DAFC.net
Home 16 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Council advice
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 16:47

I privately own bottom in a 4 flat with a council flat above me.

The council Tennant above has left her bath running when I was on holiday and it`s came down to mine wrecking the place.

Place is now mouldy damp and walls, ceiling need dried out and repainted,carpets replaced, furniture ruined.

I`ve had a decorator out who says it needs industrial dehumidifiers in to dry it out and it`s not habitable until it`s sorted

Are the council liable for this? Should they be paying for me to stay somewhere else?The tenant has admitted that she did this aswell.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Council advice
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 16:52

Do you not claim off your own insurance and they then chase the council?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 17:14

Not sure the council would relocate you, Nick - that would probably be the situation for their tenant if it was their tenant’s property which was damaged - but I’d get your insurers to contact them re the work needed.

I think, as a private owner, it would be your responsibility to either move out temporarily while work was undergoing or stay.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”

Post Edited (Sat 07 Sep 17:16)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 18:29

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sat 7 Sept 16:52

Do you not claim off your own insurance and they then chase the council?

Don`t really want to claim against it and put premiums up when the council have caused this with their tenant.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 7 Sep 18:48

Worth looking at a small claims court claim for the additional cost for somewhere else to live?

Small claims court claims tend to get their attention. Even if it`s the threat of doing so.

Definitely have a word with insurance though. This sounds like a no fault claim and that should hopefully protect you somewhat.

What a crap thing to be presented with on return from holiday. Hope you had a nice holiday, and I hope this gets sorted quickly.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 8 Sep 00:41

Quote:

ipswichpar, Sat 7 Sept 18:48

Worth looking at a small claims court claim for the additional cost for somewhere else to live?

Small claims court claims tend to get their attention. Even if it`s the threat of doing so.

Definitely have a word with insurance, though. This sounds like a no fault claim, and that should hopefully protect you somewhat.

What a crap thing to be presented with on return from holiday. Hope you had a nice holiday, and I hope this gets sorted quickly.

It is a no fault claim, but the risk of similar happening again will push up your premium.
The tenant will not have building insurance, but the council certainly will.
I think your first step is to ask them. Their cover should pay for emergency accomodation for you until you can move back in.

Contents is maybe a different matter, but ask anyway.

Post Edited (Sun 08 Sep 00:43)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 8 Sep 09:56

I`d check with the council housing department first but if getting nowhere it`s one for your insurance. They`ll contact the councils insurer to claim it and sort you out.

Was this a one-off or do you have a bam for a neighbour? Baths have overflows so it must have been going for some time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Sun 8 Sep 22:45

Contact your home insurer.

Give them all the details and they will sort it all out on your behalf. They will contact them tenant and council.
They will pay all your expenses excluding the excess and then get it back from the council.
Once they are reimbursed by the council (or their insurer) you should even get your excess paid.
The longer you leave contacting your insurer the more difficult it becomes. Insurers expect you report claims within certain time periods. They can be pretty picky if you leave it too long as this could make the damage worse.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 08:00

Best advice yet moviescot

Don’t fart about! that’s why you pay insurance and a no fault claim won’t mean much if anything next year
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 09:18

Quote:

DBP, Mon 9 Sep 08:00

Best advice yet moviescot

Don’t fart about! that’s why you pay insurance and a no fault claim won’t mean much if anything next year

Too many years working in insurance.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 15:15

Thanks everyone for the advice. Appreciate it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 16:57

Hope all goes well for you nick dafc1

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 09:06

Had same scenario happen to me a few years ago.

Boy upstairs was working offshore and water coming down through ceiling, turned out a o-ring washer had perished where toilet pan meets waste pipe and had gradually worked it`s way down.

Ended up with his dad having to drive down from Alness to Glasgow at 2am with a spare key to shut off the stopclock !

Was settled on my insurance, no fault claim and he paid my excess. No increase on my renewal either.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net