DAFC.net
Home 09 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Tonali
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 12:01

The Newcastle player banned for 10 months!

Appeal incoming?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Tonali
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 12:24

What`s the odds on getting it reduced?

“.........it ain’t over till the Pars score!”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 12:53

I believe the 10 months was already negotiated. Originally it was expected to be 3-4 years.

I’ve read though NUFC are considering suing AC Milan as they believe they knew there was an upcoming issue when they sold him.

Post Edited (Thu 26 Oct 12:55)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 13:40

Newcastle are my “ bit on the side” so to speak. I’m not losing sleep over it and I sense that the majority of Toon fans think likewise. Feel sorry for the guy but, after a bright start, he’s been disappointing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 13:52

Newcastle will find it hard to prove that Milan knew anything
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 14:16

Suppose the person who would know best whether Milan knew or not would be Tonali himself so Newcastle can just ask him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 14:22

The agreement consists of a 10-month ban plus eight months of rehab activities and at least 16 public appearances, advising youngsters of the dangers.

he is allowed to train and play in friendlies

The FA could learn a little from the punishment handed out

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 14:29

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Thu 26 Oct 13:52

Newcastle will find it hard to prove that Milan knew anything

You’re right, it could take years and a shed load of money. While the Saudis have the cash it’s whether they think it’s worth it. A bit more due diligence it future transfers maybe.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 14:54

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 26 Oct 14:22

The agreement consists of a 10-month ban plus eight months of rehab activities and at least 16 public appearances, advising youngsters of the dangers.

he is allowed to train and play in friendlies

The FA could learn a little from the punishment handed out

Agreed. There have been some ignorant, stereotypical and prejudicial statements on this thread already. Tonali risked a ban of up to 3 years, which has been reduced because he has cooperated fully with the investigation, admitting he bet on his team to win in some games but never to lose.

Contrast that with Ivan Toney`s 8 month ban, after being found guilty of 230+ offences, including betting against his own team.......

https://football-italia.net/fagioli-seven-month-ban-toney-eight-but-so-many-differences/

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Thu 26 Oct 14:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 15:35

Topic Originator: Jeffery
Date: Thu 26 Oct 14:16

Suppose the person who would know best whether Milan knew or not would be Tonali himself so Newcastle can just ask him…

Omertà

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 16:21

The Newcastle player can`t have any complaints as he knows that footballers aren`t allowed to gamble.

That piece of guidance is sponsored by their corporate partners - Fun88, BetMGM and Sportsbet.io

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 16:26

“ There have been some ignorant, stereotypical and prejudicial statements on this thread already”

Really GG Riva? Where?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 17:33

Quote:

1985Par, Thu 26 Oct 16:26

“ There have been some ignorant, stereotypical and prejudicial statements on this thread already”

Really GG Riva? Where?

You need to go back and read them more carefully, 1985. Tonali`s Italian - Italians are all dodgy and corrupt, Milan knew, etc.

Why do folk think he got off lightly, when he was looking at a 3 year ban? Comparisons are odious, but Toney got off more lightly, considering the number and nature of his offences.

Having said that, both players are believed to have a gambling addiction. Having experienced this myself as a young man, I feel they should be treated with compassion rather than condemnation. Nobody chooses to become addicted to anything - it happens before you realise it.

As I recall, when I won, it was always my round - when I lost, I lost alone. 😞

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 18:32

From bbc news

Sandro Tonali: Newcastle and Italy midfielder banned for 10 months for breaching betting rules https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67201451

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 18:34

I realise that people get issues with gambling but it is not as if footballers are banned from gambling just gambling on football. You can gamble on almost anything so not sure if it`s a massive excuse to be an addict to start betting on your own team/sport.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 18:53

He got some reception when he came on last night. Toon Fans I was speaking to are gutted, that his season is over, but I was delighted his last game was a defeat 😊

Post Edited (Thu 26 Oct 18:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NiallDAFC  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 19:18

If he’s got an addiction then it won’t matter to him what sport he’s betting on. He’ll be betting on whatever will give him the rush he needs. Win or lose the next bets going on regardless. He needs help and support.
Paul Merson has been very open about his addiction to gambling and his interview with PieFace or probably any other interview he’s done recently is well worth watching.
Banning the players doesn’t help them in anyway, especially the younger players playing at lower levels.
As he’s said, they can’t come out and ask for help without being banned. Lower league clubs will just sack said players if they get a ban and they don’t earn the 10s of thousands a week to support their families.
The attitude towards gambling needs to change across the whole of society, not just footballers out there struggling to cope with their addictions.
It doesn’t matter how much money you earn, the numbers on the slips mean very little. In the end the bookie always wins, but you’ll be back to do it all again tomorrow or the next time you feel low.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 20:55

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 26 Oct 17:33

Quote:

Really GG Riva? Where?

You need to go back and read them more carefully, 1985. Tonali`s Italian - Italians are all dodgy and corrupt, Milan knew, etc.

Why do folk think he got off lightly, when he was looking at a 3 year ban? Comparisons are odious, but Toney got off more lightly, considering the number and nature of his offences.

Having said that, both players are believed to have a gambling addiction. Having experienced this myself as a young man, I feel they should be treated with compassion rather than condemnation. Nobody chooses to become addicted to anything - it happens before you realise it.

I’ve read my posts again carefully and the others. I’m struggling to find any inference of “all Italians are dodgy and corrupt “

I read an article that suggested NUFC were likely to sue AC Milan but heard on the ITN news tonight that course of action is unlikely.

I think you’re being a little over sensitive here.

Post Edited (Thu 26 Oct 20:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Thu 26 Oct 22:16

Quote:

Quote:

Really GG Riva? Where?

Yeah, if you`re referring to this particular thread, you`re just making things up GG

Absolutely no stereotypes on this thread whatsoever.....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 06:19

Rather than making things up, I think it`s more about the way I`ve interpreted - or misinterpreted - some posts. Maybe I have been over sensitive, and my accusations are totally over the top. Had I not rushed in to defend my fellow countrymen, I might have taken a more balanced view.

I got off on the wrong foot right away.

LA - appeal incoming?

(Why is he suggesting that? He`s already been given a lenient sentence, by Italian standards. He must think Tonali will try to weasel out of even that.)

AP - What`s the odds on it getting reduced?

(Why would Tonali be trying to get his ban reduced? Is he suggesting this because he`s Italian?)

WP - Newcastle.... believe Milan knew there was an issue.

(And they still sold him? Must be because they`re run by unscrupulous Italians, then?)

You can perhaps see how my over sensitive mind sought out nuances that don`t really exist. Having slept on it, I extend my apologies to all three respected posters.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 06:43

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 27 Oct 06:19

Rather than making things up, I think it`s more about the way I`ve interpreted - or misinterpreted - some posts. Maybe I have been over sensitive, and my accusations are totally over the top. Had I not rushed in to defend my fellow countrymen, I might have taken a more balanced view.

I got off on the wrong foot right away.

LA - appeal incoming?

(Why is he suggesting that? He`s already been given a lenient sentence, by Italian standards. He must think Tonali will try to weasel out of even that.)

AP - What`s the odds on it getting reduced?

(Why would Tonali be trying to get his ban reduced? Is he suggesting this because he`s Italian?)

WP - Newcastle.... believe Milan knew there was an issue.

(And they still sold him? Must be because they`re run by unscrupulous Italians, then?)

You can perhaps see how my over sensitive mind sought out nuances that don`t really exist. Having slept on it, I extend my apologies to all three respected posters.

Good man GG 👍
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 09:58

Quote:

Quote:

Really GG Riva? Where?

No problem 👍
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 10:44

GG- I had no intention of landing you in a stooshie when I questioned your original comment. I thought you were having a pop at me regarding my comments on Tonali, which, on reflection, could be construed as a bit disparaging and unfair. However your gracious apology speaks volumes.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 10:58

Eddie Howe thinks Tonali may be available to play for Newcastle this weekend.

From BBC Sport :-

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe says there is a "high chance" Sandro Tonali can play against Wolves on Saturday despite receiving a 10-month ban from football. Howe said the club are in "limbo" as they await confirmation of the ban. The 23-year-old was banned by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) on Thursday for breaching betting rules.

"We`ve heard the news, the statement, but we haven`t had anything from the Italian authorities at the moment," Howe said on Friday. "I think there`s a high chance again that he could be available for us. I still think there are a few things that have to happen before the ban is imposed, so let`s see."

The ban is yet to be approved by governing bodies Uefa and Fifa. The FIGC said the Italy midfielder had breached a rule that prohibits players placing bets on football events organised by FIGC, Uefa and Fifa, and he has also been fined 20,000 euros (£17,380). It added that the federal prosecutor and Tonali had agreed to an 18-month disqualification, eight months of which will be commuted to "a therapeutic plan" to help "recovery from gambling addiction".

Reports have suggested Tonali will still be able to train with Newcastle despite the ban, but Howe said "we don`t know" if that is the case.

Post Edited (Fri 27 Oct 11:03)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 27 Oct 12:32

Quote:

1985Par, Fri 27 Oct 10:44

GG- I had no intention of landing you in a stooshie when I questioned your original comment. I thought you were having a pop at me regarding my comments on Tonali, which, on reflection, could be construed as a bit disparaging and unfair. However your gracious apology speaks volumes.

1985 - The "stooshie" was entirely of my own making, no fault or blame was attributable to you or anyone else on this thread. I`m obviously more sensitive than I like to believe. If I was looking for the cause of this heightened sensitivity, I`d lay the blame at the feet of those who think Italy and all Italians are synonymous with the Mafia, corruption, catenaccio and cynical defenders....

Funnily enough, the Godfather was American, and Claudio Gentile was born in Libya.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net