) .. He`s right auld age disnae come itsel

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 18:11

Topic Originator: buffy like
Date: Fri 12 Jan 16:51

Now that made me laugh buffy .. I think it was GG that did it as he didnae have his homework

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 18:24

I know ye 🥰 me really, GG
Big hugs the morra

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 18:39

GG Riva did well to master the English language within a year since there were three distinct forms of it spoken in Aberdour. Like most native Scots I had learned to shift between the common tongue and its more polished version depending on whether I was in the playground or inside the classroom. However on entering secondary school I was confronted with a middle class form of English that went way beyond BBC English and sounded like something out of the ‘Whacko’ TV series starring Jimmy Edwards. I assume these fellow pupils had fathers working in high positions inside Rosyth Dockyard and that was why they were living in what they called ‘Abadowa.’

As a side note, I spoke to a Pars fan a couple of years ago who was brought up in Aberdour and he thought that the locals had objected to a Fish and Chip shop being opened in Aberdour. My memory is that until at least the early 1970s there was a Fish and Chip café at the top of Shore Road which served over the counter. Has the village been gentrified?

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 19:26

Was the objection to a chip shop not in Dalgety Bay?

My father always wanted to buy a house in Dovecot Park, inside the iron gates!

Post Edited (Fri 12 Jan 19:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 19:49

Quote:

sammer, Fri 12 Jan 18:39

GG Riva did well to master the English language within a year since there were three distinct forms of it spoken in Aberdour. Like most native Scots I had learned to shift between the common tongue and its more polished version depending on whether I was in the playground or inside the classroom. However on entering secondary school I was confronted with a middle class form of English that went way beyond BBC English and sounded like something out of the ‘Whacko’ TV series starring Jimmy Edwards. I assume these fellow pupils had fathers working in high positions inside Rosyth Dockyard and that was why they were living in what they called ‘Abadowa.’

As a side note, I spoke to a Pars fan a couple of years ago who was brought up in Aberdour and he thought that the locals had objected to a Fish and Chip shop being opened in Aberdour. My memory is that until at least the early 1970s there was a Fish and Chip café at the top of Shore Road which served over the counter. Has the village been gentrified?

I think it took me rather more than a year, Sammer. I started in P1, almost 3 years older than my classmates, with no English whatsoever. The other kids were nice to me, but there was a German lad in the school who was mercilessly bullied, mentally and physically, on an almost daily basis. I think WW2 was still fresh in everyone`s mind back then.

I was fast tracked through my primary education, so that by the time I was in P7, I`d caught up with my peers. By this time, we were in Dunfermline and I was taken to see the primary Head by my teacher, for "hiding behind my language." My crime? I was unable to decide whether a subordinate clause in a compound sentence was adverbial or adjectival. 😔 Nowadays, I think kids studying H English might find themselves in the same boat.

Not sure how we got into chip shops, but I do know the good inhabitants of Crossford managed to keep them at bay until fairly recently.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sat 13 Jan 12:12

Both my schools are gone.
Original Kings Road burned down few years ago by some idiot.

DHS also now replaced.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Sat 13 Jan 17:24

I went to school in South Africa in the 1980`s and it was exceptionally strict.

School uniform was mandatory and inspections were regularly held to assess the shine of the shoe, hair length, neatness and length of girls skirts.

The cane was still in force and "six of the best" was still feared. I can recall one day receiving a total of 18 (3x6) from three separate sadistic male teachers whom I suspect swore allegiance to the swastika.

Every Thursday all boys had to swap their school uniforms for millitary attire for basic army training, shooting and parades whilst the girls learnt how best to keep a home with cooking classes.

Thank the lord that Nelson Mandela abolished these Draconian measures soon after the elections in 1994. My vote was not wasted.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Jan 18:03

Superb post DD .. cannot imagine what that would have been like for a young Lass/Laddie

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Jan 14:08

Does anyone know someone who went to the old Aberdour PS? It was replaced by the current building in 1967, so it would have to be someone born before 1962. I was befriended by a lad called Ian Dewar who became a fine tennis player and may have represented Scotland. I don`t know if he lives locally.

Orne thing I do remember about the school is that the toilets were in the playground and had no roof. We were separated from the girls toilet by a high wall. Some of the boys tried their hardest to pee over it, but nobody could aim quite high enough and occasionally their best efforts backfired on them. 😄😄😄

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Jan 14:34

A girlfriend of mine went to Aberdour PS, unfortunately she is no longer with us.

Ian Dewar was a good football player, played for Aberdour Amateurs, think he lives up Kelty way, if he is still alive!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Jan 16:29

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 14 Jan 14:34

A girlfriend of mine went to Aberdour PS, unfortunately she is no longer with us.

Ian Dewar was a good football player, played for Aberdour Amateurs, think he lives up Kelty way, if he is still alive!

Why would he no be alive, LA? He`s still a young buck - a couple of years younger than me. 😁

Aberdour to Kelty - He`s moved up in the world - at least in terms of sea level. 😄

Eta. I've remembered another classmate who rejoiced in the name of Cecil Lyon. He had a pal called Barney Bear. (OK, I made that second name up.) 🙄

There was a girl, too. Gillian Livingstone - lived in a big house on Shore Road. A real honey - I would have married her if we hadn't moved to Dunfermline before I plucked up the courage to ask her. 😔

Post Edited (Sun 14 Jan 16:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Jan 19:12

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 14 Jan 16:29

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 14 Jan 14:34

Why would he no be alive, LA? He`s still a young buck - a couple of years younger than me. 😁

Aberdour to Kelty - He`s moved up in the world - at least in terms of sea level. 😄

Eta. I`ve remembered another classmate who rejoiced in the name of Cecil Lyon. He had a pal called Barney Bear. (OK, I made that second name up.) 🙄

There was a girl, too. Gillian Livingstone - lived in a big house on Shore Road. A real honey - I would have married her if we hadn`t moved to Dunfermline before I plucked up the courage to ask her. 😔

Maybe a different Ian Dewar, the one I mentioned will be 60/70, bald headed, quite stocky!😎
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Jan 20:19

It’s aw coming oot noo

Always the quiet ones

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Jan 07:08

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 14 Jan 19:12

Maybe a different Ian Dewar, the one I mentioned will be 60/70, bald headed, quite stocky!😎

Impossible for me to say, LA. Last time I saw Ian, he`d have been about 12 or 13. He had plenty hair then and was definitely not "stocky."

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Jan 14:07

My " first love" lived down Seaside Place in Aberdour, U/14 East of Scotland tennis champion, really fit!

Saying no more. 😜👹😎
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 16 Jan 15:54

Ian Dewar lives in Burntisland and is very much alive.
Played football with Ian for around 4 seasons.
I finished his career when I accidentally broke his nose at training.
Mrs Dewar retired him after that!

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Jan 18:03

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Tue 16 Jan 15:54

Ian Dewar lives in Burntisland and is very much alive.
Played football with Ian for around 4 seasons.
I finished his career when I accidentally broke his nose at training.
Mrs Dewar retired him after that!

Thug!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 13:41

This is your old Aberdour school

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 19:07

Thanks for uploading that for me, Raymie.

I got the pic from a young lady (about my own age) before the game on Saturday. She was also a pupil at the school in the 60s. No idea how she knew who I was. I must have changed a fair bit in 60 years. 😄

The building on the right was the school house. The lady who gave me the pic said she remembered the school had upstairs rooms and wondered if the building wasn`t one that preceded the one we attended. I doubt it had been replaced since it`s similar in style to other local schools such as St Leonards, Milesmark and McLean.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 19:26

Really pleased you got your pic GG .. As you know I searched for hours and could not find one

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 08:41

Quote:

Buspasspar, Wed 14 Feb 19:26

Really pleased you got your pic GG .. As you know I searched for hours and could not find one

Cheers, BPP. Thanks for your efforts anyway. At least it made a change from looking out of your window at this dreich weather of ours. 🫣

Roll on sunny spring. 🌞

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hockeyboy  
Date:   Fri 16 Feb 20:16

My first school was Aberdour PS as well GG.......but v2.0 😃 I lived in Aberdour for the first 15 years of my life and never realised the old school was there, thanks for this.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Thu 22 Feb 16:21

My first school age 5 years was Blairhall Primary. Because there was only one school in Oakley at the time, some of us were bussed each day to Blairhall. The first Inzievar JS School was approved and started and because Blairhall Primary needed more space we were shipped up to the old Hostel building up the Saline road, till Inzievar JS was ready. Ican remember quite a few of the teachers we had at the new Inzievar. My first teacher was Miss Sutherland in the primary, but who could forget the wonderful Music Teacher we had, Mr. Harry Grant who lived in Saline. He gave up the chance to joi the London Philharmonic Orchestra to teach children. He was amazing.
With living in Oakley I was happy to get my education continued at Inzievar as it was a Junior Secondary, and an excellent education we received. Teachers in the Secondary that come to mind, Mrs. Morrison, Miss Shand, Mr. Bernard, Mr. Simpson, Mr, Erskine, Mr. Toshak, Miss Donaldson and Miss Happer. The Headmaster was Mr. Wannan. I loved my schooling it was brilliant.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 27 Feb 16:24

Touch Primary for me
Poor Mrs Couch - she actually had me and all of my 4 siblings in P1 classes.

P2 was in New Zealand
P3 back in Dunfermline at Lyneburn
(WTF mum? Devonport, Auckland or Abbey View, Dunfermline?)
P4-7 back at Touch

Post Edited (Tue 27 Feb 16:25)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 27 Feb 17:04

Touch ps , lived in touch
Townhill ps , lived in kingseat
Lynburn ps, abbeyview
Hilton ps (Inverness)
Then queen Anne hs (cairneyhill)

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Feb 08:27

Touch for nursery
Commercial 1-7
DHS 1-5
Up yous Woodmillhillbillies!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Feb 09:25

Camdean Primary
Woodmill Junior High 1964-1967
Dunfermline High 1967- 1968

Post Edited (Wed 28 Feb 09:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 00:05

My Grandad who lived in Burntisland was a station clerk in Aberdour Station round about that time GG. I remember he was very proud of the flower display at the station, which got several awards. A lot of my boyhood and teenage Summers were spent at my Grandparents house in Burntisland and the walk from Burntisland to Aberdour and back was a favourite walk. In the past few years I have driven through to Aberdour several times and walked to Kinghorn and taken the bus back to Aberdour. A great day out, particularly when it`s a sunny day and the tide`s out. Aberdour has always been a favourite place for me and obviously Burntisland too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Superally  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 09:25

My first School was Charlestown primary and was one of the last pupils there (I think 9 in total!). When the School closed we moved to Limekilns.

2009/10, 2010/11, 2013/14, 2015/16 dafc.net Prediction League Champion

It's a well known medical fact that some men were born two drams below par.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 09:36

Quote:

Superally, Thu 29 Feb 09:25

My first School was Charlestown primary and was one of the last pupils there (I think 9 in total!). When the School closed we moved to Limekilns.

Crombie PS is also no more. Its pupils have also moved to Limekilns. Who`ll be next? There are some really tiny schools in W. Fife. You`d imagine it`s not really viable to keep them open. Always sad for the local community to lose its primary school.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 10:03

My first school was Foulford Primary in Cowdenbeath but we moved to the other side of Cowdenbeath after my first year and transferred to Broad Street Primary. Foulford is long gone but Broad Street still exists.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 15:07

Quote:

Paralex, Thu 29 Feb 10:03

My first school was Foulford Primary in Cowdenbeath but we moved to the other side of Cowdenbeath after my first year and transferred to Broad Street Primary. Foulford is long gone but Broad Street still exists.

Where did you get that idea, Paralex? Foulford PS is alive and kicking, with a healthy school roll of 348 pupils. I`ve just googled it. 😁

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 19:00

Well, there you are now GG. Reports of it`s demise are premature.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 19:47

Quote:

Paralex, Thu 29 Feb 19:00

Well, there you are now GG. Reports of it`s demise are premature.

https://images.app.goo.gl/AHkeCeTYHiAdR9Ad6

Looks like a new build and with the greatest respect, unlikely to have been frequented by an auld fossil like yersel.... 😉

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 21:23

Yes, the building I was in was near the bottom of Stenhouse Street, near the High Street. The building was demolished a long time ago and its a car park now. The new building looks like it`s about half a mile away. But good to know there is still a Foulford Primary School. What I remember about living in Cowdenbeath till the age of 9 is the bitterly cold winters and lots of snow. Looks like global warming has ended that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 22:40

Tranent Infant 1-3
Tranent Primary 4-7
Ross High 1-5

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Mar 00:00

Looks like you`ve been a Tranent dweller man and boy BigT but as I say to my son often it`s a great part of the world to live in. I`ve really come to appreciate East Lothian since he moved to Haddington.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Mar 00:08

Quote:

Paralex, Fri 1 Mar 00:00

Looks like you`ve been a Tranent dweller man and boy BigT but as I say to my son often it`s a great part of the world to live in. I`ve really come to appreciate East Lothian since he moved to Haddington.

It is mate. Got everything. 10 minutes north, we`ve got fantastic beaches, 10 minutes south we`re in lovely countryside and half an hour away from Edinburgh. Perfect location and Haddington is braw as well. Some great walks round the town.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Fri 1 Mar 17:58

Some good info there. Maybe someone`s been taking notes.

Keep an eye out for the My First Pet and My Mum`s Maiden Name threads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Mar 19:19

Topic Originator: Big T Par
Date: Fri 1 Mar 00:08

Quote:

It is mate. Got everything. 10 minutes north, we`ve got fantastic beaches, 10 minutes south we`re in lovely countryside and half an hour away from Edinburgh. Perfect location and Haddington is braw as well. Some great walks round the town.

Paralex .. hope you are well .. Big T forgot to add only 20 mins from me :-o))

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Mar 20:29

Quote:

Buspasspar, Fri 1 Mar 19:19

Topic Originator: Big T Par
Date: Fri 1 Mar 00:08

Quote:

Paralex .. hope you are well .. Big T forgot to add only 20 mins from me :-o))

That goes without saying mate 😊

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Mar 20:56

Great to reconnect with you two bros. Very much looking forward to the game v Ayr Utd tomorrow after my late winter break in Portugal.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Mar 21:17

Ye missed the jam in the sandwich cuddle at the Arbroath game Paralex 😘

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Mar 21:19

Very much look forward to that sometime in future Buffy.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Mar 23:20

Do you live in posh North Berwick, BPP?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 08:32

Aye Raymie posh N/B

Paralex .. the cuddle alone is worth the visit

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 08:58

😘 😘

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net