DAFC.net
Home 20 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Something I heard today…..
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 19:30

Throughout the course of today I bumped into someone I know who is associated with the club, he told me Mcpake identified 8 signing targets at the end of last season. Every one was quickly rejected on cost.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Something I heard today…..
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 19:35

He said Kane was his number 1 target though? And the left back was always one he wanted to bring in alongside wotherspoon who he wanted last season.

I’d imagine he was told players would have to leave to make space in the budget for replacements…..but he’d already signed 19 players up for this season.

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 19:54

Doesn’t matter who we sign, his style of football is shlte

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."

Post Edited (Mon 12 Aug 19:55)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 19:59

His last interview at the end of the season was it was going to be a big summer for the club. Cook needs to get out and explain to the fans wtf is going on. Were in complete free fall again….
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OorWullie  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 20:01

Where is our CEO? Is he busy preparing the answers to the questions he’s composing ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 20:22

Aberdeen are spending 5 - 800 thousand on a single player. Then there is us.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kdy Par  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 20:37

Quote:

kozmasrightfoot, Mon 12 Aug 20:22

Funded by selling a player for £6.8m. Not really a good comparison.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 20:54

Austin Samuels to join Queen`s Park as Spider close in on former Inverness and Aberdeen forward.
Partick Thistle The club is pleased to announce the signing of Swedish defender Casper Nilsson on a season-long loan deal from Brighton and Hove Albion, subject to Scottish FA approval and international clearance.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: pars no1  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 22:46

Quote:

The most absurd comparison I have ever seen
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Steviethepar2  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 22:57

Quote:

pars no1, Mon 12 Aug 22:46

Quote:

The most absurd comparison I have ever seen

Think we are closer to Chelsea £185 so far (sorry mistook that didn’t have glasses on £185m) 🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Steviethepar2  
Date:   Mon 12 Aug 23:04

On a serious note this is the concern we finished season with 3 months to review where we needed to strengthen and prepare for the season

Given that McPake surely must’ve had a plan and list of targets including surely a goalkeeper and left back what happened??? Over to the board.. maybe
Doesn’t help players under contract and not good enough and unlikely to be wanted else where - not going into that debate again

Post Edited (Mon 12 Aug 23:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Tue 13 Aug 00:00

Quote:

Never10yairds, Mon 12 Aug 19:30

Throughout the course of today I bumped into someone I know who is associated with the club, he told me Mcpake identified 8 signing targets at the end of last season. Every one was quickly rejected on cost.

That would work in with the managers statement that there was going to be a busy summer ,and he`s had the rug pulled from under him
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Tue 13 Aug 09:28

Depends who the 8 targets were....were they available, realistic, willing to come to us?

If I were manager I could `target` MBappe, Bellingham, Saka and Donnarumma. It wouldn`t be the board`s fault if they didn`t sign - it`d be my fault for targeting players out of our league.

Personally, I`m surprised at McPake speaking so openly about the lack of signings - to me it sounds like a man trying to protect his reputation rather than a man trying to do the best with what he has.

The squad`s not great, but there`s some quality in there, and it`s down to him to get them playing better.

KRH, Otoo, Hamilton, Kane, Wotherspoon are all quality players, more than good enough for the championship. McPake ain`t getting the best out of them and that`s on him.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Fethiyespar  
Date:   Tue 13 Aug 09:51

Quote:

Bandy, Tue 13 Aug 09:28

Depends who the 8 targets were....were they available, realistic, willing to come to us?

If I were manager I could `target` MBappe, Bellingham, Saka and Donnarumma. It wouldn`t be the board`s fault if they didn`t sign - it`d be my fault for targeting players out of our league.

Personally, I`m surprised at McPake speaking so openly about the lack of signings - to me it sounds like a man trying to protect his reputation rather than a man trying to do the best with what he has.

The squad`s not great, but there`s some quality in there, and it`s down to him to get them playing better.

KRH, Otoo, Hamilton, Kane, Wotherspoon are all quality players, more than good enough for the championship. McPake ain`t getting the best out of them and that`s on him.

Watch Josh Edwards flourish at Charlton, full debut and MOM on Saturday.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Tue 13 Aug 10:20

Exactly my point - we have a good team with good players.

Yes - we need some signings, but the squad should be good enough to pick up some points.

Right now we look like relegation fodder despite having some good players.

There`s a general malaise around the club - and McPake isn`t helping that malaise.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Tue 13 Aug 12:19

We have some good players but not sure I`d rate our current first XI as "good", never mind the subs bench. We need 2 or 3 additional "good" players for the first XI imo.

Increasing the quality of the squad with just a few players will make a huge difference.

Not much talk officially about loan players recently unless I missed it, which is a bit worrying.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Tue 13 Aug 16:22

I wasn`t aware that Aberdeen had sold a player for such a huge amount (that`s amazing business for them), I just read small segment on the BBC football gossip page about them bidding for a player. This made me a tad envious, as we are in a completely different situation.

Why do people have to be such prissy little tea wife beatches on here? Go and get laid or knock one out, anything to chill you out a bit ffs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Tue 13 Aug 20:47

I`m sure the board have regular board meetings. I wouldn`t see that as an indicator of issues. It may be that they discuss a range of things, one of which may be investment in the playing squad.

I recall the club made a statement about how they intended to run the club. In line with that, and given we are only two games into the season, that conversation quite rightly would not be around changing the management team. What sort of message would that send given they got us out of the league 1 at the first time of asking and kept is in the championship last season. Granted, we are looking for continuous improvement, and it`s how you set your stall out to do that. How do you create the right environment to develop the squad, youth, reserves, and 1st team. Sacking managers every season when we go through a rough patch isn`t the answer. You need to find the levers to pull in a purposeful and positive that brings about the change needed. Its going to be a balance at the end of the day I.e. getting the best value out of any investment that recognises you are dealing with people and their livelihoods.

If you think about it, it`s pretty cheap to go and watch football at home. I`d be quite happy to pay more for an adult to watch the game and make a small financial contribution. Contrast that with dropping the price for youngsters to encourage the supporters of the future.

Post Edited (Tue 13 Aug 21:17)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Tue 13 Aug 21:24

We won league 1 with the biggest budget. Granted, we still needed to win it. But most managers would`ve been able to atleast get in the top 2.

We have been p*** poor for almost 12 months now. Barring a few good performances. And for every good performance, we have had absolute horrible stinkers, probably more.

There is an absolute lack of cohesion within the squad. They don`t look well trained or well drilled.

Mehmet seems to have a job for life, O`halloran looks to be frozen out.

We are struggling to score and have just been beaten by two part-time teams at home. We don`t look fit.

There`s alot wrong at EEP and the easiest thing to change first is the manager.

If it was me making the decision I would`ve done it last season after Queens park at East end.

Failing that, I probably would`ve done it after the league Cup exit.

I feel that he will probably be gone mid-September with us winless and almost goalless with whoever coming in, getting a January window hailmary to save our status.

It is quite sad, but I feel Mcpake whilst being unlucky could`ve done alot better.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Tue 13 Aug 21:48

Quote:

kozmasrightfoot, Tue 13 Aug 16:22

I wasn`t aware that Aberdeen had sold a player for such a huge amount (that`s amazing business for them), I just read small segment on the BBC football gossip page about them bidding for a player. This made me a tad envious, as we are in a completely different situation.

Why do people have to be such prissy little tea wife beatches on here? Go and get laid or knock one out, anything to chill you out a bit ffs.

Lol. Good to see you`ve handled being corrected so well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 11:18

worrying thing is when we got relegated in 2022 at least could score goals this shower cant score goals

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 11:43

Quote:

Indiapar, Tue 13 Aug 20:47

I`m sure the board have regular board meetings. I wouldn`t see that as an indicator of issues. It may be that they discuss a range of things, one of which may be investment in the playing squad.

I recall the club made a statement about how they intended to run the club. In line with that, and given we are only two games into the season, that conversation quite rightly would not be around changing the management team. What sort of message would that send given they got us out of the league 1 at the first time of asking and kept is in the championship last season. Granted, we are looking for continuous improvement, and it`s how you set your stall out to do that. How do you create the right environment to develop the squad, youth, reserves, and 1st team. Sacking managers every season when we go through a rough patch isn`t the answer. You need to find the levers to pull in a purposeful and positive that brings about the change needed. Its going to be a balance at the end of the day I.e. getting the best value out of any investment that recognises you are dealing with people and their livelihoods.

If you think about it, it`s pretty cheap to go and watch football at home. I`d be quite happy to pay more for an adult to watch the game and make a small financial contribution. Contrast that with dropping the price for youngsters to encourage the supporters of the future.

A very measured and reasoned response. I don’t know for sure, but I’d be surprised if the Board are happy with results, but measure that against progress over 2 years, and balance with the costs of replacing the coaching staff.

We will improve, players coming back from injury, just need to secure a keeper and maybe 2 loanees - which is always for us going to happen at the end of August.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 12:04

"We will improve, players coming back from injury, just need to secure a keeper and maybe 2 loanees - which is always for us going to happen at the end of August."

I`d really like to believe that but I`m not so sure. Compare our results and performances with around this time last year.

League Cup

Raith 1-1 - won on pens
Annan 4-0
Killie 0-2
Albion 3-0

League

Airdrie 2-1
Dundee Utd 1-1 - very late equaliser

I`m trying to think of who is playing better now than 12 months ago? I can`t really name one.

I know that confidence plays a part.

Injuries also look to have taken their toll on the likes of Bene, Fisher, KRH, Todd and Comrie, as they have not returned to the levels they are capable of, IMO?

We have also lost Edwards, who would always give energy down the left. Kieran is still bedding in and now injured.

Kane and Todd should make a difference, but will it be enough?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 12:06

Quote:

SeasonedPar, Thu 15 Aug 11:43

Quote:

Indiapar, Tue 13 Aug 20:47

A very measured and reasoned response. I don’t know for sure, but I’d be surprised if the Board are happy with results, but measure that against progress over 2 years, and balance with the costs of replacing the coaching staff.

We will improve, players coming back from injury, just need to secure a keeper and maybe 2 loanees - which is always for us going to happen at the end of August.

We need more than 3 players...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 13:23

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 15 Aug 12:04

"We will improve, players coming back from injury, just need to secure a keeper and maybe 2 loanees - which is always for us going to happen at the end of August."

I`d really like to believe that but I`m not so sure. Compare our results and performances with around this time last year.

League Cup

Raith 1-1 - won on pens
Annan 4-0
Killie 0-2
Albion 3-0

League

Airdrie 2-1

I`m trying to think of who is playing better now than 12 months ago? I can`t really name one.

Injuries also look to have taken their toll on the likes of Bene, Fisher, KRH, Todd and Comrie, as they have not returned to the levels they are capable of, IMO?

We have also lost Edwards, who would always give energy down the left. Kieran is still bedding in and now injured.

This Board think long term. You’ve seen the team this season, I’ll see 31 Aug, but winning a league, consolidating last season, as you say, players come back from injury surely gives some grounds for optimism?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 13:35

"This Board think long term. You’ve seen the team this season, I’ll see 31 Aug, but winning a league, consolidating last season, as you say, players come back from injury surely gives some grounds for optimism?"

It`s hard to be optimistic, when even the manager is down beat.

The board don`t provide me with much comfort either, as we never hear from them. Is their plan still on track? Does it need revised?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 14:00

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 15 Aug 13:35

"This Board think long term. You’ve seen the team this season, I’ll see 31 Aug, but winning a league, consolidating last season, as you say, players come back from injury surely gives some grounds for optimism?"

The board don`t provide me with much comfort either, as we never hear from them. Is their plan still on track? Does it need revised?

Their plan is off track and has been revised, and that`s why we are cutting costs in an attempt to get it back on track.

I suspect come January, it`ll be a hail mary with funds released to ensure our survival.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 14:29

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 15 Aug 13:35

“Never hear from them”? Are you sure?

I’m as unhappy as anyone Ramie, and not enjoying the results, but hoping we can keep players fit. We also need 2/3 new players (loans?) in the next 2 weeks to strengthen and we should have a squad able to compete in this league.

If not, only freed players available and no options for new faces till January. With apparently a big overspend from last season..

Should the Board stick or twist? I’ve no idea but I know what I’d prefer.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 15:24

“Never hear from them”? Are you sure?"

Ok, a bit of hyperbole to emphasise that the last update to the fans about football was on the 5th July from David Cook.

Since then we have had a short statement on 17th July about two new directors coming in.

It`s not much is it, when after every game it seems, the manager mentions the lack of options he can call on?

"Should the Board stick or twist? I’ve no idea but I know what I’d prefer."

I certainly wouldn`t condone reckless spending or gambling with funds, but an understanding of how we find ourselves in this position, when all our rivals seem to be strengthening their squads, would be most welcome

Post Edited (Thu 15 Aug 15:29)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 16:29

Spot on Raymie.

I`d give specific mention to the silence after saying we are looking for a GK to `compete with Deniz Mehmet`.

The club should be doing more to dispel supporters concerns, and not doing so just adds further fuel. These concerns are vented against virtually every post the club puts out on social media platforms.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 16:45

Quote:

Jeffery, Thu 15 Aug 16:29

Spot on Raymie.

I`d give specific mention to the silence after saying we are looking for a GK to `compete with Deniz Mehmet`.

The club should be doing more to dispel supporters concerns, and not doing so just adds further fuel. These concerns are vented against virtually every post the club puts out on social media platforms.

We surely must be the only full time club in the UK with 1 keeper nothing short of an embarrassment.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 17:47

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 15 Aug 15:24

“Never hear from them”? Are you sure?"

Ok, a bit of hyperbole to emphasise that the last update to the fans about football was on the 5th July from David Cook.

Since then we have had a short statement on 17th July about two new directors coming in.

It`s not much is it, when after every game it seems, the manager mentions the lack of options he can call on?

"Should the Board stick or twist? I’ve no idea but I know what I’d prefer."

I certainly wouldn`t condone reckless spending or gambling with funds, but an understanding of how we find ourselves in this position, when all our rivals seem to be strengthening their squads, would be most welcome

All academic now. Very, very disappointed in them.

Post Edited (Thu 15 Aug 17:58)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NMCmassive  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 20:53

Quote:

SeasonedPar, Thu 15 Aug 13:23

Quote:

League Cup

Raith 1-1 - won on pens
Annan 4-0
Killie 0-2
Albion 3-0

League

Airdrie 2-1

This Board think long term. You’ve seen the team this season, I’ll see 31 Aug, but winning a league, consolidating last season, as you say, players come back from injury surely gives some grounds for optimism?

Timed this comment well eh! No being funny but there was to much smoke for their no to be a fire. I started hearing murmurs of disgruntlement from start of last season from a people who were in and around the peers of the board. Obviously some point between then and now they’ve decided to pull the plug but it was obvious something was happening when we couldn’t afford the wages other clubs in the league were paying.

Long term thinking - my backside

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 08:19

Quote:

NMCmassive, Thu 15 Aug 20:53

Quote:

SeasonedPar, Thu 15 Aug 13:23

Quote:

League Cup

Raith 1-1 - won on pens
Annan 4-0
Killie 0-2
Albion 3-0

League

Airdrie 2-1

Timed this comment well eh! No being funny but there was to much smoke for their no to be a fire. I started hearing murmurs of disgruntlement from start of last season from a people who were in and around the peers of the board. Obviously some point between then and now they’ve decided to pull the plug but it was obvious something was happening when we couldn’t afford the wages other clubs in the league were paying.

Long term thinking - my backside

Indeed! That statement did say words to the effect that fans would rather they threw money at the first team. They’ve changed their mind on the long term. Because of unhappy fans? Or because they can’t sustain their long term plans? A bit of both?

The 1st team needs extra bodies. If it’s not doing well, everything else suffers. The CFO clearly feels budget cuts are necessary. Perhaps a pause on Rosyth isn’t possible due to contractual reasons? Either way, I’m very disappointed but they’ll be around for a good while. Finding a buyer will be complicated and time consuming.

Hoping the extra funds just released can be spent wisely and all of us Pars fans get behind the team.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net