DAFC.net
Home 27 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Go Away, You`re Not Wanted Here....
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 06:50

Got this article in my news feed this morning;

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/travel/uk-tourists-majorca-malaga-tenerife-28815876?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

It looks like some popular holiday destinations have decided that the money they make from some British tourists is far outweighed by the alcohol fuelled problems they cause....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Go Away, You`re Not Wanted Here....
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 07:26

Surely it’s the pubs and organised trips that are to blame - not the tourists who buy their alcohol?

Boioze cruises have been a thing for decades abroad - usually organised by holiday reps and local businesses.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 07:30

A great example of the media spinning a story to invoke a reaction. It appears they`re referring to ALL tourists, not just British ones. What they`re experiencing is similar to tourist hotspots like Edinburgh where local people are being pushed out by greedy landlords wanting short term let`s rather than long term tenants as they can make a lot more money.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 09:40

Very noticeable in Tenerife where workers cannot get accommodation thus inducing a shortage along with the lack of UK workers due to Brexit.

I understand that a lot of families in Las Americas/Christianos area were evicted this week due to apartments being let out to tourists.

The water shortage in the Canaries shows no signs of improvement, not helped by the highest recorded winter temperatures.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 10:55

I can`t remember where I read it but there was a big thing about Brits who have paid off their mortgage are considering just buggering off out the UK because it sucks so badly now. Probably the same people who voted these idiots in and voted for Brexit.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 15 Mar 13:18

The autonomous government of the Balearics brought in restrictions across a few targeted areas of Mallorca and Ibiza last year to clamp down on anti social behaviour, largely caused by Brits, following escalating complaints from locals and other tourists.

Some All Inclusive hotels in these areas were only allowed to serve a maximum of 5 (or 6 ?) drinks, so called "Booze Cruises" and "Happy Hours" were banned, likewise BOGOF drink promotions.

"I can`t remember where I read it but there was a big thing about Brits who have paid off their mortgage are considering just buggering off out the UK because it sucks so badly now. Probably the same people who voted these idiots in and voted for Brexit."

Since the lunacy of Brexit, Spain has been obliged to restrict how many days Brits (and other non EU citizens) can stay in the country - a maximum of 90 in a 180 day period. Then you need to leave the country before starting such a cycle again - that can complicate moving there.

It`s not as black and white as that though - there are ways to settle, however for the casual tourist that is the situation.

Post Edited (Fri 15 Mar 13:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Wed 20 Mar 21:36

I`ve got a good Spanish friend called Marcos, who worked in Glasgow for a few years. He lives in Madrid and is entertainingly opinionated about certain Spanish issues. For instance he is a big Real Madrid fan and doesn`t share my opinion that Sergio Ramos is one of the biggest thugs ever to don a football shirt. But that apart, he also thinks the UK should return Gibraltar to the Spanish, the reason being that its very near to the Spanish mainland. My response to him was, that`s a good point Marcos but maybe we could do a swap deal for the Canary Islands since they are nowhere near Spain. Problem solved.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 00:54

They certainly seem much keener to get their hands on Gib than they are on giving Ceuta & Melilla back to Morocco.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 07:47

Yes, very true parsfan and on the Sergio Ramos point, I notice that he plays for Sevilla now. Seemingly he is second in the all time list for red cards with 29. What a guy!!! You can`t deny he`s got a bit of vava voom. Think that`s French though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 08:12

Gib is physically joined to Spain. If going with islands then the UK example would surely be Guernsey? Can you imagine how Little Britons would feel if Spain claimed Cornwall? 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 09:19

Hitler wanted Spain to invade Gib during WW2, or at least allow German forces passage through from occupied France to do so.

Franco being ever pragmatic was unwilling to throw his country into the war on the Axis side - although he did permit an all volunteer Spanish "Blue Division" to fight the Soviets until 1943.

They were officially withdrawn when the tide of war started to favour the Allies.

Hitler stated that he would prefer a visit to the dentist for extractions rather than have to negotiate with El Caudillo again.

Post Edited (Thu 21 Mar 17:03)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 09:28

Quote:

Paralex, Thu 21 Mar 07:47

Yes, very true parsfan and on the Sergio Ramos point, I notice that he plays for Sevilla now. Seemingly he is second in the all time list for red cards with 29. What a guy!!! You can`t deny he`s got a bit of vava voom. Think that`s French though.

I remember when Sergio Ramos broke through as a kid at Sevilla, they had a fairly formidable centre back hard men pairing of Pablo Alfaro and Javi Navarro. Pablo used to often frequent the same riverside bar as I did on a Sunday night, a surprisingly nice chap despite the disciplinary record. I thought he must have been close to the red card record, but it seems he only amassed 18 of them despite it seeming to me like he headed for an early bath every time I seen him play
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 09:40

Maybe in that case Jake89, we could throw in Cornwall as a bargaining tool with Gibraltar, which by all accounts is just a big chunk of barren rock with hostile apes throwing stones at the tourists. After all Cornish pasties are overrated but their yellow ice cream is rather delicious, I suppose. But having read VEE`s historic view of Gibraltar, maybe, for sentimental reasons it`s worth keeping so let`s just offer them Cornwall for the Canary Islands. I`ve holidayed in both and for me, the Canaries edges it for climate and tourist appeal.

Please excuse the verbal garbage, I`m away for a walk up the Champs Ellysee now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 09:55

In 2002 Gibraltar voted 98.9% to retain full British sovereignty. Spain might have another go when they’ve all died off..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 10:09

…btw Paralex, I’ve eaten Cornish pasties in Cornwall. My aunt down there baked them about a foot long…nothing shop bought has ever come near!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 10:44

If Gib had fallen to Axis control in WW2 it would have been an absolute catastrophe for the Allies - no access to the Mediterranean from the west making it almost impossible to support Malta which was a key base.

The North African campaign against Rommel could not have been supplied.

Difficult to see how the Allies could have won.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 10:59

Did Gibraltar not vote by a similar margin to remain in the eu? Westminster didn’t seem too bothered about their view and the implications that it might have on them back then
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 11:02

Yes indeed VEE, strategic at that time, and possibly into the future too. Your post recalls to mind some of the incredible effort and sacrifice of a few generations before us, to bring about relative peace in our days. Without wishing to bring up any modern controversy, I must admit to being slightly put out by an article in the Yad Vashem (holocaust museum) in Jerusalem which blamed the Christian West for the holocaust. When I think of the sacrifice of life and limb in my own wider family, to defeat the Nazi regime, that sentiment didn`t go down to well.

Aye indeed DBP, they didn`t take too much notice of us either and without being flippant, it was an absolute beast getting through passport control in Charles de Gaule Airport yesterday.

Seemingly Red Star Par, there was a dude by the name of Gerardo Bedoya, a Columbian defender who amassed an astonishing total of 46 red cards. He holds the record. At 29 Sergio, in second place was a mere beginner.

Post Edited (Thu 21 Mar 11:14)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 16:24

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 21 Mar 10:44

If Gib had fallen to Axis control in WW2 it would have been an absolute catastrophe for the Allies - no access to the Mediterranean from the west making it almost impossible to support Malta which was a key base.

The North African campaign against Rommel could not have been supplied.

Difficult to see how the Allies could have won.

My father was on the Malta convoys, a German stuka put a bomb down his ships funnel, crew abandoned ship and were picked up by another RN vessel.

That ship then suffered the same fate, he was rescued by another vessel and also mentioned in dispatches!

Incredible bravery, RIP father.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 17:00

On the topic of red cards - wasn`t our own home grown Willie Johnston somewhere up there in that particular Hall of Shame ?

A domestic record - 22 ?

Lochgelly Albert

"My father was on the Malta convoys, a German stuka put a bomb down his ships funnel, crew abandoned ship and were picked up by another RN vessel.

That ship then suffered the same fate, he was rescued by another vessel and also mentioned in dispatches!

Incredible bravery, RIP father."

I think mentioned in despatches reports may be available here.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/awards-and-accreditation/content/100325

Malta convoys were indeed a very dangerous duty.

Post Edited (Thu 21 Mar 17:02)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 17:22

Quote:

Paralex, Thu 21 Mar 11:02

Aye indeed DBP, they didn`t take too much notice of us either and without being flippant, it was an absolute beast getting through passport control in Charles de Gaule Airport yesterday.

Thats strange Paralex - when we went to Paris in Jan, we breezed through passport control - no queues at all 🤔😂 although, I did have to chase a 2 year old through all of the barriers as she made a run for it 🙄
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 18:10

Some great posts there guys .. Paralex ..vee .. LA

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Mar 18:31

Cheers BPP. Yes some things in the past should be remembered.

And on a lighter note VEE, with regard to Willie Johnston, it makes you proud to be a Fifer, in an inverted kind of way.

Sometimes on my many trips to France Dave 1885, I may have considered the title of this thread typified their attitude to tourists (especially British) but I think the big queues at the passport check in was due to hitting an unusually busy period. Paris was hoaching today. The walk down the Champs Elysees was like coming out of East End Park in our hay days.

Post Edited (Thu 21 Mar 20:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Mar 10:42

I think mentioned in despatches reports may be available here.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/awards-and-accreditation/content/100325

Malta convoys were indeed a very dangerous duty.

That`s a very detailed search engine, will have to get dates from my mother, I`m sure she still has the communication. Interestingly I entered my father`s BEM award and there were no results, strange as I have the said medal in my possession!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Mar 11:58

Talking about Paris Paralex .. I remember getting stopped by a street artist at the Sacre Ceour in 1988 He wanted to sketch my profile to which I politely declined .. Non Merci Ecossais .. to which he replied Ah Dundee United

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Mar 12:22

Was in Cancun some years ago and spoke to the Canadian dive instructor whose surname was Sturrock, relatives from Tayside.

Our teacher daughter was with us and mentioned she taught Sturrock twins at QA high, they were his cousins!

Scary.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Mar 13:46

Quote:

Buspasspar, Fri 22 Mar 11:58

Talking about Paris Paralex .. I remember getting stopped by a street artist at the Sacre Ceour in 1988 He wanted to sketch my profile to which I politely declined .. Non Merci Ecossais .. to which he replied Ah Dundee United

Was the street artist Nigerian by any chance?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Mar 14:17

Yes BPP, I get the logic, that was in Dundee Utd`s golden period in European football with Sturrock Narey and Co. It may have been difficult to persuade him of the equal European merits of Dunfermline Athletic, since their golden days were 20 years earlier. But on the other hand, maybe he knew people from Dundee and not known for their cultural finesse, reckoned an artistic commission from such was stretching the bounds of credibility.

And just to prove that Fifers are much more cultured, I`m off to the Opera Madelaine.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Mar 15:05

Paul Sturrock was on our flight to Tenerife some years ago, sitting one seat in front of me, to the right.

Many punters were heads down in their paperback thrillers - he was engrossed in a hardback about the mystical meaning of Inca pyramids etc.

He must have finished it on holiday as he found other less demanding reading material on the return leg.

Post Edited (Fri 22 Mar 15:06)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Mar 17:11

Topic Originator: red-star-par

Was the street artist Nigerian by any chance?

Like it RSP .. made me smile because I nearly edited my post to say he was not Nigerian :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 22 Mar 21:36

Quote:

Paralex, Wed 20 Mar 21:36

I`ve got a good Spanish friend called Marcos, who worked in Glasgow for a few years. He lives in Madrid and is entertainingly opinionated about certain Spanish issues. For instance he is a big Real Madrid fan and doesn`t share my opinion that Sergio Ramos is one of the biggest thugs ever to don a football shirt. But that apart, he also thinks the UK should return Gibraltar to the Spanish, the reason being that its very near to the Spanish mainland. My response to him was, that`s a good point Marcos but maybe we could do a swap deal for the Canary Islands since they are nowhere near Spain. Problem solved.

I made the same point years ago to a Spaniard who was giving me grief about the Falklands.
Shut his pus, too.

The bottom line is that if the residents want to be governed by a certain nation, so be it.

98% is pretty convincing.

Apart from that, there is no way we will ever give up Gib for strategic military reasons.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Mar 22:44

The UK should hand back the Falklands and Gibraltar to their rightful owners
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Mar 23:46

Aye, "there`s the rub" as Hamlet Prince of Denmark said. Who are the rightful owners of any tracts of land throughout the world. Work that one out to everyone`s mutual acceptance Red Star Par and you`ll be recognised as the greatest diplomat who ever lived.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 23 Mar 10:39

Quote:

red-star-par, Fri 22 Mar 22:44

The UK should hand back the Falklands and Gibraltar to their rightful owners

But we are their rightful owners.
Spain never owned the Falklands, so had no right to give them to Argentina. The residents almost, if not actually, voted unanimously to be British. Despite Thatcher taking their passports away prior to the invasion.

The Gib residents also voted overwhelmingly to choose Britain. Are you opposed to Democracy?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net