DAFC.net
Home 08 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The last original Top
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Tue 23 Jul 13:46

Last of the original Four Tops, Abdul Fakir, passed away aged 88.

I was a big Motown fan back in the sixties still enjoy it when one pops up on the radio.

Actually saw him some years ago at a Motown show at the Playhouse. Them, plus Temptatations some others…he was the only original survivor then.

Memorable evening, not just the show, a couple of wifies got carried out blootered before it started! I also smoked then and enjoyed the company of a gaggle of Glasgow lassies for an outside fag break. Fortunately it was quite dark so they didnae see me blush…

Saw a programme a while ago on the Motown phenomenon. All based in a not particularly big house in a Detroit suburb, the writers churning out song after song in one room, the artists recording in the basement backed up by house band the Funk Brothers who would chip in ideas to polish up the final take.
Great stuff.

Post Edited (Tue 23 Jul 13:49)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The last original Top
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 23 Jul 19:20

Saw the Tamla show down at the O2 2015/16, some show just hit after hit, they were dancing in the aisles!🎶🎸
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 23 Jul 19:34

Like you parboiled me and Mrs buspass were big Mowtown fans back in the day
I think our 53 year old Daughter could have been conceived during one of the Four Tops songs .. playing on my old reel to reel tape machine
Shake me Wake me When its Over

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 24 Jul 09:13

You didn’t manage to last through the whole LP then…?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 24 Jul 10:18

Just found details, April 2014, O2 London,

Four Tops
Temptations
Platters
Freya Payne

All outstanding musicians with a great backing band, zimmers, wheelchairs, walking sticks getting flung away!

Strangely the same happened at an Average White Band gig in Edinburgh!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 24 Jul 12:40

I`ve got a mate who was on a cruise back in 2009 and he got to perform live with the drifters who were the onboard entertainment for that week
Then after the show , many drinkies were had.
I don`t know which version of the drifters it was (there has been many splinter groups created by ex members over the years) but he described it as being one of the coolest nights he`s ever had as a bassist.
His wife was none too pleased when he crawled back into their cabin absolutely hammered at 06:00 lol.
She still casts it up to him to this day.
He however is unrepentant and says he`d do it again in a heartbeat.

Admin
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net