DAFC.net
Home 16 June 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Skint
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Tue 21 May 19:34

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/4986517/dave-mackay-paul-allan-released-dunfermline-fc/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Wanted to keep Allan but no budget for him. Clearly rookit. In for a long Summer.

Post Edited (Tue 21 May 19:35)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Skint
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 21 May 19:40

Yet we`re rumoured to be signing a striker who was contracted to a Premier League club last season.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Tue 21 May 19:46

This is worrying.

It`s also concerning that a member of the management team has come out and said it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Tue 21 May 19:47

did they not use similar chat when it came to todorov being released?

But yes it does not make great reading.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Tue 21 May 19:49

It does seem A strange thing to say… certainly doesn’t fill me with confidence going into the summer

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Tue 21 May 19:50

Ffs. It`s not rockets science - clubs need to operate with a clear budget and squad size. The board want to move players on to free up space for other players.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 21 May 19:51

I think the reference to `budgetary reasons` probably just means that, if you want to bring in new players, someone has to make way for them and the players who are out of contract are most vulnerable.

The Courier is saying Chris Kane will be confirmed as a signing in the next 24 hours. Miller Fenton will be offered training facilities as he recovers from injury although he has not been offered a contract. That`s a nice touch.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 May 19:53

The article says they wanted to keep him.

That`s worrying.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 21 May 19:56

What`s worrying is how dense some folk are

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Tue 21 May 19:57

Knicker ringing galore.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 May 20:01

I know there are a few clubs interested in him.

“It is very unfortunate that he is not being kept on. Again, that’s not through choice of myself and the manager.

A senior member of the management team saying that to the press before a summer window is worrying,
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Tue 21 May 20:03

Could be taken in two ways:

1. We have high earners on the books we cant release, meaning we have no excess budget

Or

2. We have a budget set out with X amount of money to improve the squad and players like Paul Allan arent being offered a deal out of sentiment.

Remember, nobody really knows what the club is doing in the moment - we may have offered nobody a contract, we may have 5/6 offers on the table. At least we now know the current squad size and set up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Tue 21 May 20:06

Would be shocked to see a championship team taking a punt on Allan

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Tue 21 May 20:52

He will go to Hamilton…

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 May 20:59

He`ll go to Kelty.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Tue 21 May 21:03

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 21 May 19:56

For someone that took umbrage at being called a bully, you have a funny way of disproving it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 May 21:23

Quote:

CrossPar, Tue 21 May 21:03

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 21 May 19:56

For someone that took umbrage at being called a bully, you have a funny way of disproving it.

Do you know what bullying is?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Tue 21 May 22:11

Honestly, please have a break from the internet if this kind of stuff worries you. We have a budget. Players need to go to free up room for different players otherwise we`d have the same squad. This isn`t conceptually difficult but then again we were all arguing about one result being a fine margin 48 hours ago.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 May 22:23

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Tue 21 May 22:11

Honestly, please have a break from the internet if this kind of stuff worries you. We have a budget. Players need to go to free up room for different players otherwise we`d have the same squad. This isn`t conceptually difficult but then again we were all arguing about one result being a fine margin 48 hours ago.

I`m fully aware of how a budget works,

It`s the assistant manager stating how they like him, they rate him, they want to keep him but it`s out of their hands and they are worried he may sign for a competitor.

At the start of a summer window, that is worrying.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 21 May 22:29

Quote:

weemike, Tue 21 May 22:23

Quote:

It`s the assistant manager stating how they like him, they rate him, they want to keep him but it`s out of their hands and they are worried he may sign for a competitor.

It really isn`t.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kdy Par  
Date:   Tue 21 May 22:35

Quote:

Quote:

I’d say it’s the total opposite. Instead of spending the wage budget on squad players it appears we want to improve the first XI.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 May 22:36

Quote:

PARrot, Tue 21 May 22:29

Quote:

Quote:

It really isn`t.

Why say it to the press then?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Tue 21 May 22:38

If I’m being honest I don’t think it was particularly helpful them coming out with that interview.

To openly admit they wanted a player to stay but were restricted by budget does nothing positive.

It sets concerns amongst the fan base as evidenced on this thread alone, at a time when we’re trying to push sales of season tickets. It won’t help with trying to bring players in if they know we’re financially cash strapped, does that limit how competitive we’re going to be next season.

Probably exaggerating but guess my point is, what positive can you take from putting an article like that out. If there isn’t any, then don’t really put it out at all.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Tue 21 May 23:02

1 million in the red for last seasons operational costs so they have to let players go…Imo I would just expect to see 2/3 signings added to the team and that’s it.
No chance we will be winning the league or playoff position but that’s part of the 10 year plan…consolidation in the Championship…

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 21 May 23:24

I`m not sure what the drama here is. If we had more money to burn things would be different. We want to improve the quality of our squad but still within a budget. Seems reasonable to me. If we want to sign a better striker tomorrow we need to let supposed lesser quality players go today.

It is, and always should be, about maximising what we get for what we pay.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Tue 21 May 23:26

Going to try to be optimistic and think it`s poor phrasing rather than financial dire straits. Hoping Mackay meant, `we couldn`t afford to keep him....[I]and get the players in we would like[/I]`.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 21 May 23:35

I`m not reading too much into that interview. It`s a poor one from Mackay, I think he is trying to give some praise and consolation to Allan, and say if we could afford to keep on a limitless supply of squad players they would
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 22 May 00:43

Quote:

Berry, Tue 21 May 22:38

If I’m being honest I don’t think it was particularly helpful them coming out with that interview.

To openly admit they wanted a player to stay but were restricted by budget does nothing positive.

It sets concerns amongst the fan base as evidenced on this thread alone, at a time when we’re trying to push sales of season tickets. It won’t help with trying to bring players in if they know we’re financially cash strapped, does that limit how competitive we’re going to be next season.

Probably exaggerating but guess my point is, what positive can you take from putting an article like that out. If there isn’t any, then don’t really put it out at all.

Exactly my thoughts too

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Wed 22 May 06:50

It does sound pretty worrying. Other clubs must be struggling to understand how a club with support a like ours is struggling so badly with budget. Things just don’t add up. It’s not like we have a squad of top earners. The team is severely average with an average manager. You just have to look at league position. Defeats in every derby etc. Prices up year on year but no real progress on the park. Some 7 year plan this is.

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 07:06

Yeah. Football, easy stuff.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Wed 22 May 07:30

My take on it is they have targets in mind and they cannot afford both. Paul and their potential targets. This is not unusual, it is how football works. They may have in their opinion better options than Paul. Dave is not going to say he is not good enough for the squad. I personally would have kept him however I think we should trust the management team and get behind their decisions. Time will tell 🏁🏁
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 22 May 07:36

Use your noggins. They`re not going to come out and go "we reckon we can get better for the same wages". End of story.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sjapar  
Date:   Wed 22 May 07:38

Madness to come out in the local paper and say you’d have liked to have kept a player but others have a contract so you have to keep them unfortunately .

Great way to get more fans along to east end park or sell more season tickets .

Yes fans /me understand there is a budget but Christ don’t come out in a local paper and tell everyone that the fans are in for a tough season as we’ve no cash for players .

Sja
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 22 May 07:49

Quote:

sjapar, Wed 22 May 07:38

Madness to come out in the local paper and say you’d have liked to have kept a player but others have a contract so you have to keep them unfortunately .

That`s not what Dave Mackay said though.,He only said he`d liked to have kept Paul. The last bit is your take on it.....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 08:18

It has been anticipated for weeks that, if we want to improve the quality of the squad, the players whose contracts were due to expire were vulnerable. When the assistant manager comes out and confirms that is the position he gets pelters. These are the tough decisions managers have to make in the real world. If some fans can`t handle it - too bad.

The manager could have given himself more scope if he had more contracts expiring this season and maybe that`s something he should consider going forward.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 22 May 08:25

Club working within its budget? Never?! That’ll never catch on.

I thought the article itself wasn’t worded well. Lots of repeating statements.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Wed 22 May 08:43

They might be saying the positive things about wanting to keep Allan as they might look to bring him back in if they can move on some players under contract.

We absolutely have to get it right on who we bring in this season, we’re still paying for the loyalty mcpake showed last season.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Wed 22 May 08:53

My interpretation - in an ideal world, we’d have kept Allan as cover. But, because we have to work to a budget, it makes more sense to move him on. We have guys younger than him (Hamilton, Otoo, Todd) who are better than he currently is and need to strengthen the team. For that reason, the budget we have, has to be spent on improving the team.

We will sign players this summer who demand a higher wage than Paul Allan. But he’s 24 now and probably wanting a better wage than we’re planning to pay our 4/5th choice midfielder. I don’t think it’s anything to panic about, but when you work to a budget you have to prioritise.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 08:53

Quote:

sjapar, Wed 22 May 07:38

Great way to get more fans along to east end park or sell more season tickets .

Yes fans /me understand there is a budget but Christ don’t come out in a local paper and tell everyone that the fans are in for a tough season as we’ve no cash for players .

Talk about taking an interview and interpreting into a complete fantasy to suit your own narrative 😂😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 09:49

Presumably if we get some significant cash in for Edwards there will be a positive impact on the recruitment budget?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Football_Par  
Date:   Wed 22 May 09:54

Topic Originator: par-91 like
Date: Wed 22 May 08:53

My interpretation - in an ideal world, we’d have kept Allan as cover. But, because we have to work to a budget, it makes more sense to move him on. We have guys younger than him (Hamilton, Otoo, Todd) who are better than he currently is and need to strengthen the team. For that reason, the budget we have, has to be spent on improving the team.

We will sign players this summer who demand a higher wage than Paul Allan. But he’s 24 now and probably wanting a better wage than we’re planning to pay our 4/5th choice midfielder. I don’t think it’s anything to panic about, but when you work to a budget you have to prioritise.

Courier had us linked with Mochrie, They dont usually say stuff like that unless someone from the club had leaked it to them.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 10:02

Quote:

Football_Par, Wed 22 May 09:54

Topic Originator: par-91 like
Date: Wed 22 May 08:53

Courier had us linked with Mochrie, They dont usually say stuff like that unless someone from the club had leaked it to them.

Don`t forget agents talk too

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Back_oh_the_net  
Date:   Wed 22 May 12:30

Anyone getting upset/worried at us letting a player go who’s been here 6 years and had multiple loan spells that were aimed at improving him as a player yet he still cant hold down a regular first team place due to him not being good enough (if he was good enough he’d be in the team every week) in order to Free up a bit of the budget to bring better players in needs to step away from football for a bit
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Wed 22 May 12:56

My optimistic view of this is that we have already agreed terms with 2 or 3 players and are waiting till end of contracts on the 31st May to formally announce them.

This would explain why some of the outstanding budget has already been used up and hence the reason there isn`t enough for Paul Allan

Post Edited (Wed 22 May 12:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KnebworthPar  
Date:   Wed 22 May 15:18

Shame to see a local lad and fan released. We would all have wished we were in his shoes during his time here and all hoped he would have made a great success of it. However he’s 24 and if he can’t hold down a 1st team spot by now then I don’t think it’s unreasonable he’s been released. There are a couple of younger players ahead of him in the 1st team queue so I really don’t see what the big issue is. I also hope he pushes on and proves the club wrong to release him. Best of luck to the lad.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 15:22

It all unfortunately comes down to money. We don`t have the luxury of maintaining a large number of squad players but equally need to watch we don`t end up in a situation like last season where we always get relegated due to having limited options outside our first team. I`d probably have kept Allan but no-one on here is aware of his salary or any stipulations he might have in it. It may be it`s been indicated he wouldn`t be getting the first team minutes he wants or we could only offer £X per week.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 22 May 15:35

Quote:

Back_oh_the_net, Wed 22 May 12:30

Anyone getting upset/worried at us letting a player go who’s been here 6 years and had multiple loan spells that were aimed at improving him as a player yet he still cant hold down a regular first team place due to him not being good enough (if he was good enough he’d be in the team every week) in order to Free up a bit of the budget to bring better players in needs to step away from football for a bit

What a heartless post. Whether you rate the player or not, why do you feel the need to put the boot in to a local lad who tried his best whenever he was asked to play and who had a pretty unlucky time of it with injuries. You couldn`t meet a nicer lad, btw, although I accept that that has no bearing or relevance with regard to his ability.

Dave Mackay certainly appears to rate him - perhaps you`re a better judge of a player than him? Maybes aye, maybes naw, eh? Other posters have pointed out that he brought some unique qualities to the team. I can`t help thinking that if every player in the squad had come to the end of his contract, Paul would have been offered a new deal.

Releasing players who are out of contract is always the easiest option. AJ did it when he came in. McPake did it last season and this.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Wed 22 May 16:52

opic Originator: Back_oh_the_net like
Date: Wed 22 May 12:30

This 100%. He`s simply not good enough. If he was he`d have been kept on.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 17:38

Paul Allan featured in 27 league matches this season he started 18 and was subbed in 9 times.

We won 9 drew 10 and lost 8,

Average points per game 1.37

The squad played 36. Won 11 drew 12 and lost 13.

Average points per game 1.25

When paul never featured

W2 D2 L5

Average points per game 0.89

He is a decent championship footballer and our squad is currently weaker without him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Wed 22 May 17:54

Quote:

weemike, Wed 22 May 17:38

Paul Allan featured in 27 league matches this season he started 18 and was subbed in 9 times.

We won 9 drew 10 and lost 8,

Average points per game 1.37

The squad played 36. Won 11 drew 12 and lost 13.

Average points per game 1.25

When paul never featured

W2 D2 L5

Average points per game 0.89

He is a decent championship footballer and our squad is currently weaker without him.

Any squad with Joe Chalmers is weak

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsdaft  
Date:   Wed 22 May 18:26

Don’t forget the £20k the fans contribute monthly
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Wed 22 May 18:28

Allan is a decent player but if we aim to progress it a position we need to strengthen in and Allan can be upgraded.
I think as mentioned quite a bit, Allan would be kept over Chalmers however Chalmers remains under contract.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 May 18:49

Is there really any need for yet another thread to turn into what seems like a witch hunt against Joe Chalmers? Guys like him and Paul Allan actually helped us through a grim spell when other players were unavailable through injury or had to play out of position. Joe might be asked to do the same this season but all we seem to get on here is a constant stream of criticism of a guy who is by all accounts a model professional.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Wed 22 May 19:31

The boy who wrote the article covers Raith and us, and think his alliances lie there.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kyle DAFC  
Date:   Thu 23 May 00:44

It’s not a witch hunt against Joe Chalmers. I think it’s pretty obvious if Chalmers was out of contract along with Allan then Allan had a far better chance of being offered a deal.

In my opinion for how much Mcpake bangs on about wanting local lads who understand what the clubs mean, we should’ve kept him. As for not holding down a regular place in the team, Allan was 8th in the team for most minutes played this season.

I think Mckay’s interview was worded very poorly and agree that it didn’t really help at all.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 00:50

It may be pretty obvious to you but it`s also pretty obvious the manager values Chalmers and his contribution to the squad. He`s under contract and should be no part of this argument. Some fans just can`t let any opportunity pass to have a go at the guy for some reason.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kyle DAFC  
Date:   Thu 23 May 00:53

Chalmers played more minutes than Allan and had 3 less goal involvements. I wouldn’t be shocked if a team came in for him we’d be happy to send him on his way, although I’d be shocked if a team did come in for him.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 18:59

I would say, from what I`ve seen of both players, Chalmers is the better of the two
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Thu 23 May 19:35

Did Joe Chalmers have a hand in training the young lads who won the Reserve Trophy v Livingston?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 20:26

Quote:

steaua, Thu 23 May 19:35

Did Joe Chalmers have a hand in training the young lads who won the Reserve Trophy v Livingston?

Possibly, he was definitely involved in assisting them in some games this season. Wouldn`t surprise me, as he`s highly thought of behind the scenes and that doesn`t happen for no good reason.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 23 May 21:02

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 23 May 00:50

It may be pretty obvious to you but it`s also pretty obvious the manager values Chalmers and his contribution to the squad. He`s under contract and should be no part of this argument. Some fans just can`t let any opportunity pass to have a go at the guy for some reason.

Can we stop praising said player for what he may or may not have done, and is no part of this argument.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 21:20

I must have missed the praise.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 21:21

It`s very much relevant though if you take the view that squad harmony and being a good influence in the dressing room is an important part of football - which I think most people who aren`t chronically online or living inside Football Manager would at least concede to agreeing with. Clearly the most important thing is performances on the pitch but there`s more to it than that.

Or maybe we should go back to the John Hughes approach of alienating half the squad and sliding into the third tier again.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 21:29

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Thu 23 May 21:02

Quote:

Can we stop praising said player for what he may or may not have done, and is no part of this argument.

Aye, positive praise of the most respected professional in the squad is strictly forbidden. Only negative comments are allowed when discussing Chalmers
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 23 May 21:55

Quote:

red-star-par, Thu 23 May 21:29

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Thu 23 May 21:02

Quote:

Aye, positive praise of the most respected professional in the squad is strictly forbidden. Only negative comments are allowed when discussing Chalmers

The most respected professional ,says who ? Anyway it`s not on topic ,as Wee Eck says

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 May 22:01

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Thu 23 May 21:21

It`s very much relevant though if you take the view that squad harmony and being a good influence in the dressing room is an important part of football - which I think most people who aren`t chronically online or living inside Football Manager would at least concede to agreeing with. Clearly the most important thing is performances on the pitch but there`s more to it than that.

Or maybe we should go back to the John Hughes approach of alienating half the squad and sliding into the third tier again.

You are well behind the times if you think FM isn’t more relatable to real world these days 😂 squad harmony and dynamics are a massive part of the game now
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Tue 28 May 08:37

Quote:

Dave_1885, Thu 23 May 22:01

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Thu 23 May 21:21

You are well behind the times if you think FM isn’t more relatable to real world these days 😂 squad harmony and dynamics are a massive part of the game now

And the fact that clubs much higher than us use their database etc for youth talent. But let`s not let that get in the way of a good moan.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 28 May 11:04

You`re the one slating our own player FFS.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Fri 31 May 17:36

“The way football works, there’s budgets and there are things you need to do and certain areas of the team you need to strengthen at different points.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/4996771/dunfermline-boss-james-mcpake-axed-midfielder-difficult/

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 May 17:56

I think that`s a more honest account of what happened than Dave Mackay suggesting it was out of the management team`s hands. We`ll have to see who comes in to replace him before we can judge if it was the right decision.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Fri 31 May 19:37

There are a couple of lads moving up from the reserve team squad into the main group this summer. Sutherland and another. Possible that cash goes towards their contracts. I wouldn’t be surprised if we only signed another 1-2 players. We unfortunately can’t compete with the outlay of the Rovers at this moment in time. They will have a better squad than ourselves heading into the new season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Fri 31 May 19:55

Quote:

Bannockburn Par, Fri 31 May 19:37

There are a couple of lads moving up from the reserve team squad into the main group this summer. Sutherland and another. Possible that cash goes towards their contracts. I wouldn’t be surprised if we only signed another 1-2 players. We unfortunately can’t compete with the outlay of the Rovers at this moment in time. They will have a better squad than ourselves heading into the new season.

So one or two signings? One of those must be a keeper so only 1 outfield player if that`s the case then we are conceding next season already
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Fri 31 May 20:04

Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par like
Date: Fri 31 May 19:37

IF thats true its not a case of being unable to afford players, its a case of being unwilling, and that would be a major problem for the BoD to justify.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 May 20:31

It could be possible that we can`t afford them and hence the board are unwilling.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 May 20:42

If we are unable afford the best talent in this division with the best crowds something has gone badly wrong.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Fri 31 May 20:55

The playing wage bills of both clubs are very similar, and we might be slightly higher
Our problem is our higher earners leave little room for leeway when attracting others
Raiths 3 seasons of higher prize money has enabled them to pay performance bonuses whilst keeping a fairly even basic wage across their first team squad
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Fri 31 May 20:55

pars4life1 wrote:

> If we are unable afford the best talent in this division with
> the best crowds something has gone badly wrong.
>
>

Like focusing on the White elephant they call an Academy? The owners do appear to be putting everything into that and forgetting the actual team!

The academy is only really going to work if we have a strong successful team worth emulating. You aren’t going to attract a decent calibre of player if you are floating between first and the Championship all the time!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 May 21:07

The point of the academy is to produce our own players from a grass routes level and provide a pathway to the 1st team.

A natural progression from u10`s to under 21`s and beyond. I don`t think it`ll be to compete with Hearts, Hibs, and the old firm for the best youngsters. The cream will naturally rise to the top and go to the bigger clubs.

With regards to the finances we are chasing our tails due to being in league 1 on a championship budget.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: k76  
Date:   Fri 31 May 21:12

DAFC are no different to how we live, spend less than your income.

Put a bit aside for retirement and you will be happy.

It’s simple we have no sugar daddy.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 May 21:22

Is it tomorrow the transfer window officially opens? Some have written us off already!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 May 21:24

The point of the academy is to produce our own players from a grass routes level and provide a pathway to the 1st team.

A natural progression from u10`s to under 21`s and beyond. I don`t think it`ll be to compete with Hearts, Hibs, and the old firm for the best youngsters. The cream will naturally rise to the top and go to the bigger clubs.

Problem with that is those clubs don`t just take the best talent, they take the 2nd 3rd 4th rate talent and beyond, most of who won`t play professionally as a career.

Also there`s zero benefit to growing our own players if they are not better than those that drop out of those systems of bigger clubs.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 May 21:38

Problem with that is those clubs don`t just take the best talent, they take the 2nd 3rd 4th rate talent and beyond, most of who won`t play professionally as a career.

Also there`s zero benefit to growing our own players if they are not better than those that drop out of those systems of bigger clubs.

The point is to develop them and coach them ourselves,

Players don`t become ready-made. They are developed and coached,

These then become the foundation for our first team. With the odd one or two being sold. Rinse and repeat.

There is enough young footballers in the central belt for us to develop. Without having to worry about the amazingly naturally gifted 8 year olds going to Rangers and celtic.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 May 21:54

So we take the 10 year old who has been missed, by 12 he`s gone for virtually nothing , we have a 12 year old who looks good, by 15 if he continues progressing then gone for a few grand. They sign pro-forms at 16 and you`ve got to put a fantastic offer in front of them, case in point being PJ crossan, there was no doubt he`d accept the Celtic offer as soon it was offered, we couldn`t compete even tho he wasn`t good enough to make it FT

your not just trying to sign to 8 year olds looked over, your also trying to prevent every single u16 from leaving when ever the **** they want for buttons. The a
Standard of academy and the funding it takes to make sure it generates premiership capable players takes and incredible amount of money, far beyond what`s being provided.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 May 22:20

The Standard of Academy and the funding it takes to make sure it generates premiership capable players takes and incredible amount of money, far beyond what`s being provided.

Of course it takes resources, and will take time/years to come to fruition, maybe 10+ years.

But do we continue to do what we`ve done for the last 40 years? Or do we try something new?

I personally think that all clubs should have youth teams. The term Acadamy is used very loosely at the moment I feel.

But the difference with us is that it will be in the managers remit and squad makeup that the youth feature.

3 members minimum (Tod,Todd, and McCann) are part of our first team squad. In a couple of years, that might be up to 5-7.

Saying that to a youngster will possibly persuade them to stay with us.

We need to build the reputation as a team who plays and promotes from youth. Once we have that and the facilities, then it`ll start to pay dividends
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 31 May 22:51

100% weemike. It`s widely accepted football in Scotland is unsustainable if simply buying in players and praying for a cup run. Many clubs have seen what happens when the money men walk away. An academy is one way, another is to make best use of your assets (for example, EEP). We`ve sold naming rights, increased advertising and brought back function rental. There`s not much else that can be done with EEP now. There was talk many moons ago of a hotel but I don`t think that`s sustainable.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net