DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Injuries
Topic Originator: fergie  
Date:   Wed 10 Jan 19:24

Twitter
Season over with that list of woe 🫣
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Injuries
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 10 Jan 19:34

I don`t see Otoo on that list. Does that mean he`s fit? One crumb of comfort is that Todd`s injury is maybe not as serious as first feared.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Jan 19:34

I don`t see Otoo on that list. Does that mean he`s fit? One crumb of comfort is that Todd`s injury is maybe not as serious as first feared.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 10 Jan 19:37

Keep in mind, these are fairly serious injuries. I would add on two weeks to get back to some kind match fitness

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Wed 10 Jan 19:57

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Wed 10 Jan 19:37

Keep in mind, these are fairly serious injuries. I would add on two weeks to get back to some kind match fitness

Yes agree. 4 weeks means 6 weeks in reality. That`s realistically towards the beginning of March.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Garvockpar14  
Date:   Wed 10 Jan 20:31

We cannot count on Bene for the rest of the season. Breen, KRH and Todd also seem likely to miss most of what is left and we need to plan without them. If they do return it is a bonus. We must to plan without them and get some signings in. Others are able to do it - why can`t we? The Germans need to stand up and help the team we have now rather than appearing to focus on youth and training facilities.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Wed 10 Jan 20:40

Given how it’s gone this season I would say at least half of them will struggle to play again this season with recurrences or further injuries.

So we’re either totally skint or mcpake is refusing to consider anyone outside of Dundee or st Johnstone.

I fancy we’ll get Ashcroft till the end of the season but I think that might be all and we’ll just cross our fingers and pray we get enough points on the board.

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Wed 10 Jan 20:51

Quote:

Berkey, Wed 10 Jan 20:40

Given how it’s gone this season I would say at least half of them will struggle to play again this season with recurrences or further injuries.

So we’re either totally skint or mcpake is refusing to consider anyone outside of Dundee or st Johnstone.

I fancy we’ll get Ashcroft till the end of the season but I think that might be all and we’ll just cross our fingers and pray we get enough points on the board.

Ashcroft rumoured to be replacing Byrne at Rovers on loan with Dundee calling him back and re-loaning out
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Wed 10 Jan 23:36

When did Bene`s injury change from a broken bone in the foot to a thigh injury? Was it in the 20 minutes he played against Ayr at the end of December? The club have been pretty vague about his injury from the outset and I don`t think we can count on getting a lot from him this season. Will be a bonus if we do.
Because of the shortages a hazard now will be having players doing too much too soon when coming back from injury.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kdy Par  
Date:   Wed 10 Jan 23:41

Quote:

bannerpar, Wed 10 Jan 23:36

When did Bene`s injury change from a broken bone in the foot to a thigh injury? Was it in the 20 minutes he played against Ayr at the end of December? The club have been pretty vague about his injury from the outset and I don`t think we can count on getting a lot from him this season. Will be a bonus if we do.
Because of the shortages a hazard now will be having players doing too much too soon when coming back from injury.

He hurt his thigh against Raith during his comeback in October.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 08:24

Garvock par nails it for me. All our eggs in one basket is coming home to roost. If you pardon the pun.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 10:29

To summarise, the estimated recovery dates for injured players are as follows :-

Fisher 23 Jan
Jakubiak 2 Feb
Tod 3 Feb
Breen 6 Feb
Todd 10 Feb
Comrie 16 Feb
Bene 24 Feb
KRH 15 Mar

Matty Todd`s injury isn`t as bad as was feared as only the hamstring is affected, not the tendon as well.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 11:43

I wouldn`t put any hopes on any of them returning knowing our luck. Especially KRH and Bene. Breen also probably. Need to prepare without them.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 12:36

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 11 Jan 10:29

To summarise, the estimated recovery dates for injured players are as follows :-

Fisher 23 Jan
Jakubiak 2 Feb
Tod 3 Feb
Breen 6 Feb
Todd 10 Feb
Comrie 16 Feb
Bene 24 Feb
KRH 15 Mar

Matty Todd`s injury isn`t as bad as was feared as only the hamstring is affected, not the tendon as well.

On a positive note its an excellent opportunity for the rest of the squad to gain experience,

Paul Allan will get a whole season under his belt, Fenton/Sunderland will get some starts.

And who knows we might have a fully fit squad and be fighting for 4/5th
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 12:59

Wee Mike we timidly lost to the worst team in the division last week and our season has hit the skids a bit. Not sure there’s much to be optimistic about right now.

Giving young players experience is all well and good but if we’re sucked into a relegation dog fight the youngsters are more likely to not be the ones to get us out of it. Paul Allan is 24 in less than a month and we’re talking about him like he’s a teenager needing game time….

Wonder who Dundee will loan Byrne too? I’d certainly take him here if we can get afford him and a defender in.

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 13:00

Otoo and McCann back for the weekend?

BEAST!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 13:05

That`s the assumption. evo!, and hopefully those who played last Friday despite not being 100% fit are in better shape for Saturday.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 13:15

why would Byrne accept a loan elsewhere?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 13:49

Probably Partick bound as well!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 68guns  
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 14:20

As far as Byrne is concerned he signed a season long loan at rovers and Turner has signed to cover for Stanton who is injured.
Can’t say the management team have made poor choices when signing players so just have to trust them.
Our business plan will be adhered to as well which will see us through this unprecedented injury scenario.
No point demanding this and that, cast your mind back 11 years and be thankful we are on a steady path.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 17:59

Hate to give that mob credit but Rovers have done well (or spent a lot of cash) to fill the few gaps they`ve had this season.

Keith Watson, 1st choice centre half gets injured, they sign up O`Reilly as extra cover.

Stanton gets injured, they sign Kyle Turner.

O`Reilly leaves, there`s talk straight away of signing Ashcroft.

There`s no just `making do` with what they`ve got, playing people out of position, or gambling on untried youngsters loaned from bigger clubs. Every player is experienced at this level.

Shaun Byrne must be on for the record of most championship medals by now.

Whole thing makes me sick 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 18:29

Quote:

Jeffery, Thu 11 Jan 17:59

Hate to give that mob credit but Rovers have done well (or spent a lot of cash) to fill the few gaps they`ve had this season.

Keith Watson, 1st choice centre half gets injured, they sign up O`Reilly as extra cover.

There`s no just `making do` with what they`ve got, playing people out of position, or gambling on untried youngsters loaned from bigger clubs. Every player is experienced at this level.

Let them get on with it. It`s all built on sand

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Thu 11 Jan 18:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 18:52

They bailed out at Kelty because it was costing an arm and a leg, what makes them think Raith will be any easier?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 22:18

I think they are spending in the hope of going up. If they don`t go up it might be an expensive season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 11 Jan 22:53

Quote:

Indiapar, Thu 11 Jan 22:18

I think they are spending in the hope of going up. If they don`t go up it might be an expensive season.

Will be very expensive if they`ve to lift the plastic pitch!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 06:37

Quote:

Jeffery, Thu 11 Jan 17:59

The difference is, they are gambling big time on getting promoted this year.
We ain`t gonny waste that cash at this stage. We will be prudent and do enough to consolidate.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 06:38

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Thu 11 Jan 18:52

They bailed out at Kelty because it was costing an arm and a leg, what makes them think Raith will be any easier?

More chance of promotion and bigger crowds and share of the pot.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 08:36

Quote:

PARrot, Fri 12 Jan 06:38

Quote:

I don’t know too much about the Raith backers. What is their net worth?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 08:52

Quote:

parsmad68, Fri 12 Jan 08:36

Quote:

Quote:

Not sure on exact worth, but they are generally local businessmen, owning assets like the Dean Park Hotel and SM Supplies. I cant imagine these guys are rolling in it, but they are all (excluding Barrowman) lifelong Rovers fans.

Wether or not these guys can sustain the spending they are doing just now remains to be seen - they are effectively trying the same model as Kelty, but on a larger, full time scale, with a club thats stuck in the middle of us and Kelty in terms of attendances.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 10:07

Quote:

Dave_1885, Fri 12 Jan 08:52

Quote:

parsmad68, Fri 12 Jan 08:36

Quote:

Quote:

Not sure on exact worth, but they are generally local businessmen, owning assets like the Dean Park Hotel and SM Supplies. I cant imagine these guys are rolling in it, but they are all (excluding Barrowman) lifelong Rovers fans.

Wether or not these guys can sustain the spending they are doing just now remains to be seen - they are effectively trying the same model as Kelty, but on a larger, full time scale, with a club thats stuck in the middle of us and Kelty in terms of attendances.

The Kelty model obviously worked for them and brought success. I suppose the question is will it translate to a different set of circumstances, larger club, and different set of dynamics. The proof will be in the pudding at the end of the season. I suppose the question is not so much if they can achieve promotion, more if they are able to stay up if they do. I think the local community support and engagement for the smaller clubs outside the top 4 sides is the best model but that takes time to build and weave into the fabric of the local area through not only attendance on a Saturday but also feeling part of something bigger than yourself. I think that is the model we are following with the development facilities etc to attract more local youngsters and have a presence and bigger footprint in the area. It all takes time with small steps but I think personally we are taking the necessary steps forward to compete at the higher level on a sustainable basis. This is not only for the man`s game but should promote the women`s game too.

Post Edited (Fri 12 Jan 11:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 10:56

The hardest part of sticking with our strategy might be keeping all the fans on board if we hit stormy waters. As we`ve seen on here over the last week there have been calls to get the cheque book out and acquire an experienced pro like Lee Ashcroft to get us over what we hope is a short-term crisis. Interestingly, the club`s response was simply to accelerate the signing of another young prospect with investment potential. Assuming this goes through later today it will then be interesting to see who the next signing will be.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 11:03

I think the signing model is working......Otoo is going to have a good career, hopefully with us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 12:14

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 12 Jan 10:56

Interestingly, the club`s response was simply to accelerate the signing of another young prospect with investment.

MF-W is only on a short-term loan deal, so hardly an "investment" per se.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jan 12:27

I assumed the intention was to secure him on a contract at the end of the season if all goes well, similar to what happened with Otoo and KRH.

Post Edited (Fri 12 Jan 12:49)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Jan 11:20

Some better news about KRH. He`s back at the club after spending Christmas with his family and his arm is out of the sling. James McPake reckons he should be available in about 6 weeks` time which is a fortnight earlier than they were forecasting last week.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 18 Jan 13:27

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 12 Jan 10:56

The hardest part of sticking with our strategy might be keeping all the fans on board if we hit stormy waters. As we`ve seen on here over the last week there have been calls to get the cheque book out and acquire an experienced pro like Lee Ashcroft to get us over what we hope is a short-term crisis. Interestingly, the club`s response was simply to accelerate the signing of another young prospect with investment potential. Assuming this goes through later today it will then be interesting to see who the next signing will be.

Having nearly a full first team injured for at least 1/3rd of a season isn`t a short term crisis....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Jan 15:19

We can`t do anything about the past, only the future.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 19 Jan 16:55

Bene is out for 3 months

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Jan 17:00

Is that an update to the estimate given last week that they reckoned he`d be back by the end of February?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Fri 19 Jan 17:39

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/4870653/dunfermline-fc-james-mcpake-surgery-defensive-duo/

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Jan 20:49

Bene’s injury issues have been hampered by the fact we’re constantly trying to rush him back as there’s been no other cover. Not a great position to put him in tbh.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Fri 19 Jan 21:08

What kind of things have the coaches been doing in training to rush him back?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Fri 19 Jan 21:11

That`s an absolutely wild accusation to make Berkey, one that has absolutely no substance. Our club Dr, physios and sport scientist. So you`re essentially accusing them of unprofessional behaviour and risking the well being of our players, aye?

Post Edited (Fri 19 Jan 21:12)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Jan 21:18

I hope Berkey isn`t trolling! 😂😂😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 19 Jan 22:09

I generally find Berkey`s assessments to be entirely accurate. And regarding the timing of players returning to the side, Berkey is not alone in his views.

It is not a question of unprofessional behaviour, far from it. It is more a case of team management taking gambles that have not paid off; prime examples are Bene and KRH, but there would appear to be others, such as Rhys Breen.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Fri 19 Jan 22:14

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 19 Jan 22:09

I generally find Berkey`s assessments to be entirely accurate. And regarding the timing of players returning to the side, Berkey is not alone in his views.

It is not a question of unprofessional behaviour, far from it. It is more a case of team management taking gambles that have not paid off; prime examples are Bene and KRH, but there would appear to be others, such as Rhys Breen.

Incredible to think KRH was rushed back so quickly after ankle and knee surgery when clearly his shoulder wasn`t properly set that it was going to dislocate once he fell awkwardly on it ....
😄😄😄🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 19 Jan 22:15

On the question of Lee Ashcroft, my abiding memory of him is in his latter days at EEP, constantly blaming other players when we conceded a goal - often when he had a part to play in it. And did he not hit Williamson during a game on one occasion?

To me, not the sort of player we would want for team harmony.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Jan 22:31

KRH`s injuries were totally unrelated and all `impact` injuries so I don`t see how the medical staff could have done anything which caused these injuries.

Bene`s first injury was to his foot I think. The subsequent ones were to different areas of his thigh. Breen has had various injuries. He seems to be prone to hamstring problems but the latest one one was to his knee and self-inflicted after a poor challenge.

Listening to McPake, who suffered a lot of injuries during his playing career, I would say he is very cautious when it comes to reintroducing players who have been recovering from injuries.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 19 Jan 22:34

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 19 Jan 22:15

On the question of Lee Ashcroft, my abiding memory of him is in his latter days at EEP, constantly blaming other players when we conceded a goal - often when he had a part to play in it. And did he not hit Williamson during a game on one occasion?

To me, not the sort of player we would want for team harmony.

I don’t think he “hit” Williamson - but there was certainly stern words in one game and a constant blame game from him at times.

On Berkeys point - maybe not with KRH, but Bene was certainly rushed back for the Rovers away game - not saying anybody is at fault, but when you aren’t match sharp your body will normally try to compensate for injuries that aren’t 100% healed/up to scratch, so more than likely caused a new injury from rustiness more than incompetence.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 20 Jan 07:27

Quote:

Dave_1885, Fri 19 Jan 22:34

On Berkeys point - maybe not with KRH, but Bene was certainly rushed back for the Rovers away game - not saying anybody is at fault, but when you aren’t match sharp your body will normally try to compensate for injuries that aren’t 100% healed/up to scratch, so more than likely caused a new injury from rustiness more than incompetence.

I think Bene would be the first to admit that if there was any blame to be attached, it would be to himself. I asked him about his original injury when I saw him in a moonshot. "Ach it`s nothing. Broken 2nd metatarsal. I`ll be back in 3 to 4 weeks." James McPake is well aware that Bene is his own worst enemy in such circumstances as he`s so desperate to play that he would declare himself fit.

If anything, the medics and management team held him back rather than rushed him before he was ready. The manager suffered several serious injuries himself during his playing career and is extremely protective of his players and I think any suggestion that he would allow any player to return before he was fully recovered is well wide of the mark.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Jan 07:27

Quote:

GG Riva, Sat 20 Jan 07:27

Quote:

Dave_1885, Fri 19 Jan 22:34

I think Bene would be the first to admit that if there was any blame to be attached, it would be to himself. I asked him about his original injury when I saw him in a moonboot. "Ach it`s nothing. Broken 2nd metatarsal. I`ll be back in 3 to 4 weeks." James McPake is well aware that Bene is his own worst enemy in such circumstances as he`s so desperate to play that he would declare himself fit.

If anything, the medics and management team held him back rather than rushed him before he was ready. The manager suffered several serious injuries himself during his playing career and is extremely protective of his players and I think any suggestion that he would allow any player to return before he was fully recovered is well wide of the mark.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Sat 20 Jan 12:46

Bene may have also said to the medics he felt good to go after being back in training. Nobody’s fault just bad luck
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sun 21 Jan 09:28

I think it`s possible to say `rushed back` without definitively assigning blame anywhere and without there being a negative connotation.

As has been said above, if the medical professionals, the coaches, and the player agreed they are ready to go then they can play. Whether they would in an ideal world is different.

To add some `ifs..` though. If the squad contained a fit replacement, and if there was a reserve league league to build up match fitness, maybe he wouldn`t have played for the first team so soon ideally.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Jan 11:08

Quote:

Jeffery, Sun 21 Jan 09:28

I think it`s possible to say `rushed back` without definitively assigning blame anywhere and without there being a negative connotation.

As has been said above, if the medical professionals, the coaches, and the player agreed they are ready to go then they can play. Whether they would in an ideal world is different.

To add some `ifs..` though. If the squad contained a fit replacement, and if there was a reserve league league to build up match fitness, maybe he wouldn`t have played for the first team so soon ideally.

Interesting post, Jeffrey, but I`m struggling to see how we can strip a negative connotation off the expression "rushed back."

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 7 Eleven  
Date:   Sun 21 Jan 15:55

I`m not too sure how accurate the data on Transfermarkt website is, but being out for 7 weeks then playing 90 minutes certainly isn`t ideal.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/rhys-breen/leistungsdaten/spieler/406728/saison/2023/plus/1

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net