DAFC.net
Home 16 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The good old days
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 13:27

This may be a bit of a shock for younger dudes, but there was a time if you wanted to see a doctor you went along to the surgery, told the person behind the counter what’s up and sat and waited. Or stood and waited if it was really busy. It could be quite a few hours but you’d be seen eventually.

After spending over an hour today on the phone I finally got through only to told if it’s not an emergency first appt was in 4 weeks!

Mrs P uses a different practice. Recently she saw the doc, got a prescription, and was told to make another appt to see him again in two weeks. Goes to the desk only to be informed by snooty receptionist she could only make appts by phone. So she sits down and phones the person she’s looking at….

Is it just me that thinks they would prefer it if you just stayed away?

Post Edited (Fri 09 Aug 13:31)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The good old days
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 13:47

Experience seems to vary quite a lot. My practice operates the `8 am rush` to make appointments by telephone but if you miss out and phone later they put you on the `triage` system if they think it`s serious enough. I`ve managed to get same-day appointments twice via this route. There have been two retirals of GPs from my practice in the last few years with no problem replacing them and they also have a GP registrar employed by the practice.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 14:47

You can`t make an appointment by phone at mine. You have to fill out a form on line.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 15:39

Going back to the 50’s/60’s there was a much revered, and still fondly remembered Doc operating out of an old cottage In an Inverkeithing side street.

William Henderson or Dr Billy as he was known. Devoted to his calling, day and night, though you had to hide your fags if he came to your house - not because he would give you a row, he smoked like a lum but never carried any and would would nick one of yours!

Poor chap didn’t enjoy a long retirement, worn out by relentless toil. A life well lived indeed

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 16:12

“…on second thoughts “ a life well lived “ is not really apt, nobody should be expected to put those hours in. Work/ life balance is important for everyone

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 17:05

Unfortunately, the same generations who enjoyed that luxury pulled up the drawbridge behind them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 17:54

Quote:

Parboiled, Fri 9 Aug 15:39

Going back to the 50’s/60’s there was a much revered, and still fondly remembered Doc operating out of an old cottage In an Inverkeithing side street.

William Henderson or Dr Billy as he was known. Devoted to his calling, day and night, though you had to hide your fags if he came to your house - not because he would give you a row, he smoked like a lum but never carried any and would would nick one of yours!

Poor chap didn’t enjoy a long retirement, worn out by relentless toil. A life well lived indeed

He was my doctor as a wee boy. I remember him as a very nice old man. I went on to work with his daughter many years later.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 18:33

I had a great doc that had been going to for over 40 years… if I had a problem he just used to say “ah yes I’ll put through a prescription and just pick it up at reception” The old school docs didnt have google or internet but could diagnose a problem faster than anyone nowadays.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 18:51

Our one in cowdenbeath isn’t too bad now as they have started taking advanced appointments - but they are by phone firstly then after that they will see you if needed…….but better than the 8am rush then being told “sorry cant see you phone NHS24 after 6pm” then you phone them for out of hours and they tell you to phone your GP……
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Fri 9 Aug 19:17

You seem to able to diagnose yourself these days and get a green light from the Doctors office through the telephone.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NMCmassive  
Date:   Sat 10 Aug 11:53

We’ve lost our way in this country with GP’s.

Maybe there isn’t enough of them but they are to difficult to get a hold off. My GP’s operate the 8am rush thing which just doesn’t help me if I ever need to see them. I work Monday-Friday, start at 7.30 most days and can be almost anywhere in the country (travelling joiner) for me to even make an appointment I’ve got to take a morning off work and hope I can get an appointment early enough in the day I can get to where ever it is I need to go to or loose a days wage. I was working with an Icelandic boy who’s moved here and found the same issue. He said in Iceland he could email his GP during his lunch break and they’d email him back an appointment. If was something needing dealt with he’d phone up and get an appointment within a couple of days.

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 10 Aug 13:08

Bellyeoman does it through a web form now. Means they can allocate by urgency rather than who wins the redial roulette.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 10 Aug 13:56

I think many have replaced doctors with health care assistants so the number of actual doctor appointments is reduced.

I don`t know if it`s related to volume of calls but our surgery`s lines often now cut you off so we go and queue outside before 730. Much later than that and there are a lot of people ahead of you.

If you dont get an early appointment they are usually delated significantly too....which suggests a lack of supply to me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 11 Aug 09:23

Quote:

jake89, Fri 9 Aug 17:05

Unfortunately, the same generations who enjoyed that luxury pulled up the drawbridge behind them.

Exactly this. Also, any time I`ve ever been to my GP, it`s filled to the brim with pensioners with absolutely mild ailments. People seem to have lost any ability to self manage symptoms
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Aug 11:02

How do you manage your chronic dumbhoodity?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Aug 11:18

Considering I work in the health service, I know the amount of crap people go through with their GPs and what they incorrectly send off to other services.

🤡🤡🤡
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Aug 11:54

Now the hell do you know why oldies or anyone else are in the waiting room? (this mythical surgery filled to the brim)

There are innumerable illnesses and long term conditions with not a cough or a sneeze ..not to worry the winter cull is not long off!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 09:43

Thunder and lightning, quick get the telly switched off and unplugged!🙉⚡️⚡️🌧🌧🌩
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 11:12

Doesn`t help when folk just don`t bother turning up. 152 appointments were missed at my GP practice last month.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 13:15

Any idea what that is as a %?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 14:27

At 10minutes per appointment it is over half a weeks in doctors time. Mounts up!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 15:49

Agreed...but really understanding why it is happening is important.

To my shame I missed one not so long ago, but my bus didn`t turn up and I couldn`t get through as reception was chockablock with others trying to get an appointment. And I didn`t have time to walk there, and I couldn`t get a cab.

Clearly that won`t be that common hopefully, but life happens and not all missed appointment are "I couldn`t be bothered".
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 16:16

Been in quite a few hospital out patient clinics where you check in at reception then sit doon till a nurse calls your name. There have been times a patient appears to have vanished - name called repeatedly no sign of them.

Then there was the time I was in ENT clinic at the VIC. Left ear infection, totally deaf in that one. Nurse calls name, muffled hearing but sort of sounds like mine, nobody gets up so I do…it wisnae me at all though it it didn’t click with me or the doc for a wee bit. Most interesting report on a procedure I never had!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 17:34

Was in the Vic A&E last Tuesday evening after midnight, at least 30 folk sitting waiting in reception.

My mother was brought in by ambulance (2hr wait) and eventually seen by a doctor at 06.30 and admitted.

She had a minor stroke and is now in the hands of Fife NHS, oh for a hospital in Dunfermline!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 17:47

Can thank the Tories for the state the NHS is currently in.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 18:01

No for Wales or Scotland though.... they`ve only screwed up the services in England according to them!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 20:36

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Mon 12 Aug 17:34

Was in the Vic A
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 21:36

Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert
Date: Mon 12 Aug 09:43

Thunder and lightning, quick get the telly switched off and unplugged!🙉⚡️⚡️🌧🌧🌩
Aye LA and cover the mirrors jist in case

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Milos Drizzle  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 23:51

Quote:

Dave_1885, Mon 12 Aug 20:36

LochgellyAlbert, Mon 12 Aug 17:34

Was in the Vic A

Ah.. looks like the ampersand character is an issue with the app(s). Will aim to solve this week.

This is my signature

Post Edited (Mon 12 Aug 23:51)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net