DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Edinburgh City FC
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Fri 22 Dec 19:59

I can’t see a thread on this – but Edinburgh City FC (I think that’s their current name) appear to be in a bit of financial difficulty.

Apparently talks to secure a “merger” with the Spartans were at an advanced stage earlier in the year before being dingied by Neil Doncaster. The owner has now sold up and the club appears strapped for cash, have binned their reserve and women’s teams and several senior players will leave. I’ll leave it to others to decide if Danny Handling for example is worth a look.

I suspect there is a bit of misinformation flying around, but from afar it looks like a familiar story – unrealistic ambitions and the difficulty of being the third force in the capital. Also the flip-side of opening up the pyramid.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Edinburgh City FC
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 22 Dec 20:08

That`s the former owner spouting nonsense - he said when he sold up that he`d leave the clib debt free and he didn`t. As much as I dislike Doncaster, I can`t see him saying that either
It was his madcap decision to change the name to FC Edinburgh, move unto Meadowbank without making sure it was fit for purpose and to spend a lot on decent wages that got them into this mess, not a merger with The Spartans that wouldn`t have done anything other than force genuine City and Spartans fans to pack it in.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Fri 22 Dec 20:27

Handling has gone to brechin, many others have found other clubs.

I don’t think anyone is worth that much of a look, perhaps fontaine(one of two, Mercer being the other continuing to play without pay) if he came in very cheap until the season end.

The overall situation seems to be on the former owner, created a shitstorm and walked away pretending it wasn’t him.

We know the hell this can be as fans and I wish them all the best.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 23 Dec 15:40

Robbie Mahon ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 15:56

See most of the big bookies weren`t even offering markets on the Edinburgh City v Hamilton game today.

Those who did, you were getting ridiculous odds and Hamilton were only still 4/9 with a -3 goal handicap start.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 16:00

They have conceded 21 goals in their last 4 and a half games now!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 16:11

I suspect they might fail to fulfil their fixtures this season.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 8000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 16:16

A sad state of affairs unfortunately just no room for them in the capital.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: PARadise  
Date:   Sat 30 Dec 20:11

Majority of their players are from their disbanded 20s team
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 05:15

Sure Hibs were using them as a feeder team too

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 11:08

The issue was getting too big too quickly. They used to be a part time team with a part time manager (Gary Jardine). Suddenly they were bringing in the likes of Jim Jefferies and performances under Jardine began to suffer. Jardine`s now at the Civil Service Strollers, who do not too badly (better than Cowdenbeath!)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 11:36

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Sat 30 Dec 16:16

Remember saying that last season
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 15:00

The fact that they, along with various other clubs, have existed in Edinburgh for a number of years shows that to be false. Your comments at the start of last season also said that regionalising clubs in Scotland along the lines of amateur Irish hurling would be a good thing and that the existence of small clubs like Edinburgh City were part of the reason why Hearts and Hibs could not win the league.

Is there room for a third club in Edinburgh that can displace either of the big two? Almost certainly not. But is there room for some smaller clubs who can compete at their own level, either towards the bottom end of the SPFL or below that? Absolutely. If a club can be sustainable on whatever crowds they manage then of course there`s room for them.

As always when these things happen, I feel bad for the fans affected by it. Currently they`re seeing their team slide to certain relegation and most of their recognisable players signing for other clubs. It was incredible to read the stuff about their previous board trying to `merge` with Spartans and rename the club FC Edinburgh Spartans before the SPFL put a stop to it.

The return to Meadowbank has been disastrous. It`s the worst place I`ve ever watched football and that view seems close to unanimous among fans who have been there. I don`t know how they can still be an SPFL club playing there next year - from next season, all SPFL clubs need to have at least a bronze license and I just can`t see how that ground can achieve that. Maybe the league would agree to an exemption in this case. At the first game there last year, I was looking for the toilets and without any obstruction, happened to walk into the referee`s changing room! Maybe that doesn`t matter much - if they can survive in some form until the start of next season, at whatever level, that would be a good outcome. I hope they do make it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 15:24

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Sat 30 Dec 16:16

You say this, but theres no effectively 5 pro teams from the capital - Hibs, Hearts, Edinburgh City, Spartans and Bonnyrigg. Plenty room if clubs are run correctly.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 15:36

Aye its the fault of Edinburgh and for the past half a season, Spartans that have stopped Hearts and Hibs being more successful.

Just utter "pundit like" p*sh.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 15:44

Socks, I`m pretty sure the SFA have said already thst existing clubs will have "a period" to get Bronze although in typical SFA ways they haven`t specified how long that is!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 31 Dec 17:59

There`s certainly some room for movement. This is the letter sent to clubs a couple of months ago:

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/Membership%20Criteria%20Letter%202024-25%2031%20October%202023.pdf

It looks like existing clubs have until 1st July but that clubs who might be eligible for promotion from Highland/Lowland leagues need to have things ready by end of March. In both cases, likely that some waivers will be applied if clubs can give time scales to get things sorted out.

Meadowbank is the only SPFL ground that still doesn`t meet bronze standard, though Edinburgh City, Airdrie, Cove, Kelty and Peterhead all fail to meet all the requirements for a bronze license, as of the last inspection.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net