DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Keepers playing outfield
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 17:33

I note that Arbroath ran out of outfield players at Stark’s today (Macca had used two of his four subs at half-time, which seemed a little risky) and ended up being forced to play their sub keeper Ali Adams outfield - he promptly scored a worldie.

There haven’t been many examples of goalkeepers playing outfield that I can think of.

Westie got a runout at Airdrie a good few years ago.

David James once came on outfield for Man City. I think. [edit - in the last game of the season when they needed a goal v Middlesbrough]

As I posted a couple of weeks ago Bobby Clark (Aberdeen and Scotland keeper) is said to have started a game for the Dons at centre-half having played a few times outfield for the reserves having lost his first team place to Ernie McGarr.

I’ve a feeling Keith MacRae (Motherwell and Man City) might have done something similar.

Any others?

In the days before huge benches, outfield players going in goals was much more common – I can think of Paul Smith taking over the gloves a couple of times, and Auzzie McCann conceding a couple of goals late on in a cup-replay via Montrose. And of course Stevie “Zico” Morrison had to play as keeper from the start when Clydebank were imploding.

Post Edited (Sat 30 Dec 17:35)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Keepers playing outfield
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 17:40

https://twitter.com/i/status/1741139236219154848

Some strike!

The David James one was a tactical move by Stuart Pearce if I remember correctly and wasn`t enforced🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 17:47

And Pearce had Jon Macken on the bench which made him look even more idiotic!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 17:50

Wow, some strike and at least 35 yards out !

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 17:55

We could be playing all ours very soon

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 17:57

Quote:

parathletic, Sat 30 Dec 17:40

https://twitter.com/i/status/1741139236219154848

Some strike!

The David James one was a tactical move by Stuart Pearce if I remember correctly and wasn`t enforced🤣

Yeah James said in a podcast that it was meant to throw the opposition off guard and was a plan he heard about a couple of days prior I think! Wild from Pearce but if it worked would’ve been claimed as a master stroke
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 18:10

Max Little used to be a central defender the way things are going we might need him

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 18:33

"I’ve a feeling Keith MacRae (Motherwell and Man City) might have done something similar."

He played every outfield position for Motherwell at one point or another - except outside left................if memory serves.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 19:20

Westy never scored but watching him running around like a headless chicken at Broadwood was comedy gold

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 20:14

Alan Rough played a few games outfield while player/manager at Glenafton Athletic as a left back.

During one game he was subbed and a few minutes later the Glenafton keeper was sent off and another Glens player had to play in goals.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 20:40

Other way round but Robbie Winters played a Scottish Cup final in goals.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 22:14

Jim Herriot, after being injured, did play left wing against Dundee in 1966. He had a a god shot at goal but we lost 1-0 from memory. I have no idea who took over in goal. Maybe Jim Thomson?

Bobby Clark of Aberdeen is an astonishing example of a goalkeeper`s fortunes since he had been capped by Scotland then lost his place following a 5-1 defeat at EEP. He ended up playing outfield for the reserves whilst his replacement- Ernie McGarr later of the Pars - played so well that he was himself selected for Scotland for a couple of games.

Yet within a year Clark was back between the sticks and broke the UK record of shut outs until he faced a Joe Baker retro game in 1971 at Easter Road. Quite a story. Clark regained his place in the Scottish team as well and later added a League Cup and Championship medal to the Scottish Cup Medal he had won in 1970. Not bad for a makeshift centre half who was once brought on to mark Colin Stein, which he did rather well in a 1-1 draw.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 22:25

Son,unfortunately Raith,said it was worldclass goal and he and others applauded it at the game.
I stopped taking him when Munro took over from Leishman and returned with Paton so my mate snatched him.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 00:15

Reminds me of James McFaddens goal against France..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 07:31

Possibly one of the greatest goals a keeper has scored. A 95th minute goal by Oscarine Masuleke to equalise a few seasons ago in the PSL here. https://www.facebook.com/share/v/VRoVt7hGimrT1xor/?mibextid=KsPBc6

Post Edited (Sun 31 Dec 07:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsdaft  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 07:37

What it confirms is that if you don’t shoot you don’t score. One of the things we are not great at is getting a shot away early.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 09:21

Apparently Ali Adams has scored a few spectacular goals playing as an outfielder in the lower leagues, including a 55 yard free kick for Tranent against Inverkeithing Swifts.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 12:11

On the theme of keepers scoring - one that Scarborough fans will never want reminded off !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYY0hEwwiXc

1 goal from three appearances is a decent strike rate !!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 18:00

Chris Sutton has mentioned Adams goal against Raith on the Radio 5 phone-in and also mentioned his 55-yarder for Tranent. To his credit Sutton is always sticking up for Scottish football possibly because, unlike most English pundits, he did actually play up here.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 18:11

I have saw Westie play centre forward for the Pars at Airdrieonians and John Martin for Bathgate Thistle in a cup game against Oakley United at Blairwood Park. Both came on as second half substitutes.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 18:16

Just watched the goal on Raith website, it`s a beauty!

Also saw that there`s no link for tickets for Tuesdays game, have they sold out?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 18:18

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 31 Dec 18:16

Just watched the goal on Raith website, it`s a beauty!

Also saw that there`s no link for tickets for Tuesdays game, have they sold out?

Tickets are sold on Pars website via the “away fans” section - same as when we go there, we buy from their site 👍🏻
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cumbrian par  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 18:55

“On the theme of keepers scoring - one that Scarborough fans will never want reminded off !!!

1 goal from three appearances is a decent strike rate !!!”

I was there that highly emotional day. It looks like Carlisle United will need another miracle this season!

Post Edited (Sun 31 Dec 18:56)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 18:55

Carlisle`s keeper Jimmy Glass comes for a corner in the last seconds and scores to stop Carlisle being relegated .. will never forget that .. lived in Carlisle back then

The goal was also ranked 7th in The Times newspaper`s list of the 50 most important goals in football history

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 19:01

Hope this fixes it Cumbrian par ..

Post Edited (Sun 31 Dec 19:03)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: p4r5f4n  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 19:05

I seem to remember Eddie Connachan lobbing the Alloa keeper from his own box. Over sixty years ago so a bit hazy.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net