DAFC.net
Home 05 July 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Mental health
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 14:01

With the prevalence of mental health issues in all of society these days I propose that the admin takes a very strict stance on all disparaging comments chastising players, management and even posters.

This will of course go completely unheeded as `fans are entitled to their opinions` blah blah blah. Fans may well be entitled to an opinion, but not at the expense of anybodies mental wellbeing.

None of this sticks n stones or thick skins malarkey, Its a serious issue however that deserves some in depth contemplation.

I rarely post on here but I do read and observe some of the vile, vapid and vindictive vitriol that is spouted.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Mental health
Topic Originator: par58  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 14:05

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. I also rarely post and recently I have been appalled at the personal abuse on here directed at players and management of DAFC. Let’s hope for more encouraging and positive posts and less of the disgraceful abuse.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 14:09

Quote:

par58, Tue 13 Feb 14:05

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. I also rarely post and recently I have been appalled at the personal abuse on here directed at players and management of DAFC. Let’s hope for more encouraging and positive posts and less of the disgraceful abuse.

Done of the more toxic ones should be deleted. Quite a few over the last couple of weeks.

Some folk just go way too far.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 14:23

Constructive criticism and debate are always welcome but personal abuse is a disgrace. Tired of reading it as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 14:33

Totally agree. Would love to stick all these guys in the dressing room and see if they still feel so brave.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 14:35

I take it the same conduct is to be enforced at East end its self , no "I`ve paid my money " excuses.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 14:37

Agreed.
Good post.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 14:39

Quote:

kozmasrightfoot, Tue 13 Feb 14:01

With the prevalence of mental health issues in all of society these days I propose that the admin takes a very strict stance on all disparaging comments chastising players, management and even posters.

This will of course go completely unheeded as `fans are entitled to their opinions` blah blah blah. Fans may well be entitled to an opinion, but not at the expense of anybodies mental wellbeing.

None of this sticks n stones or thick skins malarkey, Its a serious issue however that deserves some in depth contemplation.

I rarely post on here but I do read and observe some of the vile, vapid and vindictive vitriol that is spouted.

Get a grip. It’s a forum for the fans to spout off and say their bit
If you’re worried about players reading comments, there’s really no point having a fans forum at all.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 14:45

I propose we turn this place into a Utopia with rainbows, unicorns and skipping through meadows. Anyone who says anything triggering should be silenced and banished.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 15:04

Define abusive?

Some people confuse between comments regarding a players ability and performance with personal abuse…what defines it?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 15:12

Quote:

Dave_1885, Tue 13 Feb 15:04

Define abusive?

Some people confuse between comments regarding a players ability and performance with personal abuse…what defines it?

In any normal walk of life, whether you like it or not, it`s unacceptable to scream personal abuse at a player, during or after a game. I`m not sure posting that Player X was pihs today counts as personal abuse.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Tue 13 Feb 15:13)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 15:36

This is all woke nonsense and let`s just call it what it is and as far as I can tell this is about controlling others and what you are calling for is a dictatorship
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 16:16

Good post further up, Rusty.

Quote:

Dave_1885, Tue 13 Feb 15:04

Define abusive?

I`m wondering why you`re asking this, Dave, as I`m fairly certain you can easily distinguish between the two, but I`ll bite.

Commenting on someone`s ability is not abusive, although it can injure the feelings of the intended target. Using a disparaging term to insult someone is abusive. Examples include likening someone to the external male and female sex organs.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AbuBarrie  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 16:23

I was a regular poster in the early days of.net however it’s very rare now for me to post anything as I can’t cope with the constant negativity and bile posted by quite a few posters.
Please think before you
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 16:25

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Tue 13 Feb 15:36

This is all woke nonsense and let`s just call it what it is and as far as I can tell this is about controlling others and what you are calling for is a dictatorship

Utter bullshit.

I hope you never have to live with someone or suffer mental health issues.
There is no excuse for some of the toxic posts on here.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 16:39

The minute anyone says the word “woke” in this context, you can form your opinion very quickly, and probably correctly about them…

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 17:16

Let`s frame it another way. Have any of you worked in the public eye and had your work, your integrity or your character at best questioned or at worst ridiculed? Let`s have an actual discussion.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 17:28

Quote:

PARrot, Tue 13 Feb 16:25

Quote:

Utter bullshit.

There is no excuse for the use of bad language but yet here you are eh? Canny complain about the toxic posts after that utter gem that you opened with it just doesn’t work like that

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 17:29

Quote:

Quote:

Utter bullshit.

Unbelievable stance considering you belittled by mental health problems. I haven’t forgotten .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 18:17

Quote:

back oh the net, Tue 13 Feb 17:28
Canny complain about the toxic posts after that utter gem that you opened with it just doesn’t work like that

^^ whataboutery
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 18:34

I have the First Amendment on my side which protects my rights to free speech
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 18:37

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Tue 13 Feb 17:29

Quote:

Quote:

Utter bullshit.

Unbelievable stance considering you belittled by mental health problems. I haven’t forgotten .

Welcome back 👍 hope you`re well

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 18:51

Topic Originator: dafc-chris1 like
Date: Tue 13 Feb 18:34

I have the First Amendment on my side which protects my rights to free speech

🤣🤣🤣

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NW 1966  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 19:18

`Get a grip. It’s a forum for the fans to spout off and say their bit. If you’re worried about players reading comments, there’s really no point having a fans forum at all`

You start by telling a poster and fellow Pars fan to get a grip.
Why don`t you take your own advice?
Devoid of empathy or social awareness by the looks of it.
Hopefully you`re not contributing to the posts supporting the walk & talk group that out every Friday.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 19:28

Quote:

back oh the net, Tue 13 Feb 17:28

Quote:

Quote:

Utter bullshit.

There is no excuse for the use of bad language but yet here you are eh? Canny complain about the toxic posts after that utter gem that you opened with it just doesn’t work like that

More Utter bullshit.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 19:37

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Tue 13 Feb 17:29

Quote:

Quote:

Utter bullshit.

Ah, I remember you, and the quotes you made that led me to consider the validity of your claims. Despite that, what you just suggested didn`t happen.
I called you out for belittling mental health issues. You then claimed to be suffering from issues and I gave you the benefit of the doubt and apologised.

I have dealt with and am still dealing with very many people with genuine issues.
You did not come across as genuine at all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KirklistonPar  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 19:37

If you wouldn’t say it to the person face to face then you shouldn’t post it in a forum. Simple but good rule to live by on social media. The vast majority of people may never have experienced mental health issues and they should be grateful it’s not affected their life’s. Maybe just think how would the person feel if they were to read what you had typed. Still post your opinion just try to be a bit less abusive. This message is not directed at any one poster.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 19:52

Quote:

KirklistonPar, Tue 13 Feb 19:37

If you wouldn’t say it to the person face to face then you shouldn’t post it in a forum. Simple but good rule to live by on social media. The vast majority of people may never have experienced mental health issues and they should be grateful it’s not affected their life’s. Maybe just think how would the person would feel if they were to read what you had typed. Still post your opinion. Just try to be a bit less abusive. This message is not directed at any one poster.

Exactly.

Players know when they have had a stinker and can accept criticism.
You can comment on a performance without suggesting someone is a waste of a wage or will never be a player.
Much worse is said when emotions are high.

What do you expect to gain by doing this, other than doing more damage to their confidence?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 19:59

Genuine question here btw - how is saying someone is a waste of a wage personal abuse?

Id say its an observation on their actual ability and performance.

Do the same people that claim thats abuse towards footballers say that politicians that are underperforming are a waste of a wage? Is it ok for movie stars to be a waste of a wage?

I think people forget that these players/managers etc are paid to do a job to a set standard and any poor performance can rightfully be called out and declared as a waste of money…thats not personal abuse.

Nobody is calling these players fat, or ugly, or telling them to go find another kind of job…..they are just stating they aren’t good enough to be paid at this level 🤷🏻‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 20:03

I would hope none of the players and management staff would take this seriously
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 20:04

Being told you're a waste of a wage is just about as demeaning an insult as you can get.

Post Edited (Tue 13 Feb 20:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 20:13

I`ve certainly been affected by less truth be told.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 20:46

It’s probably down to an age thing now where young people aged say between 16-25 just handle criticism. When I was 16 I got told to do a job and then another for a firm and if it was not completed correctly all wiring was pulled back and told to start again… I spent my first year in customer lofts running cable etc… plus had to go into the yard on a Saturday to clean out the vans and restock for no money… that’s because my boss told me to! This whole country has gone crazy!

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 20:54

Quote:

NW 1966, Tue 13 Feb 19:18

`Get a grip. It’s a forum for the fans to spout off and say their bit. If you’re worried about players reading comments, there’s really no point having a fans forum at all`

You start by telling a poster and fellow Pars fan to get a grip.
Why don`t you take your own advice?
Devoid of empathy or social awareness by the looks of it.
Hopefully you`re not contributing to the posts supporting the walk

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 20:54

Quote:

Indiapar, Tue 13 Feb 20:03

I would hope none of the players and management staff would take this seriously

It`s not the players and management staff I worry about, it`s the amount of people on here who take going to a game of football far too seriously..... 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 21:05

A fair point by Alter Ego there, some people these days can`t take any form of criticism whatsoever. I see it at work from time to time, even a softly, softly approach to providing appropriate feedback to help people do their job better, can sometimes lead to grown men crying like babies. You also see grown men at football matches having full scale temper tantrums when things aren`t going their way, it`s laughable.

The advice about not typing it on a forum unless you would say it to someone`s face is good as well. Maybe people need to bear that in mind before they press SUBMIT. That`s one of the worst things I have noticed over the last twenty years since the growth of social media. People think they can hide behind a keyboard and say what they like. They can dish it out, like big men, knowing they don`t have to face consequences, but they also can`t take it back
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 21:39

One day thick people will realise what "woke" means...actually, they`re pretty thick so won`t. Oh well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 21:49

jake .. what does woke mean ? I do not have a scooby

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 21:57

Woke means just being socially aware…. But I just thought being normal was ok??
This world/Britain/Scotland has changed. Not for the better as it’s all going downhill.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 22:03

Quote:

Buspasspar, Tue 13 Feb 21:49

jake .. what does woke mean ? I do not have a scooby

Woke is the terms used by racists/homophobes/bigots to try make them feel better about living in the past whilst the rest of the world moves forward.

It allows them to throw the word up in debates to “win” by claiming the other person is “woke”

Nothing to do with how well someone does their job mind you…

Post Edited (Tue 13 Feb 22:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 22:05

Quote:

jake89, Tue 13 Feb 21:39

One day thick people will realise what "woke" means...actually, they`re pretty thick so won`t. Oh well.

I know exactly what "woke "means as I wouldn`t use a word if I was unaware of the meaning of said word so It is not me who is the thick one here.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 22:12

What woke actually means is the elite trying to force their owns views on people who don`t share that opinion
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 22:22

Isn`t it the `elite` eg the Tory party, multi-millionaires like Trump, etc who accuse anyone to the left of them politically of being `woke?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yvb-par  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 22:23

A wee thought to say that this week is random acts of kindness week...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 22:23

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Tue 13 Feb 22:12

What woke actually means is the elite trying to force their owns views on people who don`t share that opinion

No, no it doesn’t 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 22:24

Aye Wee Eck but Chris must reckon that either Trump is woke or that being a billionaire former president doesn`t make him elite enough.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 22:35

Trump is the opposite of woke but it`s the cultural establishment that are woke
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 22:37

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Tue 13 Feb 22:35

Trump is the opposite of woke but it`s the cultural establishment that are woke

I`d stop now. You are showing yourself up
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dickandbert  
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 07:46

Quote:

theparsman1885, Tue 13 Feb 16:39

The minute anyone says the word “woke” in this context, you can form your opinion very quickly, and probably correctly about them…

This ^^^^*
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 07:51

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Tue 13 Feb 22:12

Thank you for proving my point, Chris.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 09:05

Just googled it and this is the Oxford version :-

​aware of social and political issues, especially racism This word is often used in a disapproving way by people who think that some other people are too easily upset about these issues, or talk too much about them in a way that does not change anything.

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 12:09

Woke? I would prefer that it was never used—it is a useless, utterly pointless word.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 13:27

Quote:

Trump is the opposite of woke

Asleep?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 13:40

Quote:

Wotsit, Wed 14 Feb 13:27

Quote:

Trump is the opposite of woke

Asleep?

Clinically brain dead I assume sometimes. An absolute tool of a man who should be nowhere near the level of power he`s had.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 15:10

Biden is the one who is mentally unfit to hold office and Trump is perhaps the greatest world leader of all time and the fact they had to rig an election for Biden to become president says it all really
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 15:17

Sweet baby jesus and the orphans

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 15:36

Chris, out of interest, are you affiliated with any UK political parties? It`s just I`m unclear as to why, as a UK resident, you seem so passionate about US presidents.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 15:59

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Wed 14 Feb 15:10

Biden is the one who is mentally unfit to hold office and Trump is perhaps the greatest world leader of all time and the fact they had to rig an election for Biden to become president says it all really

Your at it right?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 16:15

Quote:

jake89, Wed 14 Feb 15:36

Chris, out of interest, are you affiliated with any UK political parties? It`s just I`m unclear as to why, as a UK resident, you seem so passionate about US presidents.

I`m not affiliated with any of the UK Political parties and not a fan of the Republican party in the US either but I do like Trump
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 16:18

Quote:

PARrot, Wed 14 Feb 15:59

Quote:

Your at it right?

I`m serious that is my opinion and other people are welcome to agree or disagree but that is how i see it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 16:49

Get this thread to Off topic ,or politics forum

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 17:04

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Wed 14 Feb 16:49

Agree . Get this off the football forum .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 18:12

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Wed 14 Feb 16:18

Quote:

PARrot, Wed 14 Feb 15:59

Quote:

Your at it right?

I`m serious that is my opinion and other people are welcome to agree or disagree but that is how i see it.

Well you just blew any credibility you might have in any discussion going forward.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 21:36

Quote:

Parsweep, Wed 14 Feb 17:04

Quote:

This topic was rightly started to, once again, highlight the disgraceful and wholly unwarranted abuse thrown at DAFC players and management on this forum, and has every right to stay on the football forum.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 21:44

Quote:

par58, Wed 14 Feb 21:36

Quote:

Quote:

This topic was rightly started to, once again, highlight the disgraceful and wholly unwarranted abuse thrown at DAFC players and management on this forum, and has every right to stay on the football forum.

And as I said, are going to hold everyone inside East End to the same standards

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 22:29

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Wed 14 Feb 21:44

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And as I said, are going to hold everyone inside East End to the same standards

Post Edited (Wed 14 Feb 22:31)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 23:10

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You missed out the words “and posters” in the opening post. Some folk have just ignored that completely.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 14:44

Quote:

You poor boy
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 14:46

I`d also point out, any footballer with even 2 brain cells to rub together should know, a football forum will be a very toxic place when the team is playing badly. And we are playing very very badly
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 15:21

Quote:

Andrew283, Thu 15 Feb 14:46

I`d also point out, any footballer with even 2 brain cells to rub together should know, a football forum will be a very toxic place when the team is playing badly. And we are playing very very badly

I can`t remember who I listened to recently but it was someone very high profile who said that they couldn`t help looking at their ratings in the papers back in the day. And it affected them, even their thinking during a match.

I`m glad I`m not performing in the public eye, I`d find it far too stressful

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 15:47

Quote:

EastEndTales, Thu 15 Feb 15:21

Quote:

Andrew283, Thu 15 Feb 14:46

I can`t remember who I listened to recently but it was someone very high profile who said that they couldn`t help looking at their ratings in the papers back in the day. And it affected them, even their thinking during a match.

I`m glad I`m not performing in the public eye, I`d find it far too stressful

I`d estimate that about 95% of the population is negatively affected by scathing criticism of their performance in any walk of life and the other 5% are lying through their teeth.

It`s actually quite easy to prove. I used to get 3 kids to perform a task during social education. It involved threading a piece of string in and out through a block of wood with a series of holes drilled through it. The 3 kids were put out of the class and told to choose a number. 1, 2 and 3. The rest of the class was instructed to encourage the first kid coming in, stay silent for the second (control experiment), and jeer the 3rd. Meanwhile, I would time each pupil.

Invariably, the first pupil would complete the task in the shortest time and pupil 3 would take the longest and in some cases give up saying it was too difficult.

Scientists refer to encouragement and jeering as positive and negative reinforcement.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 22:18

GG nails it.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net