DAFC.net
Home 16 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The "good old days"
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 10:31

I had the misfortune of reading a piece that was essentially a "kids these days - they don`t know they`re born". A lot of romanticism of going to the local baths to wash, mangles and coal fires. Whilst I agree there is far too much consumerism these days, were there old people back then like "mangles? In my day we squeezed the water out by hand and we enjoyed it."

Aren`t these the same people complaining about the winter fuel allowance? Surely they should embrace the cold as it`s character building? Maybe hand back their free bus passes and free prescriptions if life is too easy nowadays?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The "good old days"
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 12:15

I mind having to scrape ice off my Dollytown bedroom window. The outside first then the inside..
The pampered young softies of today cannae survive a day without their noses glued to their phones

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 12:55

To be fair, you don`t know a phone zombie until you encounter the Mainland Chinese. Oblivious! 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 13:29

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 31 Aug 12:15

I mind having to scrape ice off my Dollytown bedroom window. The outside first then the inside..
The pampered young softies of today cannae survive a day without their noses glued to their phones

Will we send you back there for your retirement? Nice room in a care home with single glazed windows and no heating? 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 13:30

The number of people who have just about walked into me while on their phones in London is incredible. Only averted by me moving out the way.

What i find strange is that they`re walking slowly. It would be way more efficient to stop, do what they are doing, and then walk at a decent pace.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 20:47

Quote:

ipswichpar, Sat 31 Aug 13:30

The number of people who have just about walked into me while on their phones in London is incredible. Only averted by me moving out the way.

What i find strange is that they`re walking slowly. It would be way more efficient to stop, do what they are doing, and then walk at a decent pace.

I just stand my ground and stop looking at them. Almost 99% apologize and I go on my self righteous way 🤣. Getting too old so increasing exponentially in grumpy stakes. 🤣.

On the subject of ice in the bedroom windows, I used to have all my Beano collection under my bed and my hands would freeze holding the comic outside the covers. Nowadays kids can read the Beano under the covers with their IPads, have triple glazing whilst the heating is on. Kids done know where they are born these days 🤣

Post Edited (Wed 04 Sep 20:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 21:33

Better check your Beano collection. First issue sold for £30,000….

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Sep 07:33

Parsmad "I used to" being the key part there 😉

Fancy going back to no central heating and single glazed windows?
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 5 Sep 09:23

It was some experience scraping the ice off the Dollytown metal windows, especially when you were waiting to see the Royal Mail bus delivering your Christmas presents!

A duvet??? No chance, just your pop`s overcoat!🥶
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 5 Sep 13:18

Quote:

jake89, Thu 5 Sep 07:33

Parsmad "I used to" being the key part there 😉

Fancy going back to no central heating and single glazed windows?

No thanks. My frail old bones would shatter at the thought of it. I still sleep with my window open in all weathers and don’t turn the heating on in the bedroom. But I know there is a warm house beyond it.
Still remember the torture run from the bedroom at the end of the hall all the way to the living room fireplace. Couldn’t get dressed in that ice box.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Sep 14:55

I`m convinced we use the heating more than when even I was a kid in the 80s/90s. I remember coming downstairs in the morning and sitting against the radiator because it was Baltic. This wasn`t an old house either. Suspect my parents were just "frugal"!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 5 Sep 16:31

Quote:

jake89, Thu 5 Sep 14:55

I`m convinced we use the heating more than when even I was a kid in the 80s/90s. I remember coming downstairs in the morning and sitting against the radiator because it was Baltic. This wasn`t an old house either. Suspect my parents were just "frugal"!

We definitely use more heating than we did back in the 70’s and 80’s although modern houses do contain heat better than they did then.
If you lived in a block of flats as I was once you were perfectly positioned at the top end as heat rises from below.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Thu 5 Sep 19:57

We have a 100 year old building with high ceilings and plenty of cracks/openings in it. Not had the heating on much in the summer but in the winter will have it on a lot more - holds heat pretty well when it warms up, but some times can be baltic 😂
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net