DAFC.net
Home 01 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 A new scam to my knowledge
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 16 May 12:46

Got a call earlier on the mobile to advise that my BRP was due to expire - or something similar - I wasn`t really paying 100% attention.

Gave options to respond in different languages.

Had to Google BRP to find out what it stood for - Biometric Residence Permit, in other words an official UK government ID card for immigrant non British citizens.

I called the mobile back from our landline (withholding the number for obvious reasons) - the fella who answered clearly had no idea what it was all about, so I warned him that his mobile number was being used for illegal purposes and that he should take it up with his service provider.

At least it`s a new variation on the usual suspects scam menu. !!!

Post Edited (Thu 16 May 12:47)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: A new scam to my knowledge
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 16 May 13:18

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 16 May 12:46

Got a call earlier on the mobile to advise that my BRP was due to expire - or something similar - I wasn`t really paying 100% attention.

Had to Google BRP to find out what it stood for - Biometric Residence Permit, in other words an official UK government ID card for immigrant non British citizens.

I called the mobile back from our landline (withholding the number for obvious reasons) - the fella who answered clearly had no idea what it was all about, so I warned him that his mobile number was being used for illegal purposes and that he should take it up with his service provider.

Also worth mentioning that some scams are more around getting you to call them, you then find you are paying for a call to a premium rate phone number.

"If you receive a missed call on your mobile phone from a number you don`t recognise, think twice before calling it back.

That`s because there`s a chance if you do ring back, you`ll fall victim to a scam which could leave you out of pocket.

The following explains more about `missed call` scams, how to spot them and what to do if you think you may have fallen victim.

Scammers use automated systems to dial mobile numbers.

The call often lasts less than a second and comes up as a missed call.

Calls will typically be from a number beginning 070 or 076 (which look like mobile numbers but cost considerably more to call) or from non-geographic numbers such as those beginning 084, 087, 090, 091 or 118.

Anyone who does call the number back is charged for as long as they`re on the phone."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 16 May 16:44

Quote:

red-star-par, Thu 16 May 13:18

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 16 May 12:46

Also worth mentioning that some scams are more around getting you to call them, you then find you are paying for a call to a premium rate phone number.

"If you receive a missed call on your mobile phone from a number you don`t recognise, think twice before calling it back.

That`s because there`s a chance if you do ring back, you`ll fall victim to a scam which could leave you out of pocket.

The following explains more about `missed call` scams, how to spot them and what to do if you think you may have fallen victim.

Scammers use automated systems to dial mobile numbers.

The call often lasts less than a second and comes up as a missed call.

Calls will typically be from a number beginning 070 or 076 (which look like mobile numbers but cost considerably more to call) or from non-geographic numbers such as those beginning 084, 087, 090, 091 or 118.

Anyone who does call the number back is charged for as long as they`re on the phone."

All true. Fortunately my phone automatically stops me from calling them back.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 May 18:03

And thanks VEE for helping raise awareness of this sort of thing, there is so much of it going on. I try and avoid answering calls if I don`t recognise the number. Apparently there are even calls that are designed to make you answer "Yes" and then they hang up (they will just say things like `can you hear me`). Trying to get voice samples so they can then conduct bank fraud on your account.

People really need to be careful what they post on the internet these days as well, I could probably fairly easily get enough information online for some people for me to be able to contact most banks/ pension providers etc and get through their data security checks and begin some fraudulent activity
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 21 May 13:07

I regard myself as being pretty switched on when it comes to scams but nearly got caught out this morning.
Received a text from Vodafone informing me that I had amassed 5100 points over the years and they would expire in three days if I did not redeem them.
Then the link took me to a page that looked exactly like a Vodafone page and listed and pictured were all the rewards I could have for the points.
Here`s the point the alarm bells started ring ....
In order to facilitate the delivery of your reward your bank details are needed as we charge a nominal 10p fee.
Nope nope nope ..
I`m annoyed with myself that it took me so long to realise it was nonsense....but at least I did before I done anything stupid like entering bank details .
Maybe it`s cos I didn`t have my porridge this morning lol

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Wed 22 May 12:23

I run my own business and someone attempted to submit a very legitimate looking standing order posted to the bank on my company headed paper along with a perfect copy of my wife`s signature.

I only discovered this when they accidently posted it to the Bank of Scotland instead of RBS

BoS re-posted it to me claiming it had been submitted to the wrong branch.

I then forwarded to the Police whom were powerless to act.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 13:38

Quote:

DunfyDave, Wed 22 May 12:23

I run my own business and someone attempted to submit a very legitimate looking standing order posted to the bank on my company headed paper along with a perfect copy of my wife`s signature.

I only discovered this when they accidently posted it to the Bank of Scotland instead of RBS

BoS re-posted it to me claiming it had been submitted to the wrong branch.

I then forwarded to the Police whom were powerless to act.

Powerless to act, or couldn`t be bothered to act? Seems to me like the sort of thing where they could have done a bit of detective work to establish who was behind this attempted fraud?

You would think it must be someone who had received your company headed notepaper, had a copy of your wife`s signature, the bank details they wanted the standing order paid to must belong to someone? And if it was posted where did the post mark say it was posted from? Did they check the paperwork for fingerprints?

Seems like a poor show from the Police

Maybe you could share the attempted fraudsters bank sort code and account number on here and we can all set up Direct Debits to Charities at their expense - that would sort the bvggers out
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 22 May 17:35

"Maybe you could share the attempted fraudsters bank sort code and account number on here and we can all set up Direct Debits to Charities at their expense - that would sort the bvggers out"

Would that not render "we" liable to charges of fraud ?

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Wed 22 May 19:20

I think RSP was just being flippant VEE 🤔

The police claimed that the receiving bank account for the fraudsters would bear them no leads so we`re unable to take it further.

I do think, with a little imagination, they could have perhaps exploited the information I gave them better.

I forgot to mention a previous scam roughly 5years ago where fraudsters entered an RBS branch in Kilmarnock (I was in Dunfermline) and half-an-hour apart submitted two seperate fraudulent cheques for Cash with the dodgiest of signatures and a fake i.d. professing to be me and made of with nearly £6k late on a Friday afternoon.

I contacted RBS fraud squad immediately that night and they were poor to re-act. We did get all our money back but they refused to change my account details as they felt it was a "once off event".

I swapped banks immediately.

The Police had CCTV footage of the individuals but could not share this with me for "Privacy Laws" even though I could have assisted in identifying the culprits.

I suspect this same gang were instrumental in the second attempt to defraud me through the fake standing order scam.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net