DAFC.net
Home 16 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Highlights Arbroath James McPake, Craig Wighton
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 15:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA_0R-359Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9to3NmvvSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3smfXrouz4

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Highlights Arbroath James McPake, Craig Wighton
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 16:44

The highlights actually illustrate the contribution players like Chalmers and Wighton make to the team. It strikes me that a lot of the criticism they get is because some fans judge them against the type of players they would like them to be rather than the type of players they are.

Chalmers isn`t an all-singing, all-dancing type of midfield player who is going to make crunching tackles, beat a couple of players and get beyond the strikers to crash the ball into the net. His basic role is to retain possession and if there is no one available for a forward pass he will quite happily pass the ball sideways or backwards. Similar types of player, much better than him and playing for much better teams than the Pars, are quite common in professional football.

Wighton does not have the pace and physique of an Erling Haaland but he does have a good touch and awareness of what`s going on around him and where his team-mates are. He missed a few chances last night but at least he was in position to miss them and the two goals he scored were the sort of opportunistic strikes we have been lacking all season. If we ever signed the elusive 20-goal-a-season striker some fans think is the obvious solution to our goal-scoring problem I`m sure he would score a few like that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 16:53

Chalmers is also deceptively good in the air. Often wins his aerial challenges.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 17:02

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 29 Nov 16:44

The highlights actually illustrate the contribution players like Chalmers and Wighton make to the team. It strikes me that a lot of the criticism they get is because some fans judge them against the type of players they would like them to be rather than the type of players they are.

Chalmers isn`t an all-singing, all-dancing type of midfield player who is going to make crunching tackles, beat a couple of players and get beyond the strikers to crash the ball into the net. His basic role is to retain possession and if there is no one available for a forward pass he will quite happily pass the ball sideways or backwards. Similar types of player, much better than him and playing for much better teams than the Pars, are quite common in professional football.

Wighton does not have the pace and physique of an Erling Haaland but he does have a good touch and awareness of what`s going on around him and where his team-mates are. He missed a few chances last night but at least he was in position to miss them and the two goals he scored almwere the sort of opportunistic strikes we have been lacking all season. If we ever signed the elusive 20-goal-a-season striker some fans think is the obvious solution to our goal-scoring problem I`m sure he would score a few like that.

agree with this chalmers will occasionally play the wrong pass out of how many and the groans are incredible. Out of the current squad who is capable or willing to go and take the ball in any situation with opposition players round about him.

Second half he played some great through balls especially for McCann.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 17:28

Good post wee eck

I am a big Chalmers fan he keeps posession and can see a defence splitting pass
He also wins balls in midfield that dont get much appreciation

Every team needs a Chalmers .. I think it was GG on here couple of years back who compared his role similar to that of Neil Lennon

I dont know how bad Arbroath are just now but we could have scored 6 or 7 last night .. COYP

Any news on RH ?

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 17:49

After watching the highlights its pretty clear we missed more chances than we scored , start converting even a portion of these we will be fine

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 18:02

Quote:

Buspasspar, Wed 29 Nov 17:28

Good post wee eck

I am a big Chalmers fan he keeps posession and can see a defence splitting pass
He also wins balls in midfield that dont get much appreciation

Every team needs a Chalmers .. I think it was GG on here couple of years back who compared his role similar to that of Neil Lennon

I dont know how bad Arbroath are just now but we could have scored 6 or 7 last night .. COYP

Any news on RH ?

Guilty as charged, BPP. 😌

Joe isn`t a flashy player, but he has an important role in the team. Every team needs a player who can retain possession and has the awareness to find a teammate with a telling pass. It doesn`t always come off for him, but we`re not Man City.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 19:18

This is a post from Indiapar on another thread but I don`t think he will mind me sharing

Topic Originator: Indiapar like
Date: Wed 29 Nov 12:27

"I like Chalmers and Aaron Comrie. The generally perform at a consistent level. You need those players in the team. I think Chalmers would play fewer sideways passes if there was more movement upfront. I think he tries to be efficient with the ball. When Wighton, Jakubiak and OHalloran came on there was greater movement off the ball and more forward passing options that I thought he played when the opportunity arose."

One of the most sensible and reasoned posts I have read on here

Post Edited (Wed 29 Nov 20:17)
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 19:48

Except for Joe`s name.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 20:10

To be fair, the game opened up a bit and therefore there were more opportunities to play forward passes into our front men
First half, Arbroath were 5-4-1 out of possession and didn’t leave too many gaps for the Pars to exploit

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 20:14

Ken eet but we all knew who he meant .. edited to help ye sleep the night

Post Edited (Wed 29 Nov 20:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 20:35

Quote:

Buspasspar, Wed 29 Nov 20:14

Ken eet but we all knew who he meant .. edited to help ye sleep the night

Never slept last night well at all in fairness. Here`s hoping this helps.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 20:56

LOL !! .. a couple oh drams does it for me .. take care EET

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Wed 29 Nov 23:41

I`ve always liked Joe Chalmers. He does indeed contribute something unique to the team. He has good positional sense and if given the space and time can orchestrate a game from midfield. On Friday night, the guy behind me in the Norrie was absolutely raging and spitting blood in his absolute need to find a scapegoat for the defeat and you guessed it, the scapegoat was Joe. Completely unjustified.

Craig Wighton can be a very frustrating player because sometimes it looks like he`s half paced and not too physically involved in the game. But he has scored some vital goals for us. He got into so many good positions last night that it would have been no surprise at all if he had scored five. He really should have netted five goals. That would have made him our top scorer at this stage of the season. If he can improve on the physical side of his game and get a bit more confidence in front of goal he could just about be that free scoring striker we all want.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 30 Nov 16:21

Paralex I would have been happy if he had scored one more as I had a 4-0 in the prediction league :-((

Hope you are well

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Thu 30 Nov 20:34

Just imagine the boost to Craig`s confidence if he netted five in half a game BPP but as you say, even 3 would be great. I`m fine but really gutted that Tranent were knocked out of the cup. But also looking forward to the QP game on Saturday.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Digs  
Date:   Fri 1 Dec 10:06

I keep reading about the chances Wighton `should have scored` and I`m wondering what people were watching tbh.

One of the chances was passed behind him and he was stretching for it, doing well to even make contact. Another was smashed into him by McCann at knee/thigh height making it very difficult to get a good contact on and then keep the ball down as well as direct it.

Some people don`t seem to realise just how difficult it is to take balls like that and finish them off.

As has been mentioned, the two goals he did score were really good strikers goals, being in the right place at the right time. I`ve seen both of these goals denigrated as being easy but it takes an instinct to be in the position to react to them in the first place. Also, it`s worth a reminder that he played the passes to get the likes of McCann, Jakubiak and Edwards and into a position to be able to cross the ball in anyway.

Regarding Chalmers, I can`t really add much more than has already been said but he gets so much unwarranted stick. There is very little said about the good work he does but every small error is turned into a catastrophe that it really isn`t.

He`s one of our most consistent performers as he was last year, when he got 16 assists and would have won POTY any other season. He`s not box to box, but he works hard, uses the ball well for the most part, retains possession well and when he does give the ball away, it`s down to having to force a pass due to lack of options. Even when it`s not, he`s a Scottish Championship player, he will give the ball away from time to time.

Stair Maistreas na Beatha
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SevenTay  
Date:   Fri 1 Dec 13:24

Very astute analysis Digs regarding Wighton and Chalmers. Exactly how I see it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Dec 14:54

Good Post Digs .. similar here

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Sat 2 Dec 11:33

Definitely agreed that Wighton`s other chances were difficult. When he`s in a vein of form, though, he has the ability to convert chances out of nothing.

The first goal by Edwards was an excellent finish on the run by a volley from a tight angle with Gaston in position. Edwards made it look easy -- that was not easy.

I note that others mentioned the foul in the buildup on McCann, but the ref did not appear to be playing advantage. That was about as clear a foul for a spot kick as I can imagine -- player sliding in, wrong side of ball, did not touch ball.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net