DAFC.net
Home 19 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 East End Park
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 00:39

Why are we so bad at home ? Any ideas ?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: East End Park
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 00:50

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Thu 7 Mar 00:39

We are 6th in the Championship for home games only, 5th in away games and 6th overall so I don`t think we are that much different home or away.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 00:57

Quote:

My opinion
People think the players don`t read this forum,this is B.S. .And when you see some of the B.S. against our management and players this for sure will add additional pressure ,especially to young players and players on loan when playing at home .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 01:20

Quote:

Rigger Al, Thu 7 Mar 00:57

Quote:

My opinion
People think the players don`t read this forum,this is B.S. .And when you see some of the B.S. against our management and players this for sure will add additional pressure ,especially to young players and players on loan when playing at home .

Then forget about the abuse on the forum and win and draw away from home?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 03:34

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Thu 7 Mar 01:20

Quote:

Rigger Al, Thu 7 Mar 00:57

Quote:

My opinion

Then forget about the abuse on the forum and win and draw away from home?

Tell that to our young players !
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 05:54

Because our squad isn`t as good as we thought.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 06:05

Or maybe, as nicks evidence shows, we’re much a much regardless of whether we play home and away?

So maybe it’s nothing to do with a fans forum messages, and more to do with fans perception (because most fans only see them play at home)?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 06:57

Quote:

I think it would have been better if you`d asked, "Why have we picked up more points away from home?"

My theory is that visiting teams are more compact at EEP, and we find it more difficult to penetrate them. Away from home, these same teams can be more open as they go for the win. This hunch is borne out by the fact that we also had a better away record last season, drawing a fair number of home games, but nobody cared too much as we cantered to the title.

Another factor is fan expectation. We expect our team to win most of our home games but accept that it`s harder to win away, so we don`t get too upset when we lose at a "difficult" venue. Most managers will admit that an away draw is "a good point" but are nearly always disappointed at dropping two points at home against the same opponents.

All psychological, really. A point is a point home or away - a win is 3 pts. The best teams go out to win every game and usually do.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 08:05

I think that there is very little difference between the teams in this league that you can win or lose in equal measure home or away. The deciding factors seem to be form and injuries that sway the results in either direction. We have had a couple of poor performances and been outplayed as a result but that`s it. In this league you have to be clinical in front of goal and minimise defensive errors. I don`t see any lack of effort. We are a good side, we just need to be hitting the target in front of goal let the opposing defence know we are on the park.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 08:18

Every thread turns into a pop at " some fans". The support has been outstanding particularly the last two games. To suggest that our club is any different to the others is just nonsense, get yourself on any forum and you see the same criticisms that you do here.
It is part and parcel of every Football team in the country, that`s not to say it`s right but we are absolutely not unlike the rest of the teams in Scotland. The I`m "holier than thou" posts , every club has them too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 09:47

Maybe we were stuck with the majority of the squad that won the 1st division and the manager and coaching staff obviously thought they were good enough to continue our upward trend, unfortunately not

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 10:05

They probably didn`t anticipate such a crippling list of injuries. It may be clearing up now but it has obviously affected the overall outcome of this season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 11:18

i remember in early 80,s we were dire at home but great away was on supporters bus to muirton play st johnstone pars put £5 on pars at 8/1 we won 3-1 far better team away that season might be same this season

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 11:31

There can be a number of reasons why we struggle at home.

If teams tend to sit in you need good creative players to break them down and I wouldn’t say we are blessed with many. We have some but they have been young loans who let’s face it have struggled to make an impact.

When we have then resorted to long balls into the box the quality of delivery is generally poor and up until Kane arrived we didn’t have a striker who anticipates these coming in and gets in the right area and wins their fair share in the air.

We have also lacked pace to get in behind teams, I’d imagine Todd and KRH would be amongst our faster players and haven’t played much this season.

Plenty of learnings this season if we can just stay up.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 11:35

4 wins at home this season that is dreadful and I can`t understand why people would want to defend this or make excuses for it.

I`ve not looked but how many goals have we scored at east end those numbers will also be terrible
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 16:00

Quote:

LEGEND85, Thu 7 Mar 11:35

4 wins at home this season that is dreadful and I can`t understand why people would want to defend this or make excuses for it.

I`ve not looked but how many goals have we scored at east end those numbers will also be terrible

No point in looking since you already know, LEGEND. 🙄

The OP asked fellow fans for our opinions as to why our home form is poorer than our away form. Some of us put forward some plausible explanations. No one has excused or defended it.

No team has any divine right to win more points at home. It`s just that generally, home teams try to win to please their fans, while away teams often set up to contain their opponents and are usually happy with point.

Rangers and Celtic are an exception as they are much stronger than the other 10 Premiership sides and they`re looking to win both home and away.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: d3monstrate  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 21:20

Theres "only" 4 out of the 10 teams in the league who have more points at home than away, with Airdrie and Partick the only 2 with a decent size difference. Morton and Arbroath are the other 2, but the difference is only 1 point, and Morton have played a game more at home...

So it seems most teams are struggling to use the home advantage...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Thu 7 Mar 23:46

8 of our 11 losses have been at home. No team in the league has lost as many home games as we have, and only 1 team has lost fewer games away from home than we have.

Lost 8 out of 14 (61.5%) at home and 3/13 (23%) away.

Conceded 22 in 14 home games and 14 goals in 13 away games.

Really need to improve that home record if we want to stay up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 00:32

What if we kept up our away record?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunPar  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 03:24

Visiting teams see a win at EEP as being a big scalp. We’ve got the best stadium in the league with the second highest home support so always somewhere that visitors want to win at. That doesn’t explain why we can be so woeful at times and let visiting teams win……….do our players feel the fans getting on their backs too much at home ? I’ve always thought of us as having the most fickle fans ……..on the other hand I’ve been to the Bernabeau amongst Spanish fans who were slating Benzema quite vocally for being a fat bastardos (apparently he was carrying an extra pound or two after summer break).

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 07:49

The players are disappointed at the lack of warm pies and that disappointment is then displayed on the pitch.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 11:19

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 8 Mar 00:32

What if we kept up our away record?

That wouldn’t change the fact we’ve lost more home games than anyone else in the league, which is the point of discussion on this thread. Our away record is hardly great, so I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make here? Teams around us have similar away record to us, but aren’t losing the majority of their home games, as we are.

Recent trends have seen our home form get worse, with 1 win, 1 draw and 5 defeats in our last 7. Last 7 away games have seen us win 2, draw 4 and lose 1. If we continue to draw the majority of away games and lose the majority of home games, we’ll drop down the table.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 11:50

Oh for the Paton era when we battered teams or the Calderwood era when turning up at east end was a given 3 points.

Not just this season though that we have been poor at home it`s a number of years now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 12:04

If I`m not mistaken, our pitch is one of the longer, but narrower ones in the country.

I`ve long thought we should shorten it 3 or 4 yards at the away end.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 12:07

My point was quite simple, par-91. Our final league position will depend on our results home and away, not just at home as you were inferring. As we have four home games and five away games to play our results in away games may be more significant.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 12:16

"Not just this season though that we have been poor at home it`s a number of years now."

Pretty sure we were unbeaten at home last season. Also, I am sure the issue with Crawford`s time in charge was the away form rather than any problem picking up points at EEP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 12:19

unbeaten in League 1 embarrassing that we even ended up in that league.

How is our record in the championship that`s what matters, especially if we want to be challenging for titles and not settling for mediocre league finishes.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 13:33

Quote:

LEGEND85, Fri 8 Mar 12:19

unbeaten in League 1 embarrassing that we even ended up in that league.

How is our record in the championship that`s what matters, especially if we want to be challenging for titles and not settling for mediocre league finishes.

Why is it "embarrassing?" Do you think the Pars are a big club? What do you base that on? Is it because we have a nice stadium or a decent core support? Neither of these criteria make us a big club, I`m afraid.

To be a "big" club, we`d need to bring in better players by paying bigger salaries, get promoted and consolidate our place in the Premiership. We`ve managed that just 2 or 3 times in our history.

In the 60s with Jock Stein, Willie Cunningham and George Farm- that involved selling at least one player each season to make ends meet.

In the 90s with Bert and Dick - unfortunately that didn`t last long as someone at the club upset Bert Paton and he left.

In the 00s with the two Jimmys, when we were able to bring in players from Aberdeen, Hibs, and Rangers with money we didn`t have and we all know how that ended.....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 13:45

Quote:

EastEndTales, Fri 8 Mar 12:04

If I`m not mistaken, our pitch is one of the longer, but narrower ones in the country.

It’s a big pitch. Both long and wide

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 14:00

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 8 Mar 12:07

My point was quite simple, par-91. Our final league position will depend on our results home and away, not just at home as you were inferring. As we have four home games and five away games to play our results in away games may be more significant.

At no point did I infer that league position is decided only on our home results. You’re making up an argument there.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 14:07

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Fri 8 Mar 13:45

Quote:

EastEndTales, Fri 8 Mar 12:04

It’s a big pitch. Both long and wide

That`s what she said

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 14:13

Topic Originator: par-91 like
Date: Fri 8 Mar 14:00

Quote:

At no point did I infer that league position is decided only on our home results. You’re making up an argument there.

What did you mean by this then?

`Topic Originator: par-91
Date: Thu 7 Mar 23:46

`.....Really need to improve that home record if we want to stay up.`

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 14:49

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 8 Mar 14:13

Topic Originator: par-91 like
Date: Fri 8 Mar 14:00

Quote:

What did you mean by this then?

`Topic Originator: par-91
Date: Thu 7 Mar 23:46

`.....Really need to improve that home record if we want to stay up.`

Which I still believe. But I didn’t suggest that away results don’t matter at all. As I said, you’ve twisted my words to create an argument. There’s no suggestion at all in that quote, that away results don’t matter, you’ve completely made that up.

I think it’s much more realistic to suggest we should be trying to turn around our home form, where we’ve lost over twice as many games as we have away from home, to turn this poor run of results around. But you can continue making up arguments for no obvious reason.

Post Edited (Fri 08 Mar 14:50)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 14:55

"

"Not just this season though that we have been poor at home it`s a number of years now."

Pretty sure we were unbeaten at home last season. Also, I am sure the issue with Crawford`s time in charge was the away form rather than any problem picking up points at EEP."

We were unbeaten at home last season... but we picked up more points away from home (43 points including 13 wins) compared with home points (38 points including 10 wins, only 4 in the first half of the season). And even if that wasn`t true, of those 10 home wins, a good few - Alloa, Clyde, Edinburgh, Montrose - were pretty poor games that we only won by 1 goal which came late in the day. If you`re a fan who only does home games, East End Park has been quite a depressing venue either points wise or entertainment wise for a few years now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 19:56

Really depressing watching us pump Falkirk and lift a title. I`m still not over it. Inconsolable so I wiz

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 20:32

2 good games in 40 odd? Easy pleased I guess.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Mar 20:35

Quote:

kelty_par, Fri 8 Mar 20:32

2 good games in 40 odd? Easy pleased I guess.

Some laugh you are. Jeez

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 09:18

Don`t think anyone said that we weren`t good away from home last season.

The statement I was disputing was that we`d been poor at EEP for years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 09:48

Maybe da_no_1, but can you honestly say that over the past two and a half seasons you`ve been routinely entertained or have enjoyed the majority of games?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 10:22

we have been poor for years at East End and one season in league 1 does not change that
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 10:50

It`s time for a move. Is there room at Rosyth for some stands? That would definitely improve our fortunes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rikaka  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 11:11

I don`t think it`s much to do with home or away, we have been a tough watch for a good few years now, even the successful league 1 campaign wasn`t overly entertaining.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 11:11

You`ve already said that - and it`s been pointed out it isn`t really the case - results-wise at least.

Entertainment factor is a bit more subjective. I don`t think most fans care about entertainment though - if the results are right.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 12:53

First 2 thirds of Crawford last season (covid): 6 wins from 9
Second third of last Crawford season (covid): 3 from 5 then a 0-0 draw in the home play off semi final first leg.

First half of relegation season: 1 win from 9 (Hughes`s First game)
Second half of relegation season: 4 wins from 9 plus home defeat in play off semi final second leg.

First half of last season: 4 wins from 9, all by 1 goal
Second half of last season: 6 wins from 9

First half of this season: 3 wins from 9
Second half of this season: 1 win from 5 so far.

So I make that 28 home wins from 66 home games over three and a bit seasons, and if we take out the Crawford/Covid results then it`s 19 wins from 51 games. Think that`s fair enough to say we`ve not been great at home for a good fee years, no?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 13:12

Quote:

kelty_par, Sat 9 Mar 09:48

Maybe da_no_1, but can you honestly say that over the past two and a half seasons you`ve been routinely entertained or have enjoyed the majority of games?

I honestly couldn`t give 2 flying fcuks about entertainment. I want my team to win games

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 13:23

We had a good home record in 19/20, 20/21 and 22/23. That`s indisputable. We lost 7 games in the league (out of 47) in those seasons.

Even the last Championship season in 21/22 was 5-8-5.

This season, it`s clearly very poor.

So, no, I`d say we`ve had a mixed bag.

Post Edited (Sat 09 Mar 13:25)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net